Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

psyifinotic wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:
I've been accused of being a glory hog around here, but I did propose this theory. It's several pages back on this thread.
"No one" was hyperbole... Guess what I meant was that I expected MORE to be speculating about this.

Lynch put strong emphasis on that woman for a reason. (And yes, in the world of the show, it's a woman. Don't care that the actor is male.)
i love how open minded 99% of twin peaks fans are. gotta love it!
Detecting some sarcasm, but not sure why. I was directly responding to someone who implied this woman couldn't be Judy because the actor was a man...
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Post by psyifinotic »

Troubbble wrote:
psyifinotic wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
"No one" was hyperbole... Guess what I meant was that I expected MORE to be speculating about this.

Lynch put strong emphasis on that woman for a reason. (And yes, in the world of the show, it's a woman. Don't care that the actor is male.)
i love how open minded 99% of twin peaks fans are. gotta love it!
Detecting some sarcasm, but not sure why. I was directly responding to someone who implied this woman couldn't be Judy because the actor was a man...
im sorry, maybe a little too stoned rn, but i was totally serious. twin peaks fans are really just the nicest people and i was really happy all the fans didn't care at all that a woman was played by a man. not a lot of other fan bases are as open minded! its all love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
wxray wrote:DougieCoop will be OK. He inserted the fork in the large blade of the socket. N. American code dictates that this is the neutral, which is ultimately bounded to ground. The hot wire is the smaller blade.

... sorry ... Just a pet peeve of mine. You'd think one of the set electricians could have given a little guidance here. Maybe they did, and the set dresser didn't have a fork that fit right.
He came out of an outlet and swapped places with another person who got turned into a gold bead. I think whichever part of the outlet he stuck the fork into matters little when it comes to this story.
Oh yeah, I forgot! That's right, the N. American electrical code doesn't have a section for "personal teleportation over energized lines." This is why I'm not an artist, but it is also why I love art. Gotta think out of the box.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

ScarFace32 wrote:It's funny that probably the two most successful actors on the show (Tim Roth & Jennifer Jason Leigh) are the worst. I honestly hate both of them now.
You hate their acting? Or their characters?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

kornishpyxee wrote:I took the high school graduate comment literally, as in that was as far as Steven got in life, and maybe he lied to Gersten about either his age or level of education. When he applied to work at the car dealership Mike could tell he loaded his résumé.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
I took it differently, as if being a high school graduate is a big deal and a real accomplishment for Steven, like "I managed to graduate from high school now I've thrown everything in the trash", but perhaps your interpretation makes more sense.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

So here's a question: now that Jeffries has been sort of revealed, and his relationship with Mr C has been given a bit more light: what do we now make of Albert's confession back in Part 4 about Jeffries. Just looked back at that scene and it has Albert saying that Jeffries called Albert and that Albert authorized Jeffries to give info to Cooper. Albert did so presumably since, given Cooper's disappearance, he was in trouble.

So what do we now make of this? Was Albert actually talking to Jeffries? Or to the mystery imposter that Cooper talked to after killing Darya? If Jeffires DID call Albert -- which Jeffires? Actually Jeffries? Teapot Jeffries?

Another thing of interest: when Albert tells Gordon in that scene that Jeffires called him, Gordon's reply is "He did, did he?" -- which more than a tinge of sarcastic incredulousness. Perhaps Gordon knows more about Jeffries' fate than he's let on?

Or is all this way more flat and obvious -- ie, did DoppelCoop just impersonate Jeffries to call Albert and get that info?

The DoppelCoop-Jeffries relationship is still REALLY mysterious -- they seem to have not met since 1989, going by their exchange. Jeffries also says "thank god!" when Cooper enters the room. What's up with that?
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
kornishpyxee wrote:I took the high school graduate comment literally, as in that was as far as Steven got in life, and maybe he lied to Gersten about either his age or level of education. When he applied to work at the car dealership Mike could tell he loaded his résumé.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
I took it differently, as if being a high school graduate is a big deal and a real accomplishment for Steven, like "I managed to graduate from high school now I've thrown everything in the trash", but perhaps your interpretation makes more sense.
I think it must have been Steven lying to Gersten. Wouldn't Gersten be like 15 years older than him? Maybe she somehow didn't realize that.

Anyone think there's a chance Steven didn't kill himself? That he maybe shot, or shot at, someone/something else? Unlikely, but sort of possible. Otherwise, who knows where that storyline is headed -- unless he did kill Becky, and that leads Bobby, and the TP police onto the drug trade, which then leads then to Richard and perhaps to DoppelCoop (wasn't DoppelCoop himself was found with cocaine in his car after the crash in South Dakota?)
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

cgs027 wrote:Again, I don't want this to devolve into Sherilyn-bashing or reliving the pre-production/production drama around it, but I just can't help but feel like all of those real-life elements conspired in Audrey's story (or at least some of the dialogue she's been given). "
The "angry tweets" happened several months after filming had wrapped and rather on the eve of the launch of the marketing campaign. By all evidence, Sherilyn was targeting Showtime execs and the minimal role they had planned for her in marketing the show. That's why she was saying it was all about Kyle, Kyle, Kyle and only him was being respected.

Sherilyn has given interviews since about her work on set and about Mark and David. Nothing's apparently changed since the days in which she was the leading cheerleader mounting a "No Lynch, no Twin Peaks" campaign on social media. She is still calling David a genius, still saying during a conversation they had on set he opened the door to doing more if it was well received. She talked about having a terrific time on set, and about being quite delighted by what Mark and David wrote for Audrey's character. She even did a co-interview along Mark Frost. When rumors spread because she wasn't at the premiere, she quickly and a bit angrily posted that she was sick and that was the sole reason she couldn't be there. She's also spoken quite positively about episodes that she's watching every week.

It looks like a pure urban legend that she had a falling out with David or Mark or that she wasn't pleased with her role.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

wxray wrote:DougieCoop will be OK. He inserted the fork in the large blade of the socket. N. American code dictates that this is the neutral, which is ultimately bounded to ground. The hot wire is the smaller blade.

... sorry ... Just a pet peeve of mine. You'd think one of the set electricians could have given a little guidance here. Maybe they did, and the set dresser didn't have a fork that fit right.
I don't know what this says about me, but after viewing episode 15, I walked around my place with a fork in hand and just kind of looked at the very few unused electrical outlets I have. I decided while I could probably get the tines in there pretty easily, there's no way in hell the handle would ever fit. For DougieCoop, it was just the opposite. What kind of weirdly shaped fork was that?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

sewhite2000 wrote:What kind of weirdly shaped fork was that?
The kind that will fit, to make the story. :)

Good thing he isn't in France. Not much would fit in there.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dom834 wrote:It looks like a pure urban legend that she had a falling out with David or Mark or that she wasn't pleased with her role.
I could've sworn that she pulled some twitter shenanigans before signing on (I seem to remember a photo of her dyeing her hair blonde with some veiled/snarky comment?), but I can't remember. However, it was verified by posters in the know that she held off signing for several months into the shoot because she felt her scripted role was too small, and that she was meant to shoot in Washington in September but didn't (she finally shot her first scenes in March, I think).
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dom834 wrote:It looks like a pure urban legend that she had a falling out with David or Mark or that she wasn't pleased with her role.
I could've sworn that she pulled some twitter shenanigans before signing on (I seem to remember a photo of her dyeing her hair blonde with some veiled/snarky comment?), but I can't remember. However, it was verified by posters in the know that she held off signing for several months into the shoot because she felt her scripted role was too small, and that she was meant to shoot in Washington in September but didn't (she finally shot her first scenes in March, I think).
Yep. Not to devolve this thread into a tabloid, but Harry Goaz also tweeted something about her being selfish, during production. So, she was definitely causing issues PRIOR to filming wrapping up.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

opium wrote:Telling someone to trust "the masters" while essentially saying they just don't get it is far more condescending.
Yes, if someone were to say that it would be condescending. I never said anything like that though. I said I am keeping an open mind because I am giving DL/MF the benefit of the doubt. Not sure where you got the "just don't get it" part.
opium wrote:And the poor parts are pretentious, no doubt 'bout it. Watching a guy sweep for 10 mins to test "audience patience" is pretentious and a poor execution. There are many ways to create ideas and engage audience - or testing them, however you wanna phrase it - but sitting there watching Jacoby paint or a guy sweep is not good, and whatever meaning you derive from it doesn't account that it breaks up the pacing and flow of the episodes.

Pretension exists when something grand is executed poorly. And saying something is pretentious doesn't accuse anything of the audience, but only of the artist.
You're begging the question. See here, you are claiming your personal taste as the arbiter of good/poor execution. The viewers who approve of a "poor" scene are directly belittled for enjoying an "objectively" pretentious one, when in fact it is just a scene you don't like. That's fine. I think Hulk Hand is terrible, but I know some people love it. Do I need to know whether you like it or not before I can determine if it is pretentious? Btw, I love the floor sweeping, hate the shovel painting. Go figure.

It might have something to do with what we are used to. Compared to my usual preferred (often described as pretentious) books, music, and movies, TR is moving along very briskly indeed.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:It's funny that probably the two most successful actors on the show (Tim Roth & Jennifer Jason Leigh) are the worst. I honestly hate both of them now.
You hate their acting? Or their characters?
Both but especially their acting. The way Jennifer Jason Leigh killed them and then was on the phone like "fries and ketchup"..it was just so bad