Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Burns's Suite

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Burns's Suite »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Rhodes wrote:Still hoping to see Harry Truman (and/or Annie, Chet Desmond). And maybe a mention of Donna and/or Pete?
Not expecting to see any of the above in new footage except maybe Harry. But I'm shocked we haven't gotten a Nance dedication yet. I hope it was saved for the finale. I guess I can accept that Pete was so removed from the new story that they just couldn't shoehorn in a mention/photo, but it will be sad if the only acknowledgement of his death is in TSHoTP.
Actually I've had the feeling that they'd save this one until closer to the end by using the footage of Pete discovering Laura's body (and maybe our classic wrapped in plastic joke).
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Do we think that, to make a tulpa, the person it's based off of needs to be living?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I love this scene. Lynch at his comedic best! A full one minute pause in the narration.

"Dougie, let me get this straight . . ."
Mitchum Ride 1.jpg
Mitchum Ride 1.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
"Wait, wait, wait. I want to hear this too. . ."
Mitchum Ride 2.jpg
Mitchum Ride 2.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
"Candy, where's my Bloody Mary"?
Mitchum Ride 3.jpg
Mitchum Ride 3.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
<Sloooow delvery of Bloody Mary>
Mitchum Ride 4.jpg
Mitchum Ride 4.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
Mitchum Ride 5.jpg
Mitchum Ride 5.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Slurp . . .
Mitchum Ride 6.jpg
Mitchum Ride 6.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
Time passes . . .
Mitchum Ride 7.jpg
Mitchum Ride 7.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
Tch . . . Ahhh!
Mitchum Ride 8.jpg
Mitchum Ride 8.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
"OK."
Mitchum Ride 9.jpg
Mitchum Ride 9.jpg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Rik Renault »

cgs027 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Do we think the coordinates where Richard died were the two matching or other one? Like did he send him to the non-matching one and lie to him about it because he thought it might be a trap?

And who are the three people that sent him coordinates? Who sent the two matching set vs. the other set? Did Diane ever sent him any as far as we know before this episode? And did Diane send Mr. C the "right" or "wrong" coordinates in this episode?

Also, Diane was manufactured by Evil Cooper we assume, right? Based on Phillip Gerard's comment, he did it without him? But Cooper needs Gerard's help and hair to make one?

And what do we make of Mr. C's comment about him being only 25 years older than Richard? Is he only counting his "years on Earth"?
I took it to mean the 3 coordinates came from: Diane (via text), Ray (via paper in his pocket), and Jefferies (via smoke signals). Still not sure who I think had the "correct" ones vs the ones that were meant to fry him...
My guess is that Jeffries' were the non-matching ones (which is actually where Cooper and Richard went to) due to his connection with electricity and his seeming positioning of 'against Cooper somehow'. Ray had no reason to lie and Diane was working with Coop, so I'd guess that theirs were real. I'm confused by what happened with Diane and the numbers she sent to Coop this episode, they did seem similar to the real coordinates leading to TP but has anyone checked them against the coordinates weve previously seen or check out where they do lead?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

cgs027 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Do we think the coordinates where Richard died were the two matching or other one? Like did he send him to the non-matching one and lie to him about it because he thought it might be a trap?

And who are the three people that sent him coordinates? Who sent the two matching set vs. the other set? Did Diane ever sent him any as far as we know before this episode? And did Diane send Mr. C the "right" or "wrong" coordinates in this episode?

Also, Diane was manufactured by Evil Cooper we assume, right? Based on Phillip Gerard's comment, he did it without him? But Cooper needs Gerard's help and hair to make one?

And what do we make of Mr. C's comment about him being only 25 years older than Richard? Is he only counting his "years on Earth"?
I took it to mean the 3 coordinates came from: Diane (via text), Ray (via paper in his pocket), and Jefferies (via smoke signals). Still not sure who I think had the "correct" ones vs the ones that were meant to fry him...
My guess is that Jeffries' were the non-matching ones (which is actually where Cooper and Richard went to) due to his connection with electricity and his seeming positioning of 'against Cooper somehow'. Ray had no reason to lie and Diane was working with Coop, so I'd guess that theirs were real. I'm confused by what happened with Diane and the numbers she sent to Coop this episode, they did seem similar to the real coordinates leading to TP but has anyone checked them against the coordinates weve previously seen or check out where they do lead?

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Rik Renault wrote:
cgs027 wrote:

Yeah they are identical to the ones on Ruth's arm, which makes me think Diane never sent him coordinates before this episode. If that's the case, why didn't she when we know she had them? Was she only under his control when she received his texts because of the electricity? And all other times she was moral and upstanding? Not sure how to take any of this.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Hutch: "You hear that bird this morning?"
Chantal: "Sure as shit did."

Thoughts? Owl?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

ThumbsUp wrote:Hutch: "You hear that bird this morning?"

Thoughts? Owl?
I think it was a woodpecker foreshadowing the automatic pistol which does them in. :D
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Ross wrote:Not really sure we can say the Mitchum Bros have "Hearts of Gold". Pretty sure they are still murderers, and were definitely planning to Kill Dougie...
I have had more & more reservations about the hearts-of-gold madness the more I think about it, how it seems to have overlooked some glaring exceptions of the brothers' -- but I've hoped to wait til the end & see how it plays out before I decide for sure. Even from Cooper's own words, would it be so out of character for the Coop we once knew to utter one thing while having a reversal-plan of action in mind that contradicts what was said?
So here's a possbility now that I've thought about Cooper's weird endorsement of the Mitchums:

Isn't Cooper just going on what he knows? He doesn't know about how the Mitchums beat their floor manager (and presumably others). He didn't know how they obsessed over killing him. He doesn't know about how many countless others they've killed before. Though he did see them pull a gun on Dougie in the cherry pie encounter, he doesn't really know much about them beyond that.

So if that's the case, unfortunately Coop's character judgment takes a bit of a hit. But he just got out of the lodge, so maybe he gets a bit of slack.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Deep Thought wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Hutch: "You hear that bird this morning?"

Thoughts? Owl?
I think it was a woodpecker foreshadowing the automatic pistol which does them in. :D
Heh. Loved that whole sequence.

Another question...

MIght Good Coop have manufactured the Diane tulpa? He obviously knows what tulpas are and how to make them. And Diane seemed like "herself" when she muttered "Coop" and "I hope this works" when she sent Mr. C the coordinates.

Setting a trap? (Sorry if this was previously discussed.)
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

ThumbsUp wrote:Do we think that, to make a tulpa, the person it's based off of needs to be living?
Seems to be the case, but I doubt that will ever get explained in any specific way (and that's probably for the best. Not so interested in some how-to-make-tulpa sequence).

But what is interesting here is the question of how much the "source" ends up shaping what the tulpa ends up like. So does this "new" Dougie being made from good Cooper turn out to be a better person than the old (gambling, womanizing, incompetent, negligent) Dougie presumably made from DoppelCoop? If so, then Janey-E really traded up. Good deal for her.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Another question...

MIght Good Coop have manufactured the Diane tulpa? He obviously knows what tulpas are and how to make them. And Diane seemed like "herself" when she muttered "Coop" and "I hope this works" when she sent Mr. C the coordinates.

That's a good question. I was definitely confused by that comment of Diane's. I partly think that it reflects some kind of internal split or struggle in the Diane tulpa, where the good Diane (or that side of her) is asserting itself. I mean there has to be some reason why the Diane tulpa was compelled to confess all this stuff to Gordon, Albert, and Tammy. If she was just some programmed tulpa drone, she would have just shot them all up, no?

But there IS a possibility that some other plan was at work here.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

ThumbsUp wrote:MIght Good Coop have manufactured the Diane tulpa? He obviously knows what tulpas are and how to make them. And Diane seemed like "herself" when she muttered "Coop" and "I hope this works" when she sent Mr. C the coordinates.

I think there is something to this, as it seems probable that Daine was "talking" to good Coop there at the bar, "I hope this works." Mr. C seems to think (and indeed he is correct) that the Diane Tulpa is his, so my guess is that Coop or his frieds fiddled with her somehow while he was in the lodge.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

We'll find out (maybe), but it could be that Richard was sent through an "electrical outlet" and is in the lodge. The look on Mr. C's face seems to me like, "darn, this is a dead end." In other words, it was a trap (or permanent portal) that would return him to the lodge.