Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mallard
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by Mallard »

iar wrote:Sarah's obsession with Bloody Marys is like my wife's obsession with Bloody Marys. Should I be concerned?
Yes, I'd be concerned. Heartburn isn't fun for anybody.
Welcome...to the third...place.
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

dugpa wrote:
aldiboronti wrote:
sycamore wrote:ok everyone, I need assistance on this one. I'm keeping the cast and character list updated (see the link in my signature). In part 14, Nathan Frizell is credited as "Voice" ... he is not on the original cast list. Is this possibly the voice of Phillip Jeffries? Can anyone tell if David Bowie is speaking this line from FWWM or TMP or if it's a voiceover? thanks!
Just wanted to give you kudos on your cast list. It's so comprehensive and incredibly helpful.
Found this comparison

Thanks all! Between this video comparison and Nathan Frizzell's tweet, there's no question he's the voice of Jeffries in part 14. The cast & character list is updated with this info. Now I'm looking for the comparison between part 14 and part 2. Is that also Nathan Frizzell talking with Mr C on the phone? I'm no voice expert. I can't tell.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Anyone think the woman at the roadhouse who says she's Tina's daughter is possibly Linda ?
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

Snailhead wrote:Anyone think the woman at the roadhouse who says she's Tina's daughter is possibly Linda ?
The credits say that the two women are Megan (Shane Lynch) talking with Sophie (Emily Stofle). The credits have given early explanations (Richard Horne), been mysterious (??????? / The Fireman), been incomplete (Shelly / Shelly Briggs), and could mislead. They've mostly been exactly correct.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Frizzel is nearly indistinguishable from Bowie's voice. :shock:
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Lately I hear people on here and the net saying we haven't heard about Linda yet, but her character may very well have been introduced way back in that one Harry Dean episode where we learn that Linda is a vet in a wheelchair who lives in the Fat Trout.

Be patient! :)

We should have all realized by now that Lynch and Frost will deal with plot threads when they feel it's the right time.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Lately I hear people on here and the net saying we haven't heard about Linda yet, but her character may very well have been introduced way back in that one Harry Dean episode where we learn that Linda is a vet in a wheelchair who lives in the Fat Trout.

Be patient! :)

We should have all realized by now that Lynch and Frost will deal with plot threads when they feel it's the right time.
I firmly believe that "4 3 0" and "two birds with one stone" will come to make sense during the remaining 4 hrs.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Unless she was walking to the bar from the parking lot or bus station :mrgreen: I think there was nothing in that bar that specified the location, it could be anywhere, but I assumed Twin Peaks was the most logical solution because Sarah was walking. And a couple of people in Twin Peaks have deer head and other deer decoration, so a deer reference wouldn't be exclusive for Deer Meadow.
i certainly got the impression she was in Twin Peaks as well... i find the setting and the trucker to remind me of Laura's run-ins with the rapist truck drivers in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. i listened to that book recently and it was fantastic to hear it being acted out by Sheryl Lee herself. brought a lot of gravitas to that book. strongly recommended listening for any TP fan
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Esselgee wrote:The Star Pics cards show James' birthday as being 1/1/73. So it should now be 10/1? 10/1/72?
without hesitation i would take the information presented in the actual series (new or old) as the one to be considered canon above anything from the Star Pics cards.. they are a fun little item, nothing more or less. i mean Lynch and Frost had no problem totally derailing from Laura Palmer's diary and Scott Frost's book in the original series so you can imagine that they don't consider the Star Pics card to be the mark of truth
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Wally Brando wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Dallas???? (now, who are the "kids") :lol: :lol:
Ha, ha, wow, I forgot about Dallas, which is even older than St. Elsewhere. Yep, I watched that, too.
:lol: I have previously suggested on another forum that The Return could end with Cooper stepping out of the shower, having done a Bobby Ewing :shock:
Bobby Ewing was not the dreamer. So who would be the dreamer in our context, if not Cooper?
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

mtwentz wrote:
Saela wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Hey folks, we've got 4 hours to go and these are the subplots we have to find resolution to (in addition to the main Good Coop/Bad Coop/Janey-E plot):

1. Red/Shelly/Bobby
2. Steven/Becky
3. Audrey's story (including presumably Richard and Charlie)
4. James/Renee
5. Ben/Beverly
6. Ed/Norma and Norma's Pies
7. Dr. Amp/Nadine

In addition, we also have yet to find out the fates of the following characters who do not appear this season: Annie, Leo and Donna

Do you think we can get resolution to all this in 4 hours? Or will we have to wait for Frost's book to get some of the final answers? Am I missing anything?
I think a lot of those subplots could be finished with only a scene or two...and I think the whole Norma/Ed thing doesn't necessarily need anything more than what we've seen. Norma is in a relationship with some quy who wants to change the way she makes her delicious pies (which is why we don't like him), while Ed is still alone and sad.

Also, I don't think we'll ever know what happened to Donna and Leo, but if Lynch/Frost really want to give us something, a sentence would be enough.
Long story short, I think there's still enough time.
I generally agree. I mean, I honestly don't really care that much about most of them, they seem to be peripheral.

The exception would be Red and how he affects the town and Bobby and Shelly. It seems to me there has to be a confrontation building in that storyline and I am surprised we have not seen more of it up until now.
It could be that the real focus of the show is the Return of Cooper (and Laura, perhaps). We see snap shots of life in Twin Peaks, seeing that it's just as terrible as it ever was (and, in some instances worse), but unless they're important to the main plot, there's no reason to resolve them to a point of completion.

It does make me wonder about what stuff we've already been shown though. Jerry spent many episodes lost in the woods. Although I assumed he'd escaped back to civilisation, what did that whole subplot tell us?

I assume we'll find out more about Red, as he seems to be connected to characters that otherwise seem important (significantly Shelly, but specifically Richard, who may/may not be connected to Mr C, and who Cooper was told was important in episode 1).

Season 2 ended on a lot of cliffhangers. I wonder if any of these loose ends will lead to similar unresolved cliffhangers (with the suggestion that they could be resolved by a fourth series, if the network decides it wants one - or in the Final Dossier book).
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:The recording of Jeffries' line in Part 14 was neither the one from FWWM nor the Missing Pieces. It sounded like a different voice, was it even Bowie?
It was definitely lip-sync. Was watching closely.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that the voice actor was doing a good job at dubbing Bowie or that you think he was not dubbed or that it was noticeable from lip movement that he was dubbed? We got confirmation that Nathan Frizzell was dubbing him, by now.
Bowie said that exact sentence. So if they dub it, it sure means there's more incoming. I guess we'll see distirted Bowie images with the new voice or something like that.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

BigEd wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote: That's my guess as well, but wouldn't she have been "Janey E." rather than "Janey-E"? It seems like the addition of a hyphen was deliberate misleading so everyone would think it's a middle name instead of a last name.
But that's not really how nicknames work... Nicknames can even not have anything to do with given names, like "T-Bone," or (my long-standing nick) "asshole."
Now I'm confused. Are you saying that nicknames absolutely can not work like this? Not sure where you are from, but nicknames can happen many different ways and the way suggested above is absolutely one of them. :roll:
Uh - yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. "Nicknames can even not have anything to do..." I explicitly stated that nicknames don't have a set, defined structure, by use of the conditional verb "can." i.e. "to be able." The way stated originally, "Janey E" is one way a nickname can be, so is "Janey-E." Because there's no set in stone way for nicknames to be, they tend to evolve organically rather than according to some set of precepts.
jason976

Post by jason976 »

sycamore wrote:
Snailhead wrote:Anyone think the woman at the roadhouse who says she's Tina's daughter is possibly Linda ?
The credits say that the two women are Megan (Shane Lynch) talking with Sophie (Emily Stofle). The credits have given early explanations (Richard Horne), been mysterious (??????? / The Fireman), been incomplete (Shelly / Shelly Briggs), and could mislead. They've mostly been exactly correct.
Linda's name was mentioned back in episode 6. The guy in the van with Carl mentioned her. She's in a wheel chair from a war injury? Something like that but I'd have to go back and watch again. Either way, that was the only mention of her but I expect we'll see her soon.
jason976

Post by jason976 »

Any one know if Julee Cruise is confirmed on the cast list this season? Would love to see her as the final Roadhouse performance.