Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jason976

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by jason976 »

So I watched the International Pilot ending this morning. A couple of interesting notes:

1). It was definitely the hospital so no connection to where James is at the Great Northern other than similar look and feel.

But...

2). The sound that Ben and James hear at the hotel in The Return is clearly happening when Bob is talking to Cooper and Truman. This took my by surprise but it's clear. Check it out.
430RichardandLinda

Post by 430RichardandLinda »

jason976 wrote:So I watched the International Pilot ending this morning. A couple of interesting notes:

1). It was definitely the hospital so no connection to where James is at the Great Northern other than similar look and feel.

But...

2). The sound that Ben and James hear at the hotel in The Return is clearly happening when Bob is talking to Cooper and Truman. This took my by surprise but it's clear. Check it out.
I just rewatched the International Pilot too, had the exact same thought about the sound. Maybe James and Glove Boy will be as important to the story as we were led to believe by Marshall's interviews...
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

jason976 wrote:So I watched the International Pilot ending this morning. A couple of interesting notes:

But...

Well, I'll be damned. You know what, it's a different pitch but I think it actually is the same sound. It manifests as soon as BOB asks about Mike. Good find. Could Mike be the source of the hum?

I'm glad you pointed to this because as I watched the scene, I also made a Twin Peaks discovery. It's another oddity related to The One-Armed Man, so I'll trade you one Mike discovery for another. An arm for an arm, if you will.

Before collapsing, Mike suddenly has a complete change of character, briefly stopping to ask, "Have you got a nickel?" as if his mind is suddenly elsewhere in time and space. I always thought this was so strange, but seeing it now in the context of future events, it really makes me think of the scene where Hawk drops that Buffalo Nickel, leading him to the missing pages from Laura's diary. I could buy that the scene was written around Mike's question in the basement, and his visit to the bathroom stall in the police department days later. Was Mike the one to put those pages there, even though Hawk speculated that it could have been Leland?
jason976

Post by jason976 »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:

But...

Well, I'll be damned. You know what, it's a different pitch but I think it actually is the same sound. It manifests as soon as BOB asks about Mike. Good find. Could Mike be the source of the hum?

I'm glad you pointed to this because as I watched the scene, I also made a Twin Peaks discovery. It's another oddity related to The One-Armed Man, so I'll trade you one Mike discovery for another. An arm for an arm, if you will.

Before collapsing, Mike suddenly has a complete change of character, briefly stopping to ask, "Have you got a nickel?" as if his mind is suddenly elsewhere in time and space. I always thought this was so strange, but seeing it now in the context of future events, it really makes me think of the scene where Hawk drops that Buffalo Nickel, leading him to the missing pages from Laura's diary. I could buy that the scene was written around Mike's question in the basement, and his visit to the bathroom stall in the police department days later. Was Mike the one to put those pages there, even though Hawk speculated that it could have been Leland?
Good catch! I couldn't tell what he said at first but just watched again. Definitely asked about a nickel which is so random during that moment.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I know who the Dreamer may be. The woodsman put people to sleep in Part 8 and then the mother invades their dreams with her own.

Destroy the mother, destroy the dream.
I like this very much!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Thinking about Freddie the glove boy.

He said something about his fist being a "pile driver." But the thought that comes to me is "Squeeze his hand off!"

I just have a feeling someone is going to lose a hand.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It's interesting that Sarah seems not to WANT to attack the trucker. She essentially begs him to return to his table, twice saying "please" in an imploring manner before finally becoming threatening. The possession, or whatever is going on with her, definitely has the sense of something she doesn't like but can't control. Which arguably isn't that far off than Leland/Bob.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

jason976 wrote::oops:
claaa7 wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "double murder" Cole's talking about Major Briggs and Ruth Davenport? Or is there a second "double header" that people are referring to?
they are talking about the murder that Mister C sent out Hutch and Chantal to do in Las Vegas following the offing of Warden Murphy.. we only know that its two people that he wants killed
The double header in Vegas hasn't occurred yet. When Cole calls the Vegas FBI he is referring to Ruth and Briggs.
I didn't read it that way at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mibbler
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mibbler »

Two subjects I would like to comment:

-I think the scene of Andy & Lucy that Andy sees in the White Lodge could be related to
Spoiler:
the scene of Andy we saw in the first trailer which hasn't happened yet: The one with Andy looking at somebody with a smile while he's closing the door of a car.
My bet is that Andy sees Cooper arriving at the sheriff's station and then he wants to give Lucy a surprise by leading her to a room to meet Cooper.

-About Freddie's story: It's funny how straightforward the Fireman talked to him and how cryptic has always been with Cooper, don't you think?
Mibbler
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mibbler »

And more:

From what Albert tells Tammy about Lois Duffy... Can we infere that only oneself is able to kill his/her doppelganger? But... another thing Albert mentions is that Lois was shot in her abdomen. Maybe if somebody else had shot Lois in her abdomen (and not in her head, let's say) would the woodsmen have appeared in that room to help her, as they did with Mr. C?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Someone on the old spoiler thread mentioned DKL improvising, on the fly, a shot of a burning cigarette coming out of the pitch dark, revealing Sarah as she enters the Elk's Point #9. I'd been looking forward to this shot FOREVER, but I guess he cut it (or maybe couldn't make the lighting work?)
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Mibbler wrote: -About Freddie's story: It's funny how straightforward the Fireman talked to him and how cryptic has always been with Cooper, don't you think?
We are the third party, and we are like outsiders watching two people speak a different language.

Andy also seemed to "get it" completely. And I presume Cooper does too, since in the first scene he perfectly understood the numbers.

We only heard Freddie's telling of it. We did not witness it.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

The humming during BOB's speech from the international pilot / dream of EP 2 being similar to the Great Northern hum is a wonderful observation! I doubt it's a coincidence. Can't wait to see what James finds behind that door. Monica Bellucci? Harry Truman? Lana Milford?
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Rewatched the pilot about an hour ago and my best guess is that the hum is MIKE's theme. It plays first when he talks about his origins, in the autopsy/morgue room. Later, in the basement, its recurrence coincides with BOB's awareness that MIKE is about to enter the room.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

wxray wrote:
Mibbler wrote: -About Freddie's story: It's funny how straightforward the Fireman talked to him and how cryptic has always been with Cooper, don't you think?
We are the third party, and we are like outsiders watching two people speak a different language.

Andy also seemed to "get it" completely. And I presume Cooper does too, since in the first scene he perfectly understood the numbers.

We only heard Freddie's telling of it. We did not witness it.
He deals with all 3 vastly differently even in just this season. I think that's him adapting to the person he's talking to. Andy gets images, almost no speaking, but the images give him context so he can decide what to do.

Freddy gets very direct speaking, but its instructions. There is no explanation. There is no context.

Cooper, the most intellectual of the 3, gets clues he needs to unravel and a path to follow. I suspect this is both because of the sort of quester Cooper is, he is an investigator who wants answers but needs to UNDERSTAND those answers and fit them into a greater philosophy.

Also, Cooper is the most willful character. The clues let him see for himself that he can trust the source, and allow him to approach the answers in a way he'll accept them rather than reject them.

With Andy, seeing is believing. He accepts what he's shown and he has a talent for figuring out visual puzzles like the owl cave map. He saw the images, discerned Naido's importance and the danger, and knew just what to do.

Freddy seems even more accepting than Andy. He's told to do something, he'll give it a try.