Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

future's past

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by future's past »

Esselgee wrote:I just knew when that scene started that Audrey was not gonna get out the door.

So what "family" was Norma talking about? I thought for a second she was going to mention having a sister. Did she just mean the "family" of her diner employees and customers?
She meant Ed you big lug!
SamGGD

Post by SamGGD »

Jasper wrote:
BMS242 wrote:Charlie's use of the word threshold for the door stuck out to me.
Yup, same here.
JohnPalSki wrote:Did anyone else get the feeling that the Cooper in the scene from FWWM with Jeffries, Cole, and Albert.... that that may have been the Bad Coop??...
Anything is possible, but I've always taken Jeffries' reaction to Cooper in FWWM as relating to the screwy time within the lodges, and I'm still feeling that way.
Deep Thought wrote:
frompureair wrote:That line from Jeffries has got me nervous..."you ARE Cooper" :? Also remember the Jeffries who called him said he wanted to be with Bob again!
He is Cooper, no doubt.
He's a real part of Cooper, and always has been. It's just that this part of Cooper isn't supposed to be out and in control (there is only supposed to be one physical Cooper body at a time). Mr. C is supposed to be deep in Cooper's unconscious, AKA the lodge (or red room or whatever we're going to end up calling the place of red curtains and chevron floor).
Explained beautifully. I feel relief now. I thought Lynch had hit us with a massive dark twist.

Regardless... I'm glad now he didn't just go the nostalgia route with TR, he's been an ambitious psychopath and it's fantastic.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Troubbble wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:I am still trying to figure out how Booper sent the "Las Vegas" message now, when we have seen Diane receiving it 2 episodes ago... or was it texted to Hutch and Chantal?
MANY of the scenes we've seen so far have been out of order, as we've repeatedly noticed already. This moment from last night is an indicator to clue us in on the chronology.

Cooper went "above the convenience store," met with Jeffries, and then encountered Richard...all before the scene in which we saw Diane get his text. Meaning much of what we've been seeing in recent parts takes place after those events.

Knowing this, you can extrapolate further and conclude that the *truck* which ran a Twin Peaks resident off the road (as recounted in the "Roadhouse scene" from a couple of weeks ago) was driven by the Doppelganger, with Richard in tow. They're in Twin Peaks already...
Doppelcoop's timeline might just be dragging a bit. It wouldn't have taken two whole days to get from S Dakota to Montana the way he drives and he left the morning after the prison break. That was before Cole and Co went to Buckhorn. It coincides with the call giving Todd 2 more days, which was on the day he found out abt Ike and set the Mitchems on Dougie. Wednesday. Doppelcoop's not reached Saturday yet, while it looks like Vegas is on Saturday night and we last saw Cole and Co on Saturday morning.

I do know why he sent the text though, since the idea he WANTS them in Vegas makes no sense. Its to see if the hit on Dougiecoop was successful. Because finding Dale Cooper's body would set off the same alerts that arresting Doppelcoop did, and Diane would certainly say "they found a body there with your prints."

I think Diane was in the dark abt Janey-E's involvement (b/c it is gonna be SOOO awkward to explain her brother-in-law and so incriminating she wouldn't just lead them there) but was told to expect a development in Vegas.

The Las Vegas text marks the end of the two days he gave Todd. The next text he sent would've been details to Hutch and Chantel.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

MoondogJR wrote:I wonder what happened to Steve. What is he saying about meeting a rhino and go into turquoise??? How's Becky? If it appears she is dead as well I'll be super pissed.
Steven appears to have shot himself in the head, and there seemed to be some sort of suggestion that he might have killed Becky after she gave him some sort of bad drugs, perhaps on purpose. We'll have to wait and see on some of this, but it seems like Steven and Becky were both pretty horrible people. After Becky almost killed her mother (and well may have from her POV, but didn't even stop to check) I started to have a pretty unfavorable opinion about her. There's also that hanging mystery about Steven yelling at Becky in the trailer "I know what you did!" So, what did she do that time, switch his sparkle with Drano? I'm very curious about what the hell was going on with Becky that we didn't see.

I know people wanted to get back to bigger parts of the story, and I understand that, because I felt some of it myself, but this scene was very beautifully shot. Also, I didn't realize it was Mark Frost walking the dog until he got all the way to Fat Trout and there was a closeup.
MoondogJR wrote:I think the thought Twin Peaks: The Return could have featured David Bowie (and Michael J. Anderson) is very very sad.
I love The Return, but the absence of Bowie and MJA are always going to be sore points. It's very bittersweet, especially as it combines with the general sadness about the death of Bowie. On the other hand, we had what turned out to be miraculous appearances by Catherine Coulson, Warren Frost, and Miguel Ferrer. We were very, very lucky.
MoondogJR wrote:TLMFAP's evolution in a tree, was ok for me. But am I the only one that is having some problems, although visually stunningly excecuted, by Bowie being replaced by a talking teapot??
I love the tree, but I don't love it so much as a replacement for MJA. I would have loved the tree more as an additional character. I would have truly enjoyed seeing MJA interact with that tree.

The Jeffries teapot is absolutely beautiful, and it reminded me of the movie "Arrival". As a replacement for Bowie? I need to think about it more to see if I discover anything meaningful about why it's a percolator or whatever it is. It may just be an artistic whim, but there may be some kind of metaphysical symbolism to it. It will be interesting to think about, but I cannot shake the feeling that I'm supposed to be looking at David Bowie in that room. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts and there was probably nothing that could make it not hurt. Despite this, the entire sequence was incredible.
Last edited by Jasper on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

hopesfall wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
the whole Diane thing is the most perplexing of the series for me..
Well, maybe he just sent it again as a reminder to Diane.
Maybe she's back at the bar, and it's the same as the texts from my wife when i'm at the pub.

"You on the way home yet?"
"You on the way home yet?"

She'll probably get one in Episode 16 saying "LAS FUCKING VEGAS?????" :lol:

That is easier than you think. If you remember Mr C missed almost 3 episodes in a row, between 11 and 13 ( or 10 to 12, don't remember). His plot did not progress, Diane and Cole story did.

Showing Mr C sending the "Las Vegas" text was meant to serve a chronological purpose, showing us that the timelines are catching up between mr C and Diane.
It's not time travel or stuff it is simply a narrative escamotage.

So the scene in the Convenience store and Diane being in a bar are placed in the same time, that's why Mr C did not received the Coordinates(plus 2) by Diane yet.
Hope to have been clear :)
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Ragnell wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:I am still trying to figure out how Booper sent the "Las Vegas" message now, when we have seen Diane receiving it 2 episodes ago... or was it texted to Hutch and Chantal?
MANY of the scenes we've seen so far have been out of order, as we've repeatedly noticed already. This moment from last night is an indicator to clue us in on the chronology.

Cooper went "above the convenience store," met with Jeffries, and then encountered Richard...all before the scene in which we saw Diane get his text. Meaning much of what we've been seeing in recent parts takes place after those events.

Knowing this, you can extrapolate further and conclude that the *truck* which ran a Twin Peaks resident off the road (as recounted in the "Roadhouse scene" from a couple of weeks ago) was driven by the Doppelganger, with Richard in tow. They're in Twin Peaks already...

I do know why he sent the text though, since the idea he WANTS them in Vegas makes no sense. Its to see if the hit on Dougiecoop was successful. Because finding Dale Cooper's body would set off the same alerts that arresting Doppelcoop did, and Diane would certainly say "they found a body there with your prints."

In my opinion if one of the two coopers dies the one who dies will vanish.

I don't think Mr C wants them in Vegas, i think it was just asking if they where close to understand the Vegas situation, just to have a hint of the general situation regarding his plan and the plan to murder good cooper
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Wanted to post the lyrics to the closing song, "Axolotl" by The Veils.

To me, this is an incredible selection, with clear connections to the scene with Steven and the ongoing "sparkle" intrigue:
I'm glowing bright, obsidian
Axolotl, amphibian
Un-elemental chemicals
Got me growing six black tentacles

A little nightmarish, a little maudlin
Good golly go get the kid some laudanum!
Salvation's more than I can afford
Who needs The Devil when you've got The Lord?

Oh my soul
Losing control
Who built this heart?
Oh my God.

Now Sister Maggie's coming in fleet-foot
Baby's got a belly full of black soot
I've got the feeling I'd better just stay put
Ah she'll love you better than any real man could

An accidental amphibian
I'm growing giddy as a Gideon
Another head for the chopping board
Who needs The Devil when you've got The Lord?

Oh my soul
Who's in control
Who built this heart?
Oh my God.
Oh, and in case you didn't know what an axolotl was...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I'm still holding out hope for at the very LEAST one surprise return. Have it be Harry or Josie, Annie, Windom Earle or Desmond in the red room in the last episode. I need at least one big unannounced cameo. Hopefully we get it!
Weren't we promised SEVERAL surprise cameo's (actors that were not on the casting list) by insiders?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

bastia wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
Troubbble wrote:

In my opinion if one of the two coopers dies the one who dies will vanish.

I don't think Mr C wants them in Vegas, i think it was just asking if they where close to understand the Vegas situation, just to have a hint of the general situation regarding his plan and the plan to murder good cooper
The Doppelganger wants to ensure Cooper is eliminated before the FBI can connect the dots between Buckhorn and Vegas. He just wanted to know if they were onto anything suspicious in Vegas yet, which would jeopardize that critical part of his plan. Diane let him know that they weren't...yet.
Last edited by Troubbble on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rhodes wrote:I am always a bit surprised that The Log Lady seems to be the most popular character of Twin Peaks.

There is absolutely NO-ONE that ever says anything besides her scenes being epic/heartbreaking/etc. I get that she is a typical Twin Peaks character, but actually I've always found her material not particularly interesting.
This is probably one for the "TP Sins" thread. :wink:
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

I really hated the green glove scene.

The rest of it was outstanding.
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

Rhodes wrote:I really hated the green glove scene.

The rest of it was outstanding.

I can't for the life of me figure out if Lynch/Frost deliberately portray him as an idiot for comedic effect, or he just comes across that way naturally. I mean who the hell tells a woman's husband "I... I just like her!!" Massive Facepalm.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Thanks for the feedback, Jasper!
Jasper wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:I wonder what happened to Steve. What is he saying about meeting a rhino and go into turquoise??? How's Becky? If it appears she is dead as well I'll be super pissed.
Steven appears to have shot himself in the head, and there seemed to be some sort of suggestion that he might have killed Becky after she gave him some sort of bad drugs, perhaps on purpose. We'll have to wait and see on some of this, but it seems like Steven and Becky were both pretty horrible people. After Becky almost killed her mother (and well may have from her POV, but didn't even stop to check) I started to have a pretty unfavorable opinion about her. There's also that hanging mystery about Steven yelling at Becky in the trailer "I know what you did!" So, what did she do that time, switch his sparkle with Drano? I'm very curious about what the hell was going on with Becky that we didn't see.

I know people wanted to get back to bigger parts of the story, and I understand that, because I felt some of it myself, but this scene was very beautifully shot. Also, I didn't realize it was Mark Frost walking the dog until he got all the way to Fat Trout and there was a closeup.
Don't get me wrong. I think the scene was also beautifully done, both by Lynch and the actors! The Mark Frost cameo was indeed amazing and I also didn't realize it was him up until he was talking to Carl.
I also agree that Becky is a self-involved b*tch. But I really like Amanda Seyfried's acting and the storyline. I would be pissed because it would be wrapped up without seeing her again.
Jasper wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:I think the thought Twin Peaks: The Return could have featured David Bowie (and Michael J. Anderson) is very very sad.
I love The Return, but the absence of Bowie and MJA are always going to be sore points. It's very bittersweet, especially as it combines with the general sadness about the death of Bowie. On the other hand, we had what turned out to be miraculous appearances by Catherine Coulson, Warren Frost, and Miguel Ferrer. We were very, very lucky.
If you put it that way, off course I agree. Sometimes it's hard not to get greedy :?
Jasper wrote:
MoondogJR wrote:TLMFAP's evolution in a tree, was ok for me. But am I the only one that is having some problems, although visually stunningly excecuted, by Bowie being replaced by a talking teapot??
I love the tree, but I don't love it so much as a replacement for MJA. I would have loved the tree more as an additional character. I would have truly enjoyed seeing MJA interact with that tree.

The Jeffries teapot is absolutely beautiful, and it reminded me of the movie "Arrival". As a replacement for Bowie? I need to think about it more to see if I discover anything meaningful about why it's a percolator or whatever it is. It may just be an artistic whim, but there may be some kind of metaphysical symbolism to it. It will be interesting to think about, but I cannot shake the feeling that I'm supposed to be looking at David Bowie in that room. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts and there was probably nothing that could make it not hurt. Despite this, the entire sequence was incredible.
We're on the same page on this one!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

Mixed emotions with this episode.

Literally in the case of the scenes featuring Big Ed/Norma and Margaret. Wasn't expecting to be so touched by Big Ed and Norma finally getting it on, but the room definitely got a bit dusty got a few seconds. By her family I took her to mean Shelley, Heidi, Ed & all of the customers at the RR, but it's interesting to consider whether we'll ever get another reference to Annie.

Margaret's scene was incredible, gut wrenching to hear her say 'I'm dying'. That scene and the one that followed in the Sheriff's Dept were so moving, my biggest gripe with this week's episode is that I felt that should've been the final scene and the Audrey/Roadhouse scenes should've been moved to before it.

Can't believe there are TP fans here that weren't blown away by either of those scenes.

Other than that, loved the Convenience Store stuff, despite the 'evolution' of Jefferies, and was wholly indifferent about everything involving Gersten & Steven and James & The Mockney Glove Warrior.

Audrey's scene was ok, the talk of being on the threshold could still allude to any of the theories about her, and Hutch and Chantal are quite entertaining. I suspect if we don't get Special Agent Dale Cooper next week after the fork in the socket, there'll be a lot of angry people on this forum.
kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Post by kornishpyxee »

N. Needleman wrote:I thought Margaret was referencing Laura when she said "that one" and mentioned Blue Pine. But I have no idea.
I think on Hawk's map the symbol on BadCoop's playing card is above blue pine mountain, under the moon.
The next time you see me it won't be me.