Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by kornishpyxee »

So Jeffries has evolved into the smoke monster from LOST?

Bummed the Audrey is Richard's mom--was so not hoping for that.

I missed the jumping man--where was he?

"Goodnight Margaret...Goodbye Margaret". :(

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

firefly2193 wrote:A brilliant episode, my favourite aside from Part 8 so far. The Jumping Man was the stand out imagery for me - terrifying.

Death permeated this episode - not only the death of the Log Lady but the thought of her filming those scenes with such ill health herself. And the realisation that Bowie was clearly such a big part of the story and meant to triumphantly return in this part but death took him too soon.

It's insane that we have 3 parts to give conclusions to so much. I honestly have no idea how they're going to do it.

I find it strange that, given Lynch recently described season 2 (likely meaning post ep14 season 2) as 'stupid', he would write a storyline as dumb and awful (so far) as a man with a super strength green glove. Nadine's superpower looks positively subtle and organic film making by comparison. I wonder if it's a comment on that story line somehow? But it really doesn't seem to. Only thing I've really disliked about the last two parts.

We only have two more weeks of Twin Peaks. That is heart breaking. Please let it end wonderfully.
Has it been confirmed that Part 17 and Part 18 will air together as a two hour finale?
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

They will air as separate episodes but on the same night.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Liked this one a lot but definitely didn't have the same sense of momentum as 14.

I was actually disappointed that Jeffries wasn't a monkey.

I love the possibility that Sarah Palmer is inhabited by the Jumping Man. I find that to be a much more interesting premise than her being inhabited by the Mother.

Hoping for a lot of Sarah Palmer in the last 3 !! Her scenes have been the highlights of the series for me so far.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

I don't think the Missing Pieces scene invalidates the theory that Judy is Briggs. If he is using the name Judy as a code, he could be using women as couriers.

I think the "Jeffries" phone call will turn out to be Philip Gerard/MIKE.

I wonder if sticking the fork in the socket will kill Dougie-Coop. Maybe that's how he ends up with the Giant in the first scene. Philip Gerard did say "one of you must die."

I look forward to more Jumping Man.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

So i take it when Philip Jeffries returnd to the FBI office in Fire Walk with Me to tell Gordon about where & what he seen at & above the convenient store.

Then the Lodge// convenient store pulled him back to hotel he was staying at when he appeared there then i guess sometime after he got stuck there permanently in the convenient store which im thinking also he lost the use of hes own body or the lodge dimension took it from him so hes stuck forever there.

Also Jeffries did not try to kill doppelCopper it seems just someone acting as him..the real Jeffries didn't know what bad Cooper was talking about.

This big one i think no has said yet doppelCooper said the wrong year when he said when philip was last in the FBI office in 1989 but isn't it meant be 1988 one year before the Laura Palmer murder..
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Shloogorgh wrote:I think the "Jeffries" phone call will turn out to be Philip Gerard/MIKE.
Holy shit.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

What a lovely scene with Ed and Norma. I so often brace myself for the worst on this show! First when I saw Nadine purposefully striding toward the gas station, shovel in hand, I thought oh crap, she's about to kill Ed! Does she still have super-strength? Then when Norma seemingly brushed off Ed to talk to Walter, I was also bracing myself for the worst: maybe Walter was going to propose and Norma was going to accept, or maybe just as Norma was about to tell Walter off, Ed was gonna sock him and Norma would recoil from Ed. It was extremely cathartic for me when none of that happened, and instead we saw Norma's hands reaching into the frame for Ed, eyes closed, and he begins to smile.

(Also, I hope this ends speculation that Ed is possessed because his reflection moved by itself for a fraction of a second)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Beautiful, beautiful sendoff for Margaret. My girlfriend -- who first saw (and loved) the original series this year as part of our buildup to TP:TR -- has been ambivalent about this season, but we were both in tears at the sendoff to the Log Lady. INCREDIBLY brave work by Ms. Coulson. Bravo.

We also both cried at the Ed/Norma scene. Look........I'm a DKL fan first, TP fan second; I entered this season with zero expectations, I just wanted Lynch to do his thing. But, if there was any single fan-service hope that I had, I wanted Ed and Norma to FINALLY get together, fifty fucking years after they first hooked up in high school. I love these two together, and that glorious "Smash-Up" scene from TMP cemented it for me. The scene in this Part was absolute perfection. I'm grinning just thinking about it.

It's heartbreaking to me that DKL didn't manage to capture some soundbites of Bowie-as-Jeffries that he could use. It would have been so easy if they'd just touched base in the few months before Bowie passed. Frizzell was GREAT in Part 14 at precisely imitating Bowie's idiosyncratic line reading; however, he's much more uneven in Part 15 (even on the dubbed/imitated "Judy" line, he sounds pretty off). I love the "Evolution of the Arm," so I'm not opposed to unconventional recasts. Maybe it's just disappointment resulting from too much buildup, but I was hoping for a better payoff to Jeffries.

Given TP:TR's tendency to overexplain pre-existing mysteries, I'm sort of dreading the payoff to "Judy." Part of me wishes they'd just let it be a weird non sequitir. But I'm cautiously optimistic that this will all play out in a satisfying manner.

Who did Margaret warn Hawk about on Blue Pine Mountain?! Jacoby is on White Tail Mtn., correct? Blue Pine is where Catherine and the Mill were. Hmmm.

The spoiler thread contributors indicated the the Mount Si Hotel shoot was cut short because the crew got there super late, due to rain and a woods scene involving Hawk and Andy (with ample improvisation) eating into the shooting schedule. Apparently, DKL got the "important" stuff, but not necessarily everything he intended to shoot. Wonder what else might have been in the script? Also, WTF is with the credit "Bosomy Woman?" That's not how I would instinctively describe that character. (Noteworthy that the role is apparently played by a male......curiouser and curiouser.)

Not loving Freddie Sykes. Other than the Andy/Lucy/Wally comedy, this is the only element of the show that's giving me serious pause. It feels pretty tacked-on to the main mythology, unless it pays off in a really satisfying way thematically.

Not saying I want this to be the case......but it would be an appropriate moment of Lynchian black comedy if the "real" Dale Cooper accidentally killed himself with the fork in the socket after hearing Cole's name, leading to DoppelCoop being the only version of Cooper left in existence for the rest of the series. :lol:
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Now Big Ed & Norma can run their drug empire as married couple!

Why was James arrested? He never hit anyone. Only Freddie punched those two guys. They would be in jail too if they weren't in the ICU. Surprised James didn't need to go to the hospital.

What if James did find someone/something in the boiler room. There he was told that he and Freddie needed to be in the local jail...maybe so they could protect Naido. So maybe James was looking to intentionally start a fight that would get him thrown in jail.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I thought Margaret was referencing Laura when she said "that one" and mentioned Blue Pine. But I have no idea.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I hope maybe after Audrey wakes up or at the very least has a scene outside of this loop we get a Pete Martell mention. Lynch has honored pretty much every other actor that was one of his favorites that died so far besides Jack with Pete. Would be a nice touch.
I think you very well may get your wish.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

It's going to be an uneasy week for me, wondering if just MAYBE Cooper killed himself? About 99 per cent sure Lynch and Frost wouldn't do this to fans, and as someone on here said, it would certainly lend credence to the "Lynch is trolling the fans" theory if this is how he chose to bring an end to the character. Up to now, Mike/Gerard/The One-Armed Man has been there to help prevent DougieCoop from dying. He would really be shirking his duties to allow him to die under such stupid circumstances. But I need to see Cooper alive, even if he's STILL stuck in Dougie mode, before I'm completely at ease. Of course, even if he is alive, presumably he's the second target Chantal and Hutch are getting ready to go after ...
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I had been hoping for a Bobby/James scene together all season, these two once-mortal enemies, bound in a way for life by their intense connections to Laura, I thought might now be friends, both in the Bookhouse Boys, perhaps. I was sad their shared screen time was so inconsequential. They didn't speak to each other, didn't even acknowledge each other. I was waiting for one of them to say to the other, "Well, you and I have been here before." But no.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i'm going to read the thread later, got to head off for work but need to get my initial reactions of my chest quickly.

GODDAMN this was a FANTASTIC episode in every sense of the word.. i was very dissapointed in episodes 14 and somewhat with 13 too and as i said in another post imo the stretch of episodes since the mindblowing part 8 has felt a lot more padded out than the first half of the series. this episode just kept on giving and giving, i had my mouth open in amazement several times, almost forgetting to breath, laughing out loud several times, throwing my thumbs up to the screen, feeling heartbroken at the end and had my head nodding to the music at the end. this is up there with Part 8 as one of the finest episodes of Twin Peaks ever imo. even the Green Glove guy brought it this time (a character i absolutely despised last week)!

this felt very much in line with Fire Walk With Me in my opinion, and that is still my all time favorite part of the TP saga. Mister C at the fucking Convenience Store, the return of the Jumping Man, mentions of Judy, all that electricity :D :D and the Cooper scene where he stuck the fork in the electrical socket, followed by the whole place lighting up and Janey-E screaming. BRILLIANT!!!

right from the start I was just grinning at Nadine's power walkabout with her shit digging shovel over her shoulder, and from there it just kept on going and going.. the Margaret Lanterman scene was very, very heartfelt. May Catherine Coulson rest in peace - and THANK YOU for giving your all to the world of Twin Peaks one last time... what an incredible scene that was with Hawk stepping out of the pitch black shadows (a classic Lynch shot)

who would have thought that Philip Jeffries would be played by a giant tea kettle though? hahaha :D
and Cyril Pons walking his dog in the woods.. what the hell was up with Steven and Gretchen though? i need to rewatch that with subtitles bc i didn't understand much of what he said there.

all in all - 5/5.. i can't begin to understand fans of Fire Walk With Me and the classic Lynch who wouldn't appreciate this film but we are all different