Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by AgentEcho »

QuantumMechanic wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:
richsmith wrote: There's a lot to learn about how this whole tupla thing works, and some may go unexplained. But whatever the case may be there seemed to be something genuine about the emotions the tupla Diane was expressing both in the jailhouse and when she was recollecting the story of Evil Cooper's visit.
I'm guessing that for a tulpa to be convincing it has to be "seeded" (word choice intentional) with some aspects of the person being copied. And so those real bits of Diane would come to the surface now and then.
The Evil Cooper also retains the memories of the real Cooper. The real Diane was attacked and abducted by the Evil Cooper and taken to the convenience store, this is likely where the tupla was created. We don't know what happened to the real Diane.

I'm guessing the real Diane is wherever Audrey is.
QuantumMechanic

Post by QuantumMechanic »

(Sorry for the accidental duplicates. Was trying to edit and wasn't paying attention and kept hitting Quote instead of Edit. Can't delete them since there have been posts after them. Mods feel free to delete all but one.)
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

QuantumMechanic wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:
richsmith wrote: There's a lot to learn about how this whole tupla thing works, and some may go unexplained. But whatever the case may be there seemed to be something genuine about the emotions the tupla Diane was expressing both in the jailhouse and when she was recollecting the story of Evil Cooper's visit.
I'm guessing that for a tulpa to be convincing it has to be "seeded" (word choice intentional) with some aspects of the person being copied. And so those real bits of Diane would come to the surface now and then.
Yeah, as opposed to Dougie, Diane definitely seemed to be a lot more conflicted. And I wonder if part of that is due to Dougie's impaired mental faculties (due to the accident, etc.)... probably will never find out, BUT... I do think there's a chance we'll see the "real" Diane in the lodge.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

dugpa wrote:
Seems to me the other two sets of coordinates were not bogus. They were a trap but set by who...
ALBERT! That had to be his voice on the phone. He missed him in New York because he set a trap for him there as well. He has been working with Jeffries perhaps since Jeffries gave the other wrong coordinates.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

cgs027 wrote: Yeah, as opposed to Dougie, Diane definitely seemed to be a lot more conflicted. And I wonder if part of that is due to Dougie's impaired mental faculties (due to the accident, etc.)... probably will never find out, BUT... I do think there's a chance we'll see the "real" Diane in the lodge.
Well, there's the actual Dougie, whom we hardly know, and the catatonic Coop living the life of Dougie, who I don't think is a tulpa (but who knows). We only have bits and pieces of what the real Dougie was like, and that would be analogous to whatever Diane is.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Hester Prynne wrote:So why does Doppel Diane tell the FBI Janey-E is her half sister? Why is that connection important in the show? There's something weird going on there.
Once the Doppelganger went after Diane, she was replaced. And the manufactured replacement clearly set up Diane's sister with Dougie in some form or fashion...
Last edited by Troubbble on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

What do we make of the guy who dispatched Hutch and Chantal? Was that "random" and just an exercise in subverting expectations? Felt like maybe more, but I'm at a total loss.
Last edited by Troubbble on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

Mairzy wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
real diane - blinded and muted by dopplecoop but sent back by the fireman.
In line with what I was just saying... I love this.
I've been places.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3400&p=80504&hilit=Naido#p80504
WINNER!!!
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I only read the Diane Naido connection 15 minutes ago and am already so invested in this idea that I'll be disappointed if this is not the case.

Nice work!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Re: So what's that ringing noise?

Post by djsunyc »

QuantumMechanic wrote:Right before MIKE appears and Cooper awakes (yay!) we (and Bushnell) hear that same ringing noise that was heard in the Great Northern in two places.

Here it seemed to serve the purpose of getting Bushnell out of the room so Cooper and MIKE could have their conversation. But what was it's purpose back at the Great Northern?
imho, something bad is coming to the great northern. lynch didn't show us the basement door for nothing.
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

Since we're all struggling with what the Diane/Naido connection might mean, let me throw a curveball at it: Naido backwards is O-Dian. Might that explain the extra "E" at the end of Janey's name? Since she may/may not be her half-sister?
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Re: So what's that ringing noise?

Post by cgs027 »

djsunyc wrote:
QuantumMechanic wrote:Right before MIKE appears and Cooper awakes (yay!) we (and Bushnell) hear that same ringing noise that was heard in the Great Northern in two places.

Here it seemed to serve the purpose of getting Bushnell out of the room so Cooper and MIKE could have their conversation. But what was it's purpose back at the Great Northern?
imho, something bad is coming to the great northern. lynch didn't show us the basement door for nothing.
I'm beginning to agree with previous posts from ep 15 that posited that James found something behind that door that resulted in him getting him and Hulk hand thrown into jail for a reason -- ie., the lodge is putting the pawns into place for the eventual battle royal.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So does everyone else agree that Jerry definitely recognized Richard and possibly Cooper through his binoculars, even though looking through binoculars that way wouldn't have magnified anything?

Will he go tell Ben about what he saw?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Naturally this was my favorite part so far.

No mention yet... But no one thought when Audrey dances and someone smashed the glass, it's what set her off from the dream... She runs over to her guide/brain and says "get me out of here!" It seemed like her first real declarative sentence. She woke up, and if she was In a coma, she finally work up, grabbed a mirror and was shocked. It looked like she had on a white hospital gown.

So much amazing stuff tonight.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

Esselgee wrote:So does everyone else agree that Jerry definitely recognized Richard and possibly Cooper through his binoculars, even though looking though binoculars that way wouldn't have magnified anything?

Will he go tell Ben about what he saw?
Yeah, I loved how that scene played out, since you weren't sure if he was freaked out about seeing "Cooper" or Ben's grandson. It sounded like he was mumbling about Ben after Richard went up in smoke, though, so probably the latter...