Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:so I did some quick Googling and realized that the tulpa thing (like most religious/quasi-religious concepts) is much more complex/nuanced than the cliff notes version. It seems a tulpa doesn't have to be a version of yourself, but can also be an entirely other individual created through thought.
yes, this is my understanding of what i read on the Tulpa concept before this series as well.. there's at least one X-Files episode that explores the Tulpa concept..
A tulpa is a thought form which, once someone keeps thinking about it and exerts their will to imagine it in more and more detail, somehow takes life and becomes a physical reality. A tulpa will behave as though it is the real entity it is based on, if any; it can walk, talk, interact with physical objects and so on.

However being a soulless construct somewhat similar to a golem, ultimately all tulpas begin to malfunction or become violent and malevolent.
There's some really interesting discussion of these things here: https://savageminds.org/2016/02/13/para ... in-common/

Incidentally, I started a thread for discussing just these things: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3783
thanks, i'll check it out
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

claaa7 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:so I did some quick Googling and realized that the tulpa thing (like most religious/quasi-religious concepts) is much more complex/nuanced than the cliff notes version. It seems a tulpa doesn't have to be a version of yourself, but can also be an entirely other individual created through thought.
yes, this is my understanding of what i read on the Tulpa concept before this series as well.. there's at least one X-Files episode that explores the Tulpa concept..
A tulpa is a thought form which, once someone keeps thinking about it and exerts their will to imagine it in more and more detail, somehow takes life and becomes a physical reality. A tulpa will behave as though it is the real entity it is based on, if any; it can walk, talk, interact with physical objects and so on.

However being a soulless construct somewhat similar to a golem, ultimately all tulpas begin to malfunction or become violent and malevolent.
See, now this calls into question the assumption the tulpa Coop asked for would be sent to Janey-E, then. If they always go wrong, and the two tulpas we've seen so far have both gone wrong, fallen to substance abuse and sabotaging personal relationships, then it'd be unlike Dale to send one to that family.

Also goes against the theory that Dale created Dougie in the first place, which I doubt anyway b/c TOAM told him he was tricked back in Part 4.

However, I can see him making use of a tulpa as a way to throw the Doppelganger's plans off-course. More and more I think that's what its for.
Olivias

Post by Olivias »

I have my thoughts, hopes and theories for tonight's finale. I've gone over the actor's on the cast list, who have yet to appear, along with the promo trailer scenes that are still left trying to fit the pieces together. Finally Cooper is on his way back to Twin Peaks and the anticipation is crazy! I'm ready...I think...thank you fellow Twin Peaks fans for keeping me sane...
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Doing the Showtime rewatch and on Mr. C police file, Cooper's DOB is 8/15/1973! I guess Cooper was de-aged more than we realized haha. So he was 15 when he was investigating Laura's murder? :mrgreen:
Jack

Post by Jack »

apologies if this has been answered, but how long are the run times for tonight's parts?
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Jack wrote:apologies if this has been answered, but how long are the run times for tonight's parts?
Episode 17 is 57 minutes according to NowTV (that makes it the joint longest episode so far). No information for part 18 on the NowTV schedule.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Hey, this is cool:
I somehow have this feeling that I am going to very much enjoy the 2 hour
season finale on the 10th. It will be afterwards that I will long for many
more episodes and adventures in our fav northwest mill town. It will only be
after the 10th that it will hit me just how good an interesting a show this
has been (although I already have that feeling and have for more than a year).
It is the old saying you never appreciate something as much as you should
until it is gone. I hope Peaks will return in some form. What is the
current status of the show going on as is in syndication or cable or of
a big screen movie. I just gotta have more Peaks after the 10th.

Todd

PS I also gotta point out how great reading the net has been for the 10
months or so I have been into it. It has really made my experience much
better and I hope I can continue reading your many interesting quips in
the future.
This was posted on alt.tv.twin-peaks just before the S2 finale, on June 10, 1991.

It's cool to read the same sentiments we have today, and to see it through the lens of today's Internet.

Seems apropos. Enjoy the show, everybody!

Source: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!sea ... XKpnQ8eaTw
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Doing the Showtime rewatch and on Mr. C police file, Cooper's DOB is 8/15/1973! I guess Cooper was de-aged more than we realized haha. So he was 15 when he was investigating Laura's murder? :mrgreen:
He was a very smart boy. And I guess the spin was Audrey was too old for him... because SHE would be breaking the law.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

mtwentz wrote:So is today the day we find out if Red is real or just a figment of Richard's/Shelly's imaginations?
I don't think I've heard this theory. How could he be a figment of two different people's imagination? I'm pretty sure that Bobby, and possibly Becky, reacted to Red showing up at the Double R.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Olivias wrote:I have my thoughts, hopes and theories for tonight's finale. I've gone over the actor's on the cast list, who have yet to appear, along with the promo trailer scenes that are still left trying to fit the pieces together. Finally Cooper is on his way back to Twin Peaks and the anticipation is crazy! I'm ready...I think...thank you fellow Twin Peaks fans for keeping me sane...
It's hard, waiting...
thewoodsman'slight

Post by thewoodsman'slight »

Every week I come on this forum a little later than I'd like & attempt to catch up so I can process all that's been said & maybe throw in my two penn'orth about that week's episode, & I always get to the end of the thread just as the new episode airs. This week I don't stand a hope of catching up, so before all this is over & that ship has sailed, I just want to say how totally blown away I have been by TP:TR, it's already surpassed my expectations. Even if it all goes tits up in the last 2 episodes (unlikely, I'm quietly optimistic) we still have 16 episodes of Twin Peaks more than I ever thought I would have that have surpassed all anticipation. And I am loving how we all get to play detective, & reading your thoughts, theories, speculations & interpretations, & it's enriched the whole experience cos there's so much I would've missed if you all hadn't been there pointing it out for me.

I was in my teenage years when the original series came out & watched it with my mum, a few years back I recommended it to my teenage daughter & she loved it, now were sharing watching TP:TR together & it's joyous. It's been an experience & it feels a bit unique in TV (as the original was too) & more than a lot awesome. It's been a fucking blast.

So I'm savouring my last few hours of speculating on what will happen in the final episodes. Are the Mitchum brothers & the Candie girls all lodge creations with "hearts of gold". & Janey-E is the possible sister of a Tulpa & the name Sonny Jim references the character of a child that doesn't actually exist (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf), so could they all be a construct designed to guide Cooper safely back to reality, thwarting Doppelcoop at ever turn?

Will Audrey wake up/return from her purgatory with that annoying git Charlie to find herself surrounded by a loving husband & children?

Might Red renounce a life of crime for one of conjouring?

Did the leaky pipe at the Truman's house ever get fixed?

Will that Woodsman ever get a light?

So much we may never know but I hope a few of the mysteries don't go unsolved (what's going on with scary Sarah, for example). I guess I hope we get some mystery left to discuss, but some closure too, so I don't lie awake every night for another 25 years wondering what's become of Dale Cooper.

I don't want it to be over, but all good things must come to a close, so this seems very apt...

A Dream Within a Dream

BY EDGAR ALLAN POE

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow —
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand —
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep — while I weep!
O God! Can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

P.S. What with all the timeline shenanigans this season, if they do get a season 4, maybe it'll just start from the same point this one did & have a totally different set of events unfold that ultimately bring Cooper back to Twin Peaks, kinda like, " And that's what might have happened, but what about this...".
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:This is it. The last night we'll ever sit around speculating about "tomorrow night's episode of Twin Peaks". It's been so great, to a level of seeming unreal, and I'm sad facing the fact that it's ending. Reminds me of when I was much younger and had time to read. Getting to the end of a book is just as hard, because you have to leave the world created within, and the reality formed with it comes to an end.

We'll be moving on soon, and this wonderful ride will be another distant piece of our histories. It's hard to accept because now that Twin Peaks is back, I'm so used to it again, and it's doubtful that I'm alone in that. So very many here appear to have also been in Peaks Mode around the clock since this began airing. That we can be this invested in a story to begin with, almost seems silly when you think about it. But that's why I regard this as art and not entertainment.

Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn't change the fact that seeing this end will be difficult. Weird to think this will likely be the last of it, but then again, we adamantly believed that in the past and were pleasantly surprised. In any case we are so lucky that more Twin Peaks was created. It's been an incredible, one a kind experience.
That's a good summary of how I and many others must feel. I've waited so long for a new Lynch movie. Twin Peaks returning has been a wonderful experience. I'm sure it'll be Lynch's directorial swan song....the ratings don't make a follow up possible. If he really wants to, I'm sure Lynch could get funding for another movie, but I don't think he'll do it. This was the last push.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

A sadness is setting in - this will never ever happen again. But it's been so special.
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Where is all this negativity coming from? I wouldn't write off a Season 4 just yet - all can happen. Let's hope for the best.

Just pre-ordered the OST, releasing on Sept. 8th. Hopefully a Blu-Ray set will turn up soon as well... Then Shwotime will see, what money can be made ;)
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

just pre-ordered the OST, releasing on Sept. 8th. Hopefully a Blu-Ray set will turn up soon as well... Then Shwotime will see, what money can be made ;)
yeah. I think a lot of ppl round the world have downloaded this. And alot of them would buy it in DVD. None of them will be included in the viewing or subscription figures.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''