Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
boske wrote:There is a more mundane explanation perhaps: at Dutchman's electronics may simply not work. That would explain why he used the landline to go back.
Also a fair point!
To me it always seemed that Mr. C and Jeffries were not in the same room, mostly because of different ceilings (the fact that the scene was shot piecewise also contributes to it, to be fair). The part of the room that Mr. C is in does seem to have some electricity, as there is a strobe light above him. That said, there was a rotary phone there too, just like Charlie's.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

boske wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
boske wrote:There is a more mundane explanation perhaps: at Dutchman's electronics may simply not work. That would explain why he used the landline to go back.
Also a fair point!
To me it always seemed that Mr. C and Jeffries were not in the same room, mostly because of different ceilings (the fact that the scene was shot piecewise also contributes to it, to be fair). The part of the room that Mr. C is in does seem to have some electricity, as there is a strobe light above him. That said, there was a rotary phone there too, just like Charlie's.
Yeah, I think shooting the two in different spaces intentionally adds to the strangeness of it all. Cooper is in the motel room he entered, looking into a completely different dimension on the other side of the room.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Although, having just seen part 17, we should contrast the Jeffries' scene there to the first one. In part 17, I think Lynch made it clear that they are in the same room, this time around as there is just that one ceiling across the room. And there is no strobe light above, and no window with the curtain behind Cooper and Gerard. Whatever that might mean.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

My rewatch of S3 is done, and there remains one last idea I could post before taking a break from the board. It is a final touch to the thesis posted in this thread that, in a symbolic way, Judy represents matter, and Mr. C's meeting with Judy stands for doppelgänger's possession of Cooper's body in Ep. 29, as a point of doppelgänger's descent into the material world.

Now, if that were a symbolic explanation, what could be a more literal one? Yes, Cooper had met Sarah long time ago, but I am just not convinced that Jeffries had that in mind. Who did Mr. C meet? Well, he met Buella, and it is the very first scene that we see him in. And it always puzzled me that we did not see more of that location, that it was all set for just that single scene. A set that has an uncanny resemblance to a lodge waiting room.

So what did Buella tell Mr. C? "It is a world of truck drivers." And much later on we have Sarah slaughtering a truck driver, when it was pointed out rather openly that Sarah seemed to had been possessed (by spirits), that there was a link between Sarah and the mother, which I also linked to matter and Judy. So in a literal sense Buella could be thought of as a manifestation of Judy on a certain plane, or in a literal way. And this may allow us to look back at that opening scene differently, and also perhaps wonder if that is what "at Judy's in Seattle" could have meant (FWWM script), and why Jeffries was somewhat sarcastic during that scene with Mr. C. Was Jeffries there too long time ago?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

boske wrote:My rewatch of S3 is done, and there remains one last idea I could post before taking a break from the board. It is a final touch to the thesis posted in this thread that, in a symbolic way, Judy represents matter, and Mr. C's meeting with Judy stands for doppelgänger's possession of Cooper's body in Ep. 29, as a point of doppelgänger's descent into the material world.

Now, if that were a symbolic explanation, what could be a more literal one? Yes, Cooper had met Sarah long time ago, but I am just not convinced that Jeffries had that in mind. Who did Mr. C meet? Well, he met Buella, and it is the very first scene that we see him in. And it always puzzled me that we did not see more of that location, that it was all set for just that single scene. A set that has an uncanny resemblance to a lodge waiting room.

So what did Buella tell Mr. C? "It is a world of truck drivers." And much later on we have Sarah slaughtering a truck driver, when it was pointed out rather openly that Sarah seemed to had been possessed (by spirits), that there was a link between Sarah and the mother, which I also linked to matter and Judy. So in a literal sense Buella could be thought of as a manifestation of Judy on a certain plane, or in a literal way. And this may allow us to look back at that opening scene differently, and also perhaps wonder if that is what "at Judy's in Seattle" could have meant (FWWM script), and why Jeffries was somewhat sarcastic during that scene with Mr. C. Was Jeffries there too long time ago?
That's a very interesting train of thought! I like that Buella reading. She may be dispatching agents, and while my first instinct was to say that Ray and Daria are mortals, perhaps they aren't since Ray ends up in the Red Room. Regardless, the tall and short dynamic that we've seen in the Lodge is on full display in that scene, and Ray and Daria pay them some undisclosed amount via envelopes on their way out. Of course if Buella is Judy, then Mr. C doesn't know that, since he seems to be looking for Judy. But it makes sense that Buella as Judy would be dispatching agents to thwart Mr. C's plans. Fun.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

LateReg wrote:
boske wrote:My rewatch of S3 is done, and there remains one last idea I could post before taking a break from the board. It is a final touch to the thesis posted in this thread that, in a symbolic way, Judy represents matter, and Mr. C's meeting with Judy stands for doppelgänger's possession of Cooper's body in Ep. 29, as a point of doppelgänger's descent into the material world.

That's a very interesting train of thought! I like that Buella reading. She may be dispatching agents, and while my first instinct was to say that Ray and Daria are mortals, perhaps they aren't since Ray ends up in the Red Room. Regardless, the tall and short dynamic that we've seen in the Lodge is on full display in that scene, and Ray and Daria pay them some undisclosed amount via envelopes on their way out. Of course if Buella is Judy, then Mr. C doesn't know that, since he seems to be looking for Judy. But it makes sense that Buella as Judy would be dispatching agents to thwart Mr. C's plans. Fun.
Yes, for me it somehow tied into that "You have already met Judy" line. The first time I saw that scene I was impressed by the casting, and there was something mildly grotesque about Ray and Darya, I had really hoped we'd see more of that location.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Just realized some potentially meaningful visual parallels in the Gersten & Stephen scene, which works especially well if you're a firm believer that it was originally scripted as Donna (as I stubbornly am).

It's a flipside version of Donna & James' iconic in-the-woods scene in the pilot. The confessional nature, the facial close-ups, the pleading nature of some of what's said. Instead of blooming innocence face to face with gentle lights turning them into splashes in the dark silence, the woods with Gersten & Stephen reads of wrong roads taken, exhaustion, end of the rope and burnout fading to black, drowned in all too observant daylight and, thanks mostly to the sound design, overwhelming scintilation. Unlike the former, where the two share an almost void-like privacy and are threatened only at the edges and at that unaware of it, the latter is intruded upon bluntly and it's a horrible intrusion that triggers the two to violently break. A beginning and an ending in the woods.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.