Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

Regarding the Bowie voice dubbing, I have to ask why they'd bother to get someone to do a very solid mimicking of Bowie's original line if they were trying to have us acclimate to a new voice actor or something like that.

I didn't notice it the first time. People mentioned it, and I went back and compared it to TMP, and sure enough it was different (but still very close). It seemed that the goal was simply to copy Bowie's original line as closely as possible using a different actor. It's really weird.

I don't think that we can rule out some bizarre legal issue, but honestly I have no idea what's going on here.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Jasper wrote:Regarding the Bowie voice dubbing, I have to ask why they'd bother to get someone to do a very solid mimicking of Bowie's original line if they were trying to have us acclimate to a new voice actor or something like that.

I didn't notice it the first time. People mentioned it, and I went back and compared it to TMP, and sure enough it was different (but still very close). It seemed that the goal was simply to copy Bowie's original line as closely as possible using a different actor. It's really weird.

I don't think that we can rule out some bizarre legal issue, but honestly I have no idea what's going on here.
probably more lines to come, this way it matches better
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

nick1218 wrote:
Jasper wrote:Regarding the Bowie voice dubbing, I have to ask why they'd bother to get someone to do a very solid mimicking of Bowie's original line if they were trying to have us acclimate to a new voice actor or something like that.

The thing is, they got it so damn close I don't see the point in dubbing it, even if they're introducing a voice actor who's going to do more work in the remaining parts.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

wxray wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Chad sure got what he deserved. Besides being arrested while the others brought their lunch to the conference room, he had to listen to monkey sounds all night. Oh boy, that scene was amazing. I laughed so hard, mostly because it was such a contrast compared to what came before.
If he gets a good lawyer, he'll be out for false imprisonment. Nothing will stand up to trial since he wasn't read his Miranda rights.

But that's all a technicality for now since it looks like some serious sh-- is going to come down on Twin Peaks!
That's not how Miranda works.
There was no need to mirandize him. Good job by Lynch, avoiding a cliche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Jasper wrote:
nick1218 wrote:

The thing is, they got it so damn close I don't see the point in dubbing it, even if they're introducing a voice actor who's going to do more work in the remaining parts.
I noticed it, but still think it's weird to dub this one line. Why not let the old Jeffries have his original voice and the new Jeffries have the new voice? He will probably somehow be identified as Jeffries in the series and people will get that it's supposed to be the same character without the redubbing of that line.

I don't think it was done for legal issues, I mean they were allowed to release the film and the missing pieces, so if they have the rights to reuse the scene in the new series, why wouldn't they have the rights for that one spoken line?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Jasper wrote:
nick1218 wrote:
I noticed it, but still think it's weird to dub this one line. Why not let the old Jeffries have his original voice and the new Jeffries have the new voice? He will probably somehow be identified as Jeffries in the series and people will get that it's supposed to be the same character without the redubbing of that line.

I don't think it was done for legal issues, I mean they were allowed to release the film and the missing pieces, so if they have the rights to reuse the scene in the new series, why wouldn't they have the rights for that one spoken line?
It's possible that they had no rights for any other use. Probably a way to prevent the producer to create other non video products (a song?) out of it. Who knows... lawyers.

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I'm getting worried we may not see Hank (episode 1) again. I thought that he and Harvey, and maybe Chip, could be the key to this whole thing. :wink:

Its looking more like that excellent scene was just to set a tone of miscommunication and lost opportunities. Hank didn't look like a doctor, so that probably was not a stethascope in that black bag he was holding. I'll call it here first and say it's a green gardening glove in there! :mrgreen:
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Me too. I was hoping we would learn what Hank was up to and who was on the phone. And what about the 119 woman? She appeared in three episodes at the beginning of the season and then just disappeared.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

If they bothered to re-do the Bowie line, I don't know who that was supposed to be on the phone to BadCoop, because it didn't sound like someone doing a DB impersonation. Now, I know there is some confusion about who it actually is - even BadCoop is uncertain - but it was Jeffries, right?
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Deep Thought wrote:I'm getting worried we may not see Hank (episode 1) again. I thought that he and Harvey, and maybe Chip, could be the key to this whole thing. :wink: Its looking more like that excellent scene was just to set a tone of miscommunication and lost opportunities. Hank didn't look like a doctor, so that probably was not a stethascope in that black bag he was holding. I'll call it here first and say it was a green gardening glove in there! :mrgreen:
Now you had to go and remind me about Max Perlich's character. (I've adored him ever since Drugstore Cowboy.)
Personally I miss "Armstrong." I didnt' recall ever seeing a dog with a credited role in TP until that.

Maybe Harvey is the missing 'uncle' of Tina/ Megan? why should her uncle have to be a resident of Twin Peaks? ; )
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

The honking woman with the sick girl in the car in Part 11 was also talking about an uncle ("Her uncle's joining us. She hasn't seen him in a very long while.")
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

thedarktrees wrote:The stuff with Andy this episode has been a really interesting left turn. I really like how they showed that, when it comes down to it, Andy's bumbling goofiness is really only the surface of someone who's deeply and sincerely caring and capable. He goes right to Naidoo and kneels down to assist her without reservation, he's drawn to what's happening with the vortex, he take no-nonsense charge of things after meeting the Fireman, etc.
Yeah, and that scene with the Fireman is a slap to the face of people who spent weeks complaining about the Andy/Lucy goofy scenes serving no purpose.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

douglasb wrote:If they bothered to re-do the Bowie line, I don't know who that was supposed to be on the phone to BadCoop, because it didn't sound like someone doing a DB impersonation. Now, I know there is some confusion about who it actually is - even BadCoop is uncertain - but it was Jeffries, right?
I'm not sure your exact question. How do we have any way of verifying it was Jeffries?? Did I miss something -- or are you asking folks here if you missed something?
----
I need to re-watch Part 8 where the Gotta LIght? woodsman approaches the radio station, pulls open the door after throwing his cigarette aside and enters, in a deliberate manner. It seemed with Part 14 as I watched Sarah emerge from the shadows toward the tavern, there was a similar deliberate-ness; and smoking a cigarette. Not showing her driving in and parking rather (although, many places in Twin Peaks are walking distance I'd suppose) made it feel like she 'manifested' there in a way.

Or else she'd had too many Bloody Mary's at home to drive soberly, walked for safety, because she'd run out of vodka; and ended up there ;)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Sky is reporting episode 15 as 70 minutes long. If true, it's going to be wild.
Any ideas how to confirm with Showtime?

EDIT Just checked Showtime: 60 minutes.

wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Me too. I was hoping we would learn what Hank was up to and who was on the phone. And what about the 119 woman? She appeared in three episodes at the beginning of the season and then just disappeared.
I'm wondering if we might not see her again.

My theory on her is that she saw something. This block in Vegas is likely a portal area. Maybe that's why everyone is trying to move out. Perhaps she saw the portal when it opened (perhaps when Dougie was manufactured??). She got some "lodge reverse logic" embedded in her, hence the 1-1-9 instead of 9-1-1. She turned to drugs, liquor, pills and red balls to dull the pain from her experience.