Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Post by ScarFace32 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Novalis wrote: I wonder if this is taken from an old conversation with Michael J Anderson.

It's a recording of the last conversation they ever had, when DKL was explaining that all the actors besides Kyle are getting scale. :wink:
claaa7 wrote:
Terence wrote:Why was there not just one thread made for part 17 & part 18?
Seeeing as this one is not being made use of.
Basically people will talk about part 17 in the 18 thread bacause of it being the 2 part finale last night.
right now it's certainly easier but if the same system is still used a year from now it will be easier to use separate threads
True, but Parts 3 & 4 share a thread simply because they aired back-to-back, just like the finale. The mods here do a great job, but this feels like a weird inconsistency.
ScarFace32 wrote:It is kind of fucked up that we have to sit through an entire Eddie Vedder song and Julee Cruise is only a few seconds. The FB comments make it seem like there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I feel like maybe some of the wrong people have Lynch's ear? I mean Eddie Vedder? Why the fuck is Eddie Vedder on Twin Peaks. And all those shitty trendy bands

Julee says "He did it to slap me in my face". Does anyone have any insight as to what the story is here?
She had a big falling-out with DKL and Badalamenti because she felt she didn't have enough say-so on the albums -- to put it in MJA's terms, she felt like she was their meat puppet. It seems like she's never quite gotten over this, despite TP making whatever career she has. Look, none of us was there, so it's tough to speak authoritatively. But she's an adult woman capable of making her own career choices. It seems sorta weird for her to say she changed her number to hide from DKL as if he were a creepy ex-boyfriend (despite her highly emotional Gold Box DVD interview talking about making amends with DKL tearfully over the phone in the early 2000s). Ok, so DKL/Sabrina tracked her down. She clearly agreed to do the show, and got paid to show up -- of her own volition, presumably free of coercion -- and lip sync to an old track. Pretty easy day's work. She confessed in the recent interview that was published that she hasn't bothered to watch TR, so her evaluation of how her contribution was used is based on a cold viewing of JUST this Part, with no context.

Sure, I wish we'd gotten a new Lynch/Badalamenti/Cruise song. But we didn't, and she knew that going into it -- and was apparently fine with that (and super proud of her participation lip-syncing to an ancient cut) until she learned that the "performance" was trimmed? That's a little weird.
Thanks for expounding. Sounds like mayve that was the last straw for her especially with NIN and the Chromatics being featured so heavily. Do you think maybe she's right and it's kind of a fuck you from Lynch for her feud
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

I feel sorry that Julee is so upset with how she was utilised in the Return; I thought it was a beautiful end to the part. It's the last 'Roadhouse' performance, it's superimposed over a mysterious forest right before the part 18 mindfuck, & it's a song from the past, from around the time Coop has travelled back to. Worked like a charm for me, I loved it.
Would she (or other viewers) have preferred a transition to "The Roadhouse is proud to present... The Julee Cruise!!" I know I for one wouldn't have. As it stands her song is used in a unique way, giving it an identity outside of the usual Roadhouse acts. Sure, objectively she got less time on-screen compared with almost all the other acts, but the subjective space her performance inhabits far outweighs any objective 'battle for most on-screen minutes', at least for me.
(YMMV, etc)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

ScarFace32 wrote:Do you think maybe she's right and it's kind of a fuck you from Lynch for her feud
Nope.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:It is kind of fucked up that we have to sit through an entire Eddie Vedder song and Julee Cruise is only a few seconds. The FB comments make it seem like there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I feel like maybe some of the wrong people have Lynch's ear? I mean Eddie Vedder? Why the fuck is Eddie Vedder on Twin Peaks. And all those shitty trendy bands

Julee says "He did it to slap me in my face". Does anyone have any insight as to what the story is here?
She had a big falling-out with DKL and Badalamenti because she felt she didn't have enough say-so on the albums -- to put it in MJA's terms, she felt like she was their meat puppet. It seems like she's never quite gotten over this, despite TP making whatever career she has. Look, none of us was there, so it's tough to speak authoritatively. But she's an adult woman capable of making her own career choices. It seems sorta weird for her to say she changed her number to hide from DKL as if he were a creepy ex-boyfriend (despite her highly emotional Gold Box DVD interview talking about making amends with DKL tearfully over the phone in the early 2000s). Ok, so DKL/Sabrina tracked her down. She clearly agreed to do the show, and got paid to show up -- of her own volition, presumably free of coercion -- and lip sync to an old track. Pretty easy day's work. She confessed in the recent interview that was published that she hasn't bothered to watch TR, so her evaluation of how her contribution was used is based on a cold viewing of JUST this Part, with no context.

Sure, I wish we'd gotten a new Lynch/Badalamenti/Cruise song. But we didn't, and she knew that going into it -- and was apparently fine with that (and super proud of her participation lip-syncing to an ancient cut) until she learned that the "performance" was trimmed? That's a little weird.
good points, it's weird to say the least.. and to call her performance SECONDS doesn't seem valid when in fact it's about 2 and half minutes.. i thought that was fine and would rather more acts had been cut down slightly in length.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Saturn's child wrote:I feel sorry that Julee is so upset with how she was utilised in the Return; I thought it was a beautiful end to the part. It's the last 'Roadhouse' performance, it's superimposed over a mysterious forest right before the part 18 mindfuck, & it's a song from the past, from around the time Coop has travelled back to. Worked like a charm for me, I loved it.
Would she (or other viewers) have preferred a transition to "The Roadhouse is proud to present... The Julee Cruise!!" I know I for one wouldn't have. As it stands her song is used in a unique way, giving it an identity outside of the usual Roadhouse acts. Sure, objectively she got less time on-screen compared with almost all the other acts, but the subjective space her performance inhabits far outweighs any objective 'battle for most on-screen minutes', at least for me.
(YMMV, etc)
co-sign
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

N. Needleman wrote:
ScarFace32 wrote:Do you think maybe she's right and it's kind of a fuck you from Lynch for her feud
Nope.
Then why is she taking it as an intentional slap in the face?
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

claaa7 wrote:
Saturn's child wrote:I feel sorry that Julee is so upset with how she was utilised in the Return; I thought it was a beautiful end to the part. It's the last 'Roadhouse' performance, it's superimposed over a mysterious forest right before the part 18 mindfuck, & it's a song from the past, from around the time Coop has travelled back to. Worked like a charm for me, I loved it.
(YMMV, etc)
co-sign
+1.

I loved most of the musical performances, but in my opinion, Julee Cruise's was handled aesthetically the best of all.
I suspect there was some kind of argument during filming. Cruise & Lynch did have a fallout during production of the first two seasons, right? Maybe they just don't get along.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

It just occurred to me, Chad really did get to spend time in the ol' "nuthouse" he made reference to.
Surrounded by chirping woman, drooling mimic, green glove stranger...
Some karma :mrgreen: was doled out to a guy we loved to hate!
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

There was a huge plot mistake in this episode. Chad waits for Drunk to fall asleep, but James and Freddie are right there! Right fucking there! There is no way they didn't see him scape.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

powerleftist wrote:There was a huge plot mistake in this episode. Chad waits for Drunk to fall asleep, but James and Freddie are right there! Right fucking there! There is no way they didn't see him scape.
I somewhat agree with you, but the Drunk's cell was directly across from Chad's, while James & Freddie were somewhat obscured by cells in between, in the same row. From memory, he keeps a watchful eye on them as they watch Naido. But yeah, like I said, somewhat agreed. :)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

ScarFace32 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Nope.
Then why is she taking it as an intentional slap in the face?
Because Julee Cruise is eccentric and had an unrealistic expectation for her screen time.

I know what you'll say: 'but Eddie Vedder!' I don't care. This is the finale, she should have expected to be cut down, as several were before. The point is her placement was very important to Lynch. Same as Sheryl Lee. It's not the airtime, it's the significance.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

part 17 came with one of the funniest exchanges in The Return:

"he shocked himself by sticking a fork in an electrical socket"
[Albert looks around] "that's strange even for Cooper"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

This has probably been covered by now but I think we now know that when Dougie was staring at the statue and pulling his sleeve over his fist, we are foreshadowing the character of Freddie.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

claaa7 wrote:part 17 came with one of the funniest exchanges in The Return:

"he shocked himself by sticking a fork in an electrical socket"
[Albert looks around] "that's strange even for Cooper"
I had been hoping for a joke like that about Cooper from Albert and was not disappointed.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

was anyone else truly cheering for VolleyBOB to rip Green Glove Fuck apart?? i was praying he would die a brutal death in that scene