Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by Cappy »

I could barely make out the dialogue during the Gerstyn/Steven woods scene, but it did feel genuinely unsettling. I think the color choices aided the anxiety as well, their red clothes (and Gerstyn's hair) clashing painfully with the green behind them.

I'm not super invested in either character, but as a snapshot of hopelessness and despair, this scene was effective in conveying it's intended mood.

And who knows, maybe Gerstyn will get thrown into the jail cell next to James, where they can catch up about Donna.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

ThumbsUp wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Sold. The Garland thing is way too intentional.
My only hangup about this theory is that the desk clerk at the hotel in TMP refers to Judy as "the young lady" to Jeffries. Maybe I'm being too literal, but confusing the good Major with a young lady doesn't seem likely!
Oh yeah, damn. Hm. But would that mean that Coop could have met a woman who's been to Buenos Aires?
Josie is the most obvious candadate for a woman he met.
Last edited by Manwith on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

N. Needleman wrote:Is anyone still trying to parse the specifics of the Jeffries scene?

Is it me, or did this Jeffries seem unaware of which Cooper he was talking to? Or was he toying with him? It's clear this is not the person he spoke to in Part 2. Possibly also not the Jeffries who put out a hit.
I definitely got the impression that Jeffries' teapot spirit was bamboozled into thinking EvilCoop was RealCoop. Was Jeffries giving him a phone number to reach Judy? What were the numbers?

But then the phone in the room rang and EvilCoop left. It makes sense that phones are a portal to enter and leave the other realm (with all the attention to phone lines and all).
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Cappy wrote:I could barely make out the dialogue during the Gerstyn/Steven woods scene, but it did feel genuinely unsettling. I think the color choices aided the anxiety as well, their red clothes (and Gerstyn's hair) clashing painfully with the green behind them.

I'm not super invested in either character, but as a snapshot of hopelessness and despair, this scene was effective in conveying it's intended mood.

And who knows, maybe Gerstyn will get thrown into the jail cell next to James, where they can catch up about Donna.
When Steven mentioned something about
Spoiler:
turquoise
, did anyone else think of the formica table/ring?

And how Steven kept rubbing his leg, as if it were numb, like Jerry Horne's foot in the woods?

I think Jerry, Steven, Gersten and whoever else gets high and lost in the woods has some brush with the Lodges.

And when Steven mentions something about going up, it reminded me of Bill Hastings talking about how Major Briggs floated upwards or some such.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

N. Needleman wrote:Is anyone still trying to parse the specifics of the Jeffries scene?

Is it me, or did this Jeffries seem unaware of which Cooper he was talking to? Or was he toying with him? It's clear this is not the person he spoke to in Part 2. Possibly also not the Jeffries who put out a hit.
I don't really understand the Jeffries stuff either -- but considering how confused he was the first time we met him in FWWM, it's possible that his character is just so out of sync with the world around him that it's impossible to pin down his motivations. I think if Jeffries is now existing as some sort of spirit matter or electrical current, it might have dissolved his sense of self to a degree, or had the effect of causing him to have memory loss. It just seems that if Jeffries is traveling around as electrical current, that parts of him get lost when power lines go down. Okay maybe that's not specifically what happens, but I imagine in his current state Jeffries doesn't have a solid sense of self, at least not in the same way that most corporeal people have.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Spoiler:
turquoise

And how Steven kept rubbing his leg, as if it were numb, like Jerry Horne's foot in the woods?

I think Jerry, Steven, Gersten and whoever else gets high and lost in the woods has some brush with the Lodges.

And when Steven mentions something about going up, it reminded me of Bill Hastings talking about how Major Briggs floated upwards or some such.
During my re-watch Im definitely going to have captions on, specifically for this one scene. I could barely hear what they were saying, so I have no clue what it all means... but generally I do suspect that what's happening to them is similar to Jerry's predicament.
Last edited by Cappy on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It would have been cool if DoppelCoop had taken out his old microcassette recorder and just dictated the numbers from Jeffries.

The roadhouse floor crawling girl is named Ruby. It sounds like a name we've heard before but we've heard so many random names I could be wrong. Ruby slippers?
Jadegive2rides

Post by Jadegive2rides »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Cappy wrote:
Spoiler:
turquoise

:idea: Now this is something I can subscribe to!!! :idea:
Call for help
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Manwith wrote: Josie is the most obvious candadate for a woman he met.
Especially if Josie is part of the wood in the Great Northern Hotel now... a lot of viewers think that she is the source of the strange noises that Ben, Beverly and James are hearing.

Plus wasn't Judy going to be Josie's sister (or something) in an initial draft of FWWM? I could've sworn I read something about that in some Robert Engels interview.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

The Ed/Norma scene nearly had me in tears. Beautiful.

So... did Steven murder Becky???
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Cappy wrote:

I don't really understand the Jeffries stuff either -- but considering how confused he was the first time we met him in FWWM, it's possible that his character is just so out of sync with the world around him that it's impossible to pin down his motivations. I think if Jeffries is now existing as some sort of spirit matter or electrical current, it might have dissolved his sense of self to a degree, or had the effect of causing him to have memory loss. It just seems that if Jeffries is traveling around as electrical current, that parts of him get lost when power lines go down. Okay maybe that's not specifically what happens, but I imagine in his current state Jeffries doesn't have a solid sense of self, at least not in the same way that most corporeal people have.
I agree with all this. What I find curious is that the Bad Dale/Dopplecoop has regularly referenced Jeffries. He told Cole he was working with him. Albert said he was contacted by Jeffries on "Cooper's" behalf. The implication of all that and the convo in Part 2 was, Jeffries and the Bad Dale have been working together off and on for a long time. The Bad Dale addresses who he thinks is Jeffries as "Phillip" in Part 2. So what's really going on? Has he only thought he's been working with Jeffries? And what about that widget in Buenos Aires?

I know we may never make sense of this, but I'm still trying to follow it. And what about Chet and Emerald?!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Cappy wrote:- I'm going to have nightmares about that figure standing in the garage (or carport?) at the end of the credits. Is this Judy, or some whacked out doppelganger of Laura?
It was the woman who unlocked the door for Doppelcooper
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Cappy wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Spoiler:
turquoise

During my re-watch Im definitely going to have captions on, specifically for this one scene. I could barely hear what they were saying, so I have no clue what it all means... but generally I do suspect that what's happening to them is similar to Jerry's predicament.
Yeah, my friends and I did that right away. It was clear Lynch wanted us to not totally hear or understand what was being said. I can't make heads or tales of the
Spoiler:
rhino
but the
Spoiler:
lightning in a bottle
reminded me of Andy and his Fireman run-in, where it looked like he was letting a genie out of a bottle.
Jadegive2rides wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Cappy wrote:
Spoiler:
turquoise

:idea: Now this is something I can subscribe to!!! :idea:
The shot from Gersten's POV looking up echoed way too much back to the vortex from the last episode.

Also, the Steven/Gersten scene, of being high in the woods with a gun, echoes back to Bobby/Laura in FWWM. Shrug.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Cappy wrote:- I'm going to have nightmares about that figure standing in the garage (or carport?) at the end of the credits. Is this Judy, or some whacked out doppelganger of Laura?
It was the woman who unlocked the door for Doppelcooper
Another thing for me to look for on the re-watch. :D