Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by Esselgee »

thedarktrees wrote:
Esselgee wrote:So how was Richard Horne able to find DoppelCoop just based on an old photo his mother had? This guy is good! He's making the FBI look bad. Gordon Cole really needs to hire him.
I think the idea is that he followed him after witnessing him kill Ray at the Farm.

BUT: I wonder if Richard was also able to see the convenience store? Or whether DoppelCoop just vanished in front of him and then reappeared. That's a bit less clear.
I was thinking that Richard had gone to the Farm with intention of finding Cooper. If that's not the case, then what led Richard to the Farm? He just wanted to join up with a gang of criminals? How did he find out about the Farm? From Red? It's an awfully big coincidence for him to be there when DoppelCoop just happens to show up if he didn't go there looking for Cooper.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Loved tonights episode.

Only complaint about the convenient store is they could have gotten a few familiar faces to be in there... I get that these woodsman are like the new lodge spirits but they could've recast Mrs. Tremond and her grandson I mean they recast him for the movie could've done it again and it would have made the scene come more full circle.
Although, technically, they predate the FWWM Black Lodge.

I wonder if whatever has happened to the town of Twin Peaks is a result of the spirits having somehow escaped the Black Lodge, that there are only a few spirits remaining 'in residence' - maybe people such as Red, and the puking girl, are actually people who've been inhabited by the spirits from the Black Lodge.

I'm intrigued to learn why Jeffries has, for some reason, gone to inhabit the Black Lodge himself, and to what end he would have ended up working with Mr C. From their interaction in this part it seems like they've never met each other since the FWWM flashback.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:People still seem to be anticipating that this "Sparkle" drug is going to be some huge plot point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was mentioned once back in Part 4, correct? Yes, there's definitely a general theme of kids in the town of TP being on drugs (as there was in the original as well), but I think that specific dialogue was just to set up the "dirty Chad" subplot. I really don't think there's going to be some big reveal of a specific laced drug underlying all the darkness/weird behavior....we're just seeing Trainspotting by way of David Lynch.

The "teapot" doesn't bother me, although I like it less than the "Evolution of the Arm." It's a Lynchian solution to that dreaded notion of recasting. However, I wish he hadn't decided to hire an impersonator to imitate Bowie's Southern affect. Why not just have a distorted and uncredited voice a la the EotA? Frizzell was a great mimic in his one copycat line reading in Part 14, but it fell apart in this one. The impersonation of Bowie's (charmingly) awful dialect work was kinda embarrassing.
Rhodes wrote:
Weren't we promised SEVERAL surprise cameo's (actors that were not on the casting list) by insiders?
We were. And it's seeming pretty unlikely IMO, since 15 hours in, the "217" cast list has more or less been a bible for the show's credits. As I've said before, the only people it would make any sense to withhold are Bowie and Ontkean. Now that Bowie is off the table, I have my fingers crossed for the Harry Skype call that I've been predicting since before we saw Frank's elaborate computer setup.
I think seeing Windom or Chet Desmond in the red room in the last episode could be possible too all though unlikely. It would make sense to not reveal them as we know they'd be appearing in the red room and weren't mainstays in the original cast.
I think Desmond is the most likely. He's been named but there's no clues about his fate. He is a reasonable suspect for the Third Man (being the third missing agent) though not as compelling a choice as MIKE.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Why didn't Mr. C. speak backwards when he was in the lodge? Is he now so accustomed to our world that he prefers or is better at speaking normal? Jeffries didn't speak backwards, either.
I don't think Mr.C was in the Black Lodge. He wanted to avoid being pulled back in so why would he go there willingly? I think the Convenience Store and the Motel are located outside of the Black Lodge.
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

Just rewatched the opening scene, and there is so much about it I love. I think it is fabulous to show a woman over 60 who can still come to an enlightening experience and change her life, and enrich those of others. I have a background in psychology, and was taught that once a person hits 50 there is a minuscule chance for any real personal change. So Nadine’s ah-ha! moment is beautiful. Everett McGill’s acting is so nuanced throughout—a joy to watch. Norma’s decision to let go of all the franchises and focus on her community and the original diner is another breath of fresh air in our more more more culture. And I don’t think it is just a soap opera moment when the camera pans up into the blue sky while Otis sings “I love you, I love you baby, good God Almighty, I love you, I love you…” I see this as a reminder that Love opens the portal to the White Lodge—Ed and Nadine are sending waves of Love into the heavens. They are helping tip the balance in the storm that’s coming.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

Bookworm wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:Why didn't Mr. C. speak backwards when he was in the lodge? Is he now so accustomed to our world that he prefers or is better at speaking normal? Jeffries didn't speak backwards, either.
I don't think Mr.C was in the Black Lodge. He wanted to avoid being pulled back in so why would he go there willingly? I think the Convenience Store and the Motel are located outside of the Black Lodge.
That makes perfect sense. That kind of seals that the red room is the black lodge at this point. I'm wondering if the room with the couch and chair is just a room in the black lodge that they call the waiting room.
I'm back in style!
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I think the next time we see Dougie/Cooper, he'll be tied up like Johnny Horne so that he doesn't hurt himself again. Janey-E will have to feed him his chocolate cake.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Since I was on vacation last week, I just watched Part 14 & 15 back to back. And whereas watching Part 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 was an incredible experience, here I felt pretty exhausted. Maybe it was just too much to absorb in one time ?
I really liked Part 14 though, and the less successful Part 15 remained fascinating... But honestly, I think I lost touch with the show since Part 9. My expectations after watching Part 1-8 were so high, it was such a dream-like experience, that I can't help myself being a bit disappointed by the second half of the season.

It's like a lot of the storylines from Parts 1-8 are stuck in time. As if Lynch already used 75 % of the original material (written with Frost for the original 9 episodes structure) in the 8 first parts -- and to keep going the story, he adds some new stuffs who are not bad per se (sometimes they are even brillant) but feel disconnected not only as a narrative level (it's Lynch !) but on an EMOTIONAL LEVEL. The Audrey or Sarah Palmer scenes for exemple... it's undeniable, they look very important. And yet, they have been introduced so late, almost on a randomly way (without crossing a more important story or character), that it's hard to see them as stories really connected to the deep roots of the season. It's almost an ORGANIC problem. Something where Lynch is habitually a master.

So I'm having a hard time since Part 9 because I feel like the show has lost its emotionnal anchor. Look at the Norma & Ed reunion : I loved the craziness of it, the extatic combination of the music and the blue sky. But i didn't felt right organically at this point of the story. More we advanced, and more it looked like something very dark was happening in Twin Peaks -- and there, without any preparation, any allegorical logic, Ed and Norma are together. As good some stuffs may be in Part 9-15, there's a lot that doesn't feel right or natural. I want to like it -- but sometimes I just can't. Maybe it's an editing problem -- I already talked about it in the Part 12 topic.

I was also disappointed by Cooper's reminiscence. It felt easy and cheap -- not good enough after all the wait. Don't think he's Coop yet though like some of you seems to think so. If he was, it wouldn't have take so much time for him to put this god damn fork into the plug ! :mrgreen: But he's going to come back, that's for sure now.

I also miss Mother. After the first eight parts, she looked like such a major character, at the center of the heart and the mystery of season 3. And now she's really on the side. Maybe it was a budget problem ? The two last times we saw her was when characters (the giant and Andy) were looking at footages we've already seen as a viewers. Maybe Lynch hasn't be able to shot as many scenes he wanted with her ?

Anyway, maybe I will be able to rewatch the second half of the season with more ease when all of this will be over. I hope so, because there's still a lot of brilliant things in the latest parts ! And I can't wait for a scene between the teapot and the tree ! :lol:
Esselgee wrote:Janey-E is not a good wife. She didn't Dougie-proof all the electrical sockets in her house. She should know better since her husband has had the IQ of 2 year old for awhile now.
I piss myself, thank you ! :P

Part 8 > Part 3 > Part 1 > Part 11 > Part 14 > Part 4 > Part 7 > Part 15 > Part 10 > Part 13 > Part 5 > Part 2 > Part 6 > Part 9 > Part 12
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILE

Post by nonemoreblack »

TheGum wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:Is it me, or does anyone else feel like Mr. C has gotten slightly less evil since Bob left him? He strikes me as more human and less cold than he was in the earlier parts. Even though he's of course still not our Cooper.
Are we sure Bob is out of Mr. C? Doesn't have "have something they want"? Maybe the woodsmen were just tending to Bob in 8, making sure he was still "okay"? I don't think it's clear if Bob is out of Mr. C or not yet.
We did not see bob leave, just rise to the surface, personally the arm wrestling scene convinced me that bob is, in fact, still in Doppelcoop
If that's the case then what was the point of showing him? It's a little odd Bob hasn't been mentioned at all since then, and I felt like when Mr. C went to see Jeffries he wasn't in as powerful a position as he would be with Bob.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jacob wrote:I also miss Mother. After the first eight parts, she looked like such a major character, at the center of the heart and the mystery of season 3. And now she's really on the side. Maybe it was a budget problem ? The two last times we saw her was when characters (the giant and Andy) were looking at footages we've already seen as a viewers. Maybe Lynch hasn't be able to shot as many scenes he wanted with her ?
Or he had a different story in mind that what you anticipated.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Very good episode. I love the fact that things are finally moving, though still quietly hoping for another season of this goodness.

Some observations that I have in no particular order:
  • Sunset Boulevard was referenced and it has a character named Gordon Cole, which obviously triggers good Coop's memory. What is interesting is that the movie also has a character named Norma Desmond. Seems like some other TP character names were inspired by the same movie.
  • Sarah Palmer is now by far the most intriguing character in the show for me. It appears that she has been possessed by the Jumping Man since she was a teenage girl. Was she aware of the possession all her life or just came to realize at some point after Laura's death? Did she know about Leland's possession prior to Laura's murder? It seems unlikely as she was frightened out of her wits by Bob apparition in season 1, but if she was just feigning all this time, then that paints her character in a truly horrific light.
  • I always thought that the Jumping Man was Mike's Lodge body, stunted and damaged after cutting off the arm. Jumping Man and LMFAP are wearing a nearly identical red suit that would imply a connection. However, now with the relevation that Jumping Man has been inside Sarah for decades, I guess that is out the window given that Mike has been possessing Phillip Gerard in the physical world.
  • I really liked the idea mentioned that "Judy" is actually Garland Briggs, but she was described specifically as a woman so it's unlikely that it's the good old major's code name. However, following the Judy Garland trail, perhaps we can get somewhere. The real Judy Garland was famous for starring in the Wizard of Oz. She wore ruby colored slippers in that movie and we've seen the recurring motif of women wearing red high heels in Twin Peaks. That includes Dougie Coop starring intently at a woman walking past wearing such shoes. Also, the name of the girl who was unceremoniously removed from her booth seat in the Roadhouse is named Ruby, if I am not mistaken. She seems too young to be Judy though so I still have no idea who Judy is. Perhaps Judy is also a spirit who has inhabited multiple people?
Last edited by Nighthawk on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

N. Needleman wrote:
Jacob wrote:I also miss Mother. After the first eight parts, she looked like such a major character, at the center of the heart and the mystery of season 3. And now she's really on the side. Maybe it was a budget problem ? The two last times we saw her was when characters (the giant and Andy) were looking at footages we've already seen as a viewers. Maybe Lynch hasn't be able to shot as many scenes he wanted with her ?
Or he had a different story in mind that what you anticipated.
That's possible. But still she's the main threat in the first four parts (with the several scenes about the glass cage, and then in the purple world). And when we understand she's Bob's Mother in Part 8, well, it felt pretty natural that she would be very important in the second half of the season. She still is though. But again it's on footage we've already seen ! On Part 14, Lynch used footage of Part 1 + Part 8 in order to show her to Andy and make him understand she's a threat to Naido. Honestly, it seems like a budget issue.

Anyway, I made other screencaps of the Jumping Man/Sarah Palmer. In some way sometimes there's a similarity with the Mystery Men from Lost Highway. Very freaky.

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Not clear what Richard's intent was. If it was to expose him as FBI, surely better to do that with some back up at the Farm. If it was something to do with understanding his parentage, why the gun? Revenge? Then refer to scenario 1.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

TheGum wrote:
Bookworm wrote:
That makes perfect sense. That kind of seals that the red room is the black lodge at this point. I'm wondering if the room with the couch and chair is just a room in the black lodge that they call the waiting room.
But the person who unlocked the door was talking backwards and in the convenience store scene in FWWM everyone was talking backwards. The Fireman was also talking backwards, though he is probably not in the Black Lodge, and he talked normal when he was speaking to Cooper in season 2. And good Cooper was always speaking normal while in the Lodge. It seems to me more like the backwards talk is connected to the characters rather than the place, and that it's possible for them to speak normal. Why else did Mr. C. accidentally say "yrev" in the prison? It was as if he was speaking in a foreign language while in our world and accidentally switching to his native language because of the stress/accident, therefore I thought it weird he didn't switch back to backwards speech when he was talking to the woodsman.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My response to Part 15 is up: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/08/ ... -some.html. I kinda suspect Cooper is not gonna be revived with his full faculties. Being comatose in a hospital bed might work though, as it elegantly skirts the question of "will seeing his old colleagues wake him up?" and still allows the Chantal/Hutch situation to play out.