Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Rik Renault »

whoisalhedges wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:People were thinking cherry pie or coffee would bring him back... but it was at the mention of "Gordon Cole" that "DougieCoop" became Dale Cooper again. Not whole, not yet - he needed something, that "spark," the equivalent of the "seed" but for a real person; and he knew where he could find it: in the electricity.

So why did Gordon's name do what these other pleasures could not? Well, because that's all they were. I think that's why they had the sex scene in part 10 - pleasures are nice, but they're not who we are. Coffee and pie are things Coop likes, but "Gordon Cole" reminds him of who he is. He is Colonel - er, I mean Special Agent Dale Cooper. He is the FBI.
This is an interesting idea and also plays into the metatheory that many people have had. Saying the name of the dreamer caused him to stir and wake up.
Oh, I don't think it has anything to do with "the dreamer," I don't think that's where we're headed. ;) Just that cherry pie is something Coop likes, but is also something millions of people like. It's a sensory pleasure. Gordon Cole is his boss and his friend. It's a personal connection to Dale Cooper the man.
I think the meta-references and fourth wall breaks are becoming too numerate to ignore at this point. I'm not going to bet my house that they will end up being intrinsic to the plot in-universe, but I think that particular reading of the show is definitely valid and likely intentional.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by TheGum »

I really like where you guys are going with the Dougie interpretations.

Also- don't want to veer super far off course here, but we've been bringing up all the different homages to tv shows that have come since the original Peaks, mad men, breaking bad-- I think there may be a Lost reference in this episode, I was just watching the computer/Cole scene over and one of the screens says "security system" in huge letters...a smoke monster reference perhaps?
I'm back in style!
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by whoisalhedges »

Rik Renault wrote:I'm not going to bet my house that they will end up being intrinsic to the plot in-universe, but I think that particular reading of the show is definitely valid and likely intentional.
Okay, yeah, THAT - I think you're onto something there. I don't think it's something we'll be given, but I absolutely think Lynch will end things with multiple possible interpretations up in the air for us to grab onto.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Novalis »

Rik Renault wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:People were thinking cherry pie or coffee would bring him back... but it was at the mention of "Gordon Cole" that "DougieCoop" became Dale Cooper again. Not whole, not yet - he needed something, that "spark," the equivalent of the "seed" but for a real person; and he knew where he could find it: in the electricity.

So why did Gordon's name do what these other pleasures could not? Well, because that's all they were. I think that's why they had the sex scene in part 10 - pleasures are nice, but they're not who we are. Coffee and pie are things Coop likes, but "Gordon Cole" reminds him of who he is. He is Colonel - er, I mean Special Agent Dale Cooper. He is the FBI.
This is an interesting idea and also plays into the metatheory that many people have had. Saying the name of the dreamer caused him to stir and wake up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
A nice point. Whether this is the intended take-away or not*, I love it. It reminds me of two key scenes in MD where (according to some interpretations) Diane Selwyn is threatened with the realisation she is dreaming (of being Betty): the first, where she discovers the corpse in the bed at the apartment (in dreamwork, discovery of a dead body is seen as a self-reflexive bodily awareness of being asleep, so that subsequent moments can be considered 'lucid' dreaming); the second, the much-cited Club Silencio scene where Rebekah del Rio faints but the soundtrack continues and 'No Hay Banda!', as if by magic, she has acquired the blue box that will soon lead her home to her miserable existence.

I'm fascinated by dream/woke boundaries and how they are crossed in film. This week and the last week's parts (15 & 16) have been an especial treat for me.

I'll echo the nice whoisallhedges - Rik Renault exchange here:
whoisallhedges wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:I'm not going to bet my house that they will end up being intrinsic to the plot in-universe, but I think that particular reading of the show is definitely valid and likely intentional.
Okay, yeah, THAT - I think you're onto something there. I don't think it's something we'll be given, but I absolutely think Lynch will end things with multiple possible interpretations up in the air for us to grab onto.
THIS.

*Frequently in Q&As Lynch asks us not to really be overly concerned with authorial intention. You could argue it's a performative contradiction: it's his intention that we're not fixated on striving to uncover his intention. But that is missing the point; what he is really saying is to fully deploy your own apparatus rather than cramming on pre-knowledge based on an external locus of evaluation. Use your own visceral, emotional and psychological equipment to enter the world he's crafted and take from it what you need. As if reading Lynch's intention from his creations were remotely possible! Also I'm wary of authorial intent established after the fact; Lynch self-admittedly doesn't have a clue what he's doing 90% of the time. Intentions are often given to provide an account of a process from the past that one wishes to rationalise only in a present context: as such they tell you more about now then they do about the past.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I'm back in style!
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Elric99 wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
AgentEcho wrote: I don't really know what to think of the Roadhouse scenes as a whole - whether they are real or some sort of projection of different characters' thoughts, dreams, etc. I think there is one shot of the lights outside before the epic sweeping scene where all four lights are lit instead of just the three that are lit whenever there are performances, but I don't know if that has any meaning. I thought maybe it was some sort of code for shady dealings like the light at the top during the original series that warned Jacques to stay away.
Hmm yeah I went back to check how the lights outside the Roadhouse were lit for each time. Here's my notes below. The only time all the lights are on and all 4 floodlights directly under the Roadhouse sign are working is in Part 7, the sweeping scene with no band performing. That episode is also the one that ends at the RR Diner with the extras changing suddenly and the Windom Earle theme "hidden" underneath the Sleepwalk song. What does it all mean ?!

roadhouse: 4 upper level lights, 3 lights that curve down, 4 floodlights right under bang bang sign
part 2: 0-0-3. chromatics, shelly, renee, james, freddie, red
part 3: ?-?-?. only reflection of sign in puddle. only band plays, no characters.
part 4: ?-?-3. closeup of sign, can only see floodlights. only band plays, no characters.
part 5: 0-0-3. "bing", richard horne, chad
part 6: 0-0-3. only band plays, no characters.
part 7: 4-3-4. sweeping scene, jean-michel. this part ends with the strange RR Diner scene where Bing shouts about Billy, not at roadhouse.
part 8: ?-?-?. no sign shown at all. pine cone announcer, "the" NIN.
part 9: ?-?-?. only reflection of sign in puddle. "rash" girl/penguin talk.
part 10: 0-0-3. only band plays, no characters.
part 12: ?-?-3. closeup of sign, can only see floodlights. chromatics. talk about angela, clark, mary, trick getting run off road
part 13: 0-0-3. pine cone announcer, james' song, renee
part 14: ?-?-3. closeup of sign, can only see floodlights. talk about "nuthouse" and Tina and BIlly
part 15: 0-0-3. crawling/screaming woman.
part 16: 0-0-3. pine cone announcer, eddie vedder, audrey, charlie
I checked the Roadhouse scenes for clues as well but didn't find anything conclusive. Apart from the shot in Part 7, there are only 3 different kinds of exterior shots: a shot of the reflection of the Bang Bang sign in the puddle (Parts 3, 5, 9), an exterior shot of the Roadhouse (Parts 2, 5, 6, 10, 13, 15 [second scene], 16), and a close-up of the flashing Bang Bang sign (Parts 2, 4, 12, 14, 15 [first scene]). Most scenes use only one of the shots, except for Parts 2 and 5, which use two of the shots. It's raining in all of the shots and they were probably filmed at the same time. Some of the shots are reused footage. Part 8 (Nine Inch Nails) is the only scene that doesn't use any exterior shot at all and it is the first scene that features the MC.
Image Image Image

Roadhouse exterior shots:
- Part 2: two people pass by, two people get out of the green car, a biker on a motorcycle arrives and stops in front of the Roadhouse. This is followed by close-up of Roadhouse sign.
- Parts 5 and 13: two guys pass by, a biker on a motorcycle with beaming headlights is standing in front of Roadhouse (this is probably a continuation of the scene from Part 2 where the biker arrived). The shot in Part 5 is preceded by a shot of the puddle.
- Part 6: The biker who arrived in Part 2 walks past the Roadhouse from left to right, a car drives by from right to left.
- Parts 10 and 15 [second scene]: a couple holding hands passes by, a biker on a motorcycle arrives and stops in front of the Roadhouse (this might be an alternate shot of the scene from Part 2 because the couple looks like the two people who got out of the car, the motorcycle arrives a bit later than in Part 2 and stops in the same spot, and the second couple from Part 2 isn't in this shot).
- Part 16: two people walk by from left to right, there are reflections of passing cars in the Roadhouse windows.

Roadhouse puddle shots:
- Part 3: shows only the puddle
- Parts 5 and 9: show the same shot of someone stepping into the puddle, the shot in Part 5 is followed by the exterior shot of the Roadhouse

My conclusion: I don't think there is anything in these shots that could tell us if the scenes are real or dreams. The shots of the Roadhouse are all similar and probably just one scene (or different takes) that was chopped up, some of it reused (the original series also reused exterior shots sometimes, so I don't think it means anything). I can't really make out a pattern in the use of the three different shots. Some of the weird scenes like Audrey, James singing and Rebekah Del Rio wearing a dress that looks like the floor of the Black Lodge use the exterior shot of the Roadhouse, but this kind of shot is also used for scenes that most people believe are real, like Richard or Shelly, Renee, James, Freddie and Red (though interestingly, those two scenes are the only ones that are preceded by two shots). If there were any clues that tell us the scenes are real or dreams, I think they would be more obvious and not require us to look at extras passing by the Roadhouse. Looking at the appearance of the MC doesn't help me either. He appears in weird scenes like Audrey's, but he is also in the scene where James and Freddie fight with Chuck. That scene is weird enough to be unreal and it features a guy who was mentioned by Audrey, but if the scene was unreal, how did James and Freddie end up in prison for putting two guys in intensive care? :? I think we probably won't get an answer because I doubt the last two episodes will go back to all the Roadhouse scenes to tells us if they were real or not. Unless there's a clue that we all missed in all these scenes and will be revealed in the final episode. Or maybe everything is a dream or illusion.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I REPEAT: THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Just realised some might view this answer in an interview with Sherilyn Fenn as a potential spoiler, so tagged it appropriately.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: If David Lynch wanted to do another season of Twin Peaks, would you do it?
Fenn: “Oh yeah. He said if people loved it he would do another one."
Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... vid-lynch/
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... vid-lynch/
Last edited by Rik Renault on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

re comments by whoisallhedges - Rik Renault - Novalis above -

however this resolves itself, I think the ' spine ' or underlying pattern here, is that on whatever level of reality characters exist, whether that is cole, or audrey, or dale cooper, or diane, or laura, or sarah palmer, somewhere their ' essence ' stays the same, they are who they are, their consciousness or essential being remains intact, whether it is trapped in another body, or in the lodge, or buried by grief, or framed by work or social environments, or seen at several ' meta ' removes, or filtered through dreams, or seen through shifting character's points of view ... i think this comes from lynch's TM and interest in 'unified theory' about ' diving down' through layers.... the layers can sometimes even be a thick fog that keeps people from connecting with themselves or with the world, but they are just different / parallel 'modes of being' or levels of identity or individual's perception/understanding, - the actual person, or seed, remains constant.

This is more or less what I take Lynch to have been exploring in this series, anyway, although he does it in his own way, by inference and representation, rather than spelling it out or lecturing us. We get to make up our own minds, and see things from our own perspective...

[ edit. it is difficult to talk about this stuff without sounding like a crank. Lynch has some cranky elements but somehow is also very down to earth. I can't pretend to understand what he is up to or what he really thinks about all this kind of stuff, but it is fascinating watching him building these kind of crazy paving continental quilt DIY models of consciousness and setting the machine in motion so that they have a life of their own. I am not sure that even he gets it all until a few years later, since as he says, half the time he is playing by ear and instinct, grabbing ideas on the fly and running with them to see where they take him...]
Last edited by referendum on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
SamGGD

Post by SamGGD »

Rik Renault wrote:THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I REPEAT: THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Just realised some might view this answer in an interview with Sherilyn Fenn as a potential spoiler, so tagged it appropriately.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: If David Lynch wanted to do another season of Twin Peaks, would you do it?
Fenn: “Oh yeah. He said if people loved it he would do another one."
Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... vid-lynch/
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... vid-lynch/
Well... WE LOVE IT!!...
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I can see all the concern about inconsistencies given Lynch's past statements on not being concerned about details or contradictions, but I think not only did Frost and Lynch specifically tell us to pay attention closely at the start of the season, but they literally had YEARS to put this together. They announced this in like 2014, and they worked on the script and filming for years. If it's there it's intentional. There is no reason they would show a close up of Diane's phone at 4:32 if they didn't want you to notice, it would have been simple to cut to her looking back at it, why was there a second shot of it at all!? Because they want you to see it.
I'm back in style!
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

They have to leave some meat on the bone for potential season 4. Anyone thinking that every thread gets snipped off this sweater is going to be disappointed...
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

referendum wrote:Maybe I am reading the Dougie storyline differently to some other people here.

How i have been seeing it is - Dale Cooper was fully present and conscious but trapped in a sort of Limbo inside the residue of Dougie ( who was a trap set for him by Mr C ). So Dale Cooper has been aware of everything happening and taking note of it ( as Dale Cooper), but has not been able to express it or to ' get out' of Dougie's shell, has not been in control of the vehicle, as it were, so he has been stumbling around in this benign Dougie fog, acting stunned, unable to find the exit. So as soon as he finds a way out, he leaps out ' 100%' - there is no halfway state. Either he is still trapped, or he isn't - either he gets himself back, or he doesn't.

[ edit ]
Personally I feel like Coooer didn't lose twenty five years of his life. It was presented like he is even more lightly enlightened, and kniws everything he went through... Which I think is a great way to use it in the story... Not weeks of what is this cell phone thing, etc. he's now new and improved Coop.
- yes! agree with that ^^^^
Dale was never trapped inside of Dougie at any point.

Any new knowledge he possesses comes from his quasi-prescient existence in the Black Lodge, and from his week spent "coming back to himself," while others mistook his identity.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Any new knowledge he possesses comes from his quasi-prescient existence in the Black Lodge, and from his week spent "coming back to himself," while others mistook his identity.
I don't agree, exactly, or I see it in a different way. I think he came back fully aware but unable to engage with the world pr properly take his place as Dale Cooper immediately. I think he was always 'himself' as Dougie, analysing and registering everything ( eg details like the snub nose /32 under the Mullins' left shoulder), but unable to properly articulate or co-ordinate, because of the Dougie trap Mr C set, which was partially effective, in that it took him a while to find a way back into the world as fully functional. Dale Cooper was there all the time, but there was a sort of Dougie shaped filter between him and the reality he found himself in ( Dougie's reality, not his, remember) which he had to find a way to break out of. A kind of Limbo, neither here nor there, like a driver who finds himself locked inside a driverless car. All he lacked was the key.

I am not sure there is a definitive reading here. I think it is something that different people explain to themselves in different ways, like viewing the same object from different angles. The object remains the same, the point of view or perception of it doesn't. We are both seeing/ saying the same thing, but in different ways. :)
Last edited by referendum on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

referendum wrote:

I don't agree. I think he came back fully aware but unable to engage with the world pr properly take his place as Dale Cooper immediately. I think he was always 'himself' as Dougie, analysing and registering everything ( eg details like the snub nose /32 under the Mullins' left shoulder), but unable to properly articulate or co-ordinate, because of the dougie trap Mr C set, which was partially effective, in that it took him a while to find a way back into the world as fully functional.

I am not sure there is a definitive reading here. I think it is something that different people explain to themselves in different ways, like viewing the same object from different angles. The object remains the same, the point of view or perception of it doesn't. We are both seeing/ saying the same thing, but in different ways. :)
It seems that Dale was consciously observing the world through Dougie's eyes, at the very least. Something of a locked-in syndrome where he was fully awake, but unable to control his body.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

referendum wrote:

I don't agree. I think he came back fully aware but unable to engage with the world pr properly take his place as Dale Cooper immediately. I think he was always 'himself' as Dougie, analysing and registering everything ( eg details like the snub nose /32 under the Mullins' left shoulder), but unable to properly articulate or co-ordinate, because of the dougie trap Mr C set, which was partially effective, in that it took him a while to find a way back into the world as fully functional.
I think the first part of what you're saying is more or less correct. Dale was unable to communicate and had the faculties of a newborn, but behind his eyes, everything was still intact--and he was capable of absorbing all the information around him.

As for the rest:

Dougie was a glorified mannequin who only existed on Earth to be sucked up into the Black Lodge in the Doppelganger's place, once his time came due. The idea that Dougie was a "trap" or that his creation someone caused Dale to be incapacitated once he returned is a misreading. It was coming back to reality after 25 years in the Lodge which reduced him to the state we've seen all along, nothing to do with Dougie Jones.