Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by ThumbsUp »

Reddit user selflessscoundrel on Diane/Naido: "In the original series Diane had no voice or eyes, she was basically only a tape recorder that coop talked to."

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... h=1b3649d6

Good point.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I'm so excited! Cooper is going back to Twin Peaks to reunite with Annie!
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

ThumbsUp wrote:Reddit user selflessscoundrel on Diane/Naido: "In the original series Diane had no voice or eyes, she was basically only a tape recorder that coop talked to."

Good point.

So maybe for all these years Cooper's tape recorder has really just been sending updates to the white lodge/mauve room. Tape recorder, magnetic tape, electrical energy. Who knows. Not sure why the Fireman would want to know what he ate for lunch everyday though.

In any case, makes at least as much sense as the surface understandings of things: that he records and somehow ships a loads of tapes to his secretary on a daily basis.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

It looks like Audrey is seeing herself for the first time after 25 years, right? My initial read was that she was simply confused as to her surroundings or situation but now I dunno, seeing that GIF.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

thedarktrees wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Reddit user selflessscoundrel on Diane/Naido: "In the original series Diane had no voice or eyes, she was basically only a tape recorder that coop talked to."

Good point.

So maybe for all these years Cooper's tape recorder has really just been sending updates to the white lodge/mauve room. Tape recorder, magnetic tape, electrical energy. Who knows. Not sure why the Fireman would want to know what he ate for lunch everyday though.

In any case, makes at least as much sense as the surface understandings of things: that he records and somehow ships a loads of tapes to his secretary on a daily basis.
I think it'd just be cool symbolism that links back to Diane's original presentation on the show.

I'm very curious about that apparently first time Coop kissed Diane on the lips though.
blue_tomorrows
Roadhouse Member

Post by blue_tomorrows »

ThumbsUp wrote:It looks like Audrey is seeing herself for the first time after 25 years, right? My initial read was that she was simply confused as to her surroundings or situation but now I dunno, seeing that GIF.
So at the end of the Roadhouse scene, she's very close to Charlie, facing him directly. After the sharp cut, she's very close to a mirror, facing it directly. Could be that the theories about Charlie being a creation of her own mind are correct.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

ThumbsUp wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:

Good point.

I think it'd just be cool symbolism that links back to Diane's original presentation on the show.

I'm very curious about that apparently first time Coop kissed Diane on the lips though.
Sounds like their earlier relationship was similar to the one he had later with Audrey.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

ThumbsUp wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:

Good point.

Oh interesting symoblism for sure if things work out that way. I just think it's funny how utterly implausible and weird the whole Diane tape recorder things was back then. How really did they expect people to imagine that would work?

Isn't there some reference to Coop and Diane hooking it up in that book based on Cooper's tapes that came out way back in the day?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

blue_tomorrows wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:It looks like Audrey is seeing herself for the first time after 25 years, right? My initial read was that she was simply confused as to her surroundings or situation but now I dunno, seeing that GIF.
So at the end of the Roadhouse scene, she's very close to Charlie, facing him directly. After the sharp cut, she's very close to a mirror, facing it directly. Could be that the theories about Charlie being a creation of her own mind are correct.
This makes all the sense in the world, in light of their comversation as we saw it. Just Audrey arguing with herself...
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Did anyone mention Diane's blue dress = blue rose yet?
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

probably. you know what else i think - that'll be the last time we see audrey.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So Dougie's heavily armed neighbor was the one actor that people thought was in the photo with Doppel Coop at the New York box location, right?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Troubbble wrote:
blue_tomorrows wrote:
This makes all the sense in the world, in light of their comversation as we saw it. Just Audrey arguing with herself...
I'm finding myself repeating myself in this thread and in the Audrey thread (apologies!) but there's just so much from this episode that fuels Audrey speculation.

Basically, the doors behind Charlie in his office are the same doors that Mrs. Chalfont beckons Laura through into The Dutchman's via the painting in her room.

That makes me wonder, and I think this may have been alluded to earlier in this thread, but was Audrey dumped in the convenience store the way Diane was? To either have a tulpa made of her, or to simply imprison her?
kylie

Post by kylie »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Did anyone mention Diane's blue dress = blue rose yet?
The background of the Rancho Rosa slate at the beginning was blue too!