Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

anthoto1 wrote:
ShelleyAgedWell wrote:Audrey dancing in the Roadhouse was strange, what with everyone else in the place moving to one side to watch her
Of course it was strange : this wasn't reality as for every previous Audrey's scene.
It was great how Lynch and Frost sort of pulled the rug out from under us two or three times in a row there. My reactions went from "Huh, so I guess Audrey and Charlie are in the real world after all," to "OK, this is weird, but Twin Peaks is a weird town and maybe everyone there just already knows Audrey" to "All right, this is just too bizarre to be real, even in - wait, what are those guys fighting about? What's with the mirror? WTF? Noooo, don't be over yet, episode!"
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

garethw wrote:
Troubbble wrote:What do we make of the guy who dispatched Hutch and Chantal? Was that "random" and just an exercise in subverting expectations? Felt like maybe more, but I'm at a total loss.
Was he trying to get into the driveway at 1-1-9 lady's house?

I loved that whole scene, even if I am sad to see the end of Hutch and Chantal.
You know, you had me rethinking for a minute there, because during the Hutch-Chantal stakeout scene I kept thinking the DOM (119) woman would pipe up, but then I realised: she's squatting in the foreclosed estate in Rancho Rosa, opposite the house Jade-2-rides and Dougie Jones used for their 'liaison', and not on Lancelot Court. Did we make the same mistake?
Last edited by Novalis on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by mtsi »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtsi wrote:I can't get over how much I smiled this episode. When he woke up, I actually teared up. Can't wait for next week. Now, I DO WISH they were doing more. Damn.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
So has this redeemed the series for you? Or at least the delayed gratification of seeing Dale?
To a certain point, absolutely. I'm sad we only have 2 hours to tie things up, though.

To me, the disheartening fact is the series didn't live up to my own hopes and internal hype, but I'm okay with that.

I AM one of the fans that loves fan service and I WAS hoping we'd get a ton of call backs. I didn't want a deeper fleshing out of character, outside of a new arc.

That said, I'm looking forward to the finale to see how they tied it all up. As much as I do want more now, I can only assume they'll leave us wanting, which is okay. It's better than Dale trapped forever.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Last edited by mtsi on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live inside a dream.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Novalis wrote:
garethw wrote:
Troubbble wrote:What do we make of the guy who dispatched Hutch and Chantal? Was that "random" and just an exercise in subverting expectations? Felt like maybe more, but I'm at a total loss.

You know, you had me rethinking for a minute there, because during the Hutch-Chantal stakeout scene I kept thinking the DOM (119) woman would pipe up, but then I realised, she's squatting in the foreclosed house in Rancho Rosa, opposite the house Jade-2-rides and Dougie Jones used, and not on Lancelot Court. Did we make the same mistake?
Heh. Yup. :)
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

garethw wrote:
Novalis wrote:
garethw wrote:

You know, you had me rethinking for a minute there, because during the Hutch-Chantal stakeout scene I kept thinking the DOM (119) woman would pipe up, but then I realised, she's squatting in the foreclosed house in Rancho Rosa, opposite the house Jade-2-rides and Dougie Jones used, and not on Lancelot Court. Did we make the same mistake?
Heh. Yup. :)
Thought so :) I blame there being something about the suburban monotony of those type of house exteriors, they are so easy to confuse; so generic, saccharine, pre-fabricated, bland. We wouldn't make this mistake with the colonial style Palmer house with its imposing american-gothic vibe.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I'm surprised more people aren't more annoyed with the Cooper age discrepancy. Gahhhhhhhhh. I'll stew in my own neurotic pain haha.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:About the Diane/Naido connection:

The "I'm in the Sheriff's station" made me think of Naido as well. But how can Naido and Diane be original and tulpa? Doesn't the tulpa always look like the original? Cooper, DoppelCooper and Dougie all looked the same and the three Lois Duffy's also looked the same. The original Diane must have looked the same as TulpaDiane, or else Gordon and Albert wouldn't have recognized her as Diane. Moreover, if tulpas can look different from the original, anyone could be anyone's tulpa.
The tulpa looks like the original, but was the original altered to look the way she looks now when Evil Coop took her to the Convenience Store (if that's what happened)?
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

I don't Know if anyone has made this connection but when Do me said she' s at the Sherriff's Station i thought of something. Naido I'd O Dian backwards so is Naido, Diane ? Maybe but that remains to be seen. I'm so glad the Good Dale is back and I'm seeing things begging to tie together.
Can't wait for next weeks finale.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I'm surprised more people aren't more annoyed with the Cooper age discrepancy. Gahhhhhhhhh. I'll stew in my own pain haha.
Is there a discrepancy, though? Maybe the doppelganger was created when Cooper entered the Red Room. That'd make him 25 years older than Richard.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I love the wardrobe on this one; the way Diane is visually made out to be a blue rose:

Throughout the series I've been intrigued by Diane's rather unusual outfits. Here, the colour of that top is very close to the powder-blue colour of the rose pinned to Lil's tailored dress in FWWM. It's a beautifully concrete-literal sign of what she is.
Last edited by Novalis on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

garethw wrote:

No idea! But after reading the AC Club review, at least one person agrees with me that the accountant was kind of curious--even if we're both wrong! Hahaha.

(I tend to like the observation someone shared here earlier, that they were undone by just the type of American citizen they were opining about in the previous episode.)
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Panapaok wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I'm surprised more people aren't more annoyed with the Cooper age discrepancy. Gahhhhhhhhh. I'll stew in my own pain haha.
Is there a discrepancy, though? Maybe the doppelganger was created when Cooper entered the Red Room. That'd make him 25 years older than Richard.
I've been trying to stay out age discrepancy debate, but ... what? Cooper didn't enter the Red Room 50 years ago!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Panapaok wrote:
No, that'd make him 9 or 10 months older than Richard.

Maybe, since time is so screwy in the Lodge, the Doppelganger doesn't know how old he is.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Troubbble wrote:
garethw wrote:

No idea! But after reading the AC Club review, at least one person agrees with me that the accountant was kind of curious--even if we're both wrong! Hahaha.

(I tend to like the observation someone shared here earlier, that they were undone by just the type of American citizen they were opining about in the previous episode.)
This point you make (in parentheses) brings up a point about watching all 18 parts together versus watching them piecemeal. Unless (unlike me) you have really good recall you are going to miss a lot of depth watching it piecemeal. Hutch-Chantal dialogue in part 15 was a perfect example of dramatic irony when closely followed by part 16. Having a week's wait and lots of chatter in between these parts, this subtlety is easily lost.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Ragnell wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
No, that'd make him 9 or 10 months older than Richard.
No. I mean that he was created 25 years ago but he had the same age with Cooper. I don't know, that somehow makes sense to me. I always sucked at math though, so I'm not really sure. :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.