Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:There are definitely some subplots that feel oddly rushed and underdeveloped, considering that this thing was scripted and shot as one long production AND outsized to twice the initial planned length. Plot has always been a bit perfunctory to DKL, but with certain subplots here, it feels almost like a frustrating obligation, like a kid being forced to reluctantly say his prayers. This might be the downside of the L/F collaboration. Unlike last time, DKL seems to be struggling to honor and include Mark's contributions almost religiously, even when his heart really isn't in it as director.
I love how subplots feel underdeveloped. I think a huge part of the creation of The Return is giving the viewer the idea that life is taking place outside the frame. Between the roadhouse sequences and then the investigations that have clearly taken place offscreen, it seems that way. With Chad's arrest and Truman's reveal to Ben that he is on top of the hit and run case, it's a new method of storytelling that allows the writers to not have to waste time on certain procedural aspects of the thriller. It's odd to see at first but ultimately refreshing, in my experience. And oerfectly in line with the way everything feels like impressions of events in this season.
And it's quite possible by the end the subplots will no longer feel underdeveloped.

At this point though I feel pretty sure that Beverly is not some sinister double agent. There is nothing more to her storyline other than her attraction to Ben Horne.

I still suspect there is more to Red than meets the eye.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Chantal and Hutch really started to grow on me with my rewatch of this Part. Their little scene was perfect, especially the button at the end of Chantal pointing out Mars.
Did anyone else wonder WHAT was in the bag Hutch handed her as she asked about her 'dessert'? I am also liking this pair more.. but the eerie effect of their scene at the farm in Part 9 when the slain farmer couple were shown briefly, keeps me on edge about their debasement. Since we weren't shown what he got for her dessert I imagined something like maybe a severed dog leg ; )
Don't read too much into it. She was pissed at the tiny ketchup packets. Hutch redeemed himself with a wonderful Wendy's Double Chocolate Chip cookie.
cookie.JPG
cookie.JPG (24.54 KiB) Viewed 10102 times
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

the Nevins podcast was fun to listen to. He was almost about to spoil something and the interviewer was like, 'no, I don't want to know!' I was impressed at his willpower, with even a little bit of encouragement, Nevins would have sailed through that question before he knew what he's said!
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

What is "the Nevins podcast"?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

Deep Thought wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:And yet James sits in a police cell, just after a scuffle at the roadhouse, and I am not sure what he did wrong. :?
Because he put two guys into the hospital, that green gloved freak! Have you noticed that Feddie follows James like a shadow. In part 1 his drink of choice is "whatever [James] is having." Bobby didn't say anything to James in the lock-up cause maybe Bobby wasn't there.

Just sayin.
Split personality or maybe like a guardian spirit? or like a good lodge inhabiting spirit?
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

Deep Thought wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:And yet James sits in a police cell, just after a scuffle at the roadhouse, and I am not sure what he did wrong. :?
Because he put two guys into the hospital, that green gloved freak! Have you noticed that Feddie follows James like a shadow. In part 1 his drink of choice is "whatever [James] is having." Bobby didn't say anything to James in the lock-up cause maybe Bobby wasn't there.

Just sayin.
Split personality or maybe like a guardian spirit? or like a good lodge inhabiting spirit?
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Just my quick notes and remarks.
“My log turned gold.” - Did that happen at the very same moment as Nadine picked her golden shovel and marched to Ed’s?

In the meeting room at the sheriff’s office when Hawk tells that The Log Lady has ceased, the sound of the Giant’s mauve world fills the room, and beyond …

Chantal and Hutch seem to consume violence like (fast)food and their conversation about "cultural differences" support the idea that they represent a parody on Pulp Fiction, or is it a hommage? Not enough ketchup? Hmm, I’ve got this godawful feeling that they might end up at the Double RR with lots and lots of “ketchup.”
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So Nevins basically said that the "evolution of the arm" was in the original script that Lynch and Frost turned in. I thought that was a last minute replacement when MJA didn't work out. Was it in there in addition to LMFAP? Did it have some other role originally and then just became the replacement for LMFAP?
Last edited by Esselgee on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Lynch did say "necessity is the mother of invention" with respect to the arm-tree, so I think they definitely planned on using MJA at some point. Maybe they caught wind of his issues before they finished the script.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

BGate wrote:Lynch did say "necessity is the mother of invention" with respect to the arm-tree, so I think they definitely planned on using MJA at some point. Maybe they caught wind of his issues before they finished the script.
Sources say he dropped out the day before filming Ike's attack on Dougie, which was to be his first day on set.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Major Briggs wrote:
BGate wrote:Lynch did say "necessity is the mother of invention" with respect to the arm-tree, so I think they definitely planned on using MJA at some point. Maybe they caught wind of his issues before they finished the script.
Sources say he dropped out the day before filming Ike's attack on Dougie, which was to be his first day on set.
He never "dropped out" because he never signed on. The intel (I think from Arbogast) on the day of the shoot was that MfAP was scripted to be in the scene but that MJA still hadn't signed on, and Arbogast wasn't sure if it was a recast or what (he was intrigued by the Ike actor being on set, which hysterically turned out to be a coincidence :lol: ).
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
He never "dropped out" because he never signed on. The intel (I think from Arbogast) on the day of the shoot was that MfAP was scripted to be in the scene but that MJA still hadn't signed on, and Arbogast wasn't sure if it was a recast or what (he was intrigued by the Ike actor being on set, which hysterically turned out to be a coincidence :lol: ).
Speaking of MJA, he's been strangely quiet since the new series began, hasn't he?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Major Briggs wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Speaking of MJA, he's been strangely quiet since the new series began, hasn't he?
I wouldn't be surprised if someone told him to shut up about the new show or he'll be sued or blacklisted or something like that.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone told him to shut up about the new show or he'll be sued or blacklisted or something like that.
I don't believe there's anything they could legally do to him for talking shit about the quality of the show. But it is fascinating that he's been in radio silence since the show debuted. I kinda wanted to see him seething about the Evolution. :lol: All I can think of is that DKL very graciously agreed not to pursue his slam-dunk defamation case if MJA would just shut the hell up in the future, and MJA's lawyer wisely locked all his social media accounts in compliance.