Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Do we think the coordinates where Richard died were the two matching or other one? Like did he send him to the non-matching one and lie to him about it because he thought it might be a trap?

And who are the three people that sent him coordinates? Who sent the two matching set vs. the other set? Did Diane ever sent him any as far as we know before this episode? And did Diane send Mr. C the "right" or "wrong" coordinates in this episode?
Diane's coordinates and Ray's both came from the same source, and both were wrong.

Jeffries gave the right coordinates, I assume.

I see shades of both Mike and Garland Briggs in this unfurling plot. All twists and turns aside, both bad sets of coordinates came from Garland, ultimately. Unless I'm hopelessly confused.

This helps make sense of the "Janey-E" ring found in the Major's stomach, which seems connected in some crucial way to the Owl Cave Ring... Given that the latter (seemingly) replaced the former on Dougie's finger.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

another wild theory - LINDA will be saved for a potential future season/movie.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Troubbble wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Do we think the coordinates where Richard died were the two matching or other one? Like did he send him to the non-matching one and lie to him about it because he thought it might be a trap?

And who are the three people that sent him coordinates? Who sent the two matching set vs. the other set? Did Diane ever sent him any as far as we know before this episode? And did Diane send Mr. C the "right" or "wrong" coordinates in this episode?
Diane's coordinates and Ray's both came from the same source, and both were wrong.

Jeffries gave the right coordinates, I assume.
The Jeffries coordinates were the same as the one on Ruth Davenport's arm though, from what I can tell. So are those wrong or right? I assume Jeffries may know he's not really Cooper and was trying to kill him?
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

djsunyc wrote:another wild theory - LINDA will be saved for a potential future season/movie.
I like this theory. I like this theory A LOT.
-
As above, so below.
-
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I hope they make some improvements when manufacturing the next Dougie Jones Tulsa. The last Dougie Jones didn't strike me as a particularly great guy. He drinks, gambles, and cheats on his wife with prostitutes. I hope Janey-E and Sonny Jim get a happy ending.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i've changed my mind. diane is not naido...but CHAD!!! :)
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:I hope they make some improvements when manufacturing the next Dougie Jones Tulsa. The last Dougie Jones didn't strike me as a particularly great guy. He drinks, gambles, and cheats on his wife with prostitutes. I hope Janey-E and Sonny Jim get a happy ending.
last tulpa was made by dopplecoop. this one will be made from one of the top 5 greatest tv characters of all time :)
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

How does Evil Coop even know that two, one, or none of the sets of coordinates are "right" or "wrong"?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I wish we had got to see Cooper telling the Mitchum brothers that he needed to go to "Twin Peaks". Just hearing him say those words would have been that much more incredible.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

ThumbsUp wrote:How does Evil Coop even know that two, one, or none of the sets of coordinates are "right" or "wrong"?
he didn't say right or wrong. he said two of them matched while one didn't.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

djsunyc wrote:
Mr. Jackpots wrote:I hope they make some improvements when manufacturing the next Dougie Jones Tulsa. The last Dougie Jones didn't strike me as a particularly great guy. He drinks, gambles, and cheats on his wife with prostitutes. I hope Janey-E and Sonny Jim get a happy ending.
last tulpa was made by dopplecoop. this one will be made from one of the top 5 greatest tv characters of all time :)
Is Homer Simpson manufacturing the next Dougie Tulpa?
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Some additional thoughts on the Audrey / Roadhouse issue: logically, the idea of Audrey having been in a coma and/or the Lodge for 25 years and simply imagining this most recent scene doesn't seem like it ought to hold up. But maybe this is just another case of TP characters having a level of extra-sensory awareness and/or information being transmitted though the Lodges somehow?

Most of the evidence seems to suggest that the Roadhouse scenes up until now were real, as opposed to just a construct in Audrey's mind, because we've seen people from the real world turn up there and talk about characters and events that we also know to be real:

1) Shelly and her friends talking about Becky and James, and Shelly noticing Red
2) Richard assaulting that woman from the other booth and paying off Chad
3) James and Freddie getting in a fight (and then getting thrown in jail)

There are really only two hints, prior to tonight, that any of the Roadhouse scenes should be taken at less than face value. First, there's one guy in the crowd who caught my attention for whatever reason and who not only seems to be there in every scene, but wearing the same plaid shirt every night - it's a relatively young guy wearing glasses with a beard and mustache (which makes me wonder if some of the others in the crowd are also showing up in the same clothes in every scene). I can buy that they filmed all these scenes at once with the same extras (and that the same residents of the town go to the Roadhouse every night), but in the same clothes? Surely they could have found time to have the extras change clothes. Then there's the girl crawling on the floor and screaming without anybody seeming to notice, but I took that as more just another indication at the prevalence of assholery in present-day Twin Peaks.

However, the MC who announced "Audrey's dance" (which I assume we can all agree was *not* real) seems to be the same guy we've seen going at least as far back as NIN's appearance. One wouldn't expect Audrey to be imagining the presence of a real-life MC that she's never encountered (unless we're to assume that he's a long-time fixture who just didn't appear on-screen in the original series) or, for that matter, the presence of plaid-shirt bearded guy, who was there yet again tonight. But one also wouldn't expect her to imagine things that were happening IRL (Shelly and Red, Richard and Chad, James and Freddie) that she'd have no knowledge of if she's been comatose or in the Lodges ever since the bank explosion.

Maybe this is just one of those Lynchian puzzles that won't ever line up with a definitive interpretation. Otherwise, it seems like Audrey would have to possess some psychic ability or be "receiving" information through the Lodges for either scenario - that every Roadhouse scene was in her mind or that only tonight's was - to hold up. I guess a third possibility is that she's been conscious and sane for most of her life following the bank explosion, but only recently became delusional and/or entered the Lodges.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Is Homer Simpson manufacturing the next Dougie Tulpa?
yes and he'll be called NAID'OH!
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

cooper075 wrote:
FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Troubbble wrote:What do we make of the guy who dispatched Hutch and Chantal? Was that "random" and just an exercise in subverting expectations? Felt like maybe more, but I'm at a total loss.
Yeah, I think he's just a jerk with a gun. I'd call it road rage, except he wasn't exactly driving. Curb rage, maybe?
He was the jerk??? They shot first - he was just defending himself.
Well, obviously I'm not defending their moral character. But he did ram their van and (I guess) claim they were blocking his driveway even though they weren't, and he kept firing even after the van was moving away. He didn't exactly come across as a very polite or patient person.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Holy shit -- my head exploded from Part 16, and is now re-exploding from this amazing stuff that folks here are coming up with.

I'm totally not convinced on any of this anagram stuff with Diane's name. BUT, it really seems that Naido is the real Diane that was probably trapped by DoppelCoop. I was so puzzled by her "I'm in the Sheriff's station" comments in the episode, and just did not put things together until coming here to read the comments. I really think that's what's up. But something that works against that is the fact that Cooper didn't recognize Naido as Diane in part 3 when he encountered her in the weird mauve room. Maybe Naido has something to do with Judy, and the real Diane came to occupy that in this other dimension -- or at least was shipped back to earth in this way.

Still can't even process the rest of what went down in that episode. The ending just completely blew my head off. We all started to suspect that weird stuff was going on with Audrey - -but to have it all drop like was astonishing. I had always thought that Audrey's character would have NO significance at all to the larger main story about Cooper. How totally wrong that was.