Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Post by dronerstone »

TwinsPeak wrote:
I'm pretty sure in the woods is new footage with Sheryl Lee in a wig dressed as young Laura.
I thought that was Francesca Eastwood, but due to the b/w and dim lighting I can't be sure...
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

when dopplecoop arrived at the sheriff's station, i thought andy was a goner.
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

asmahan wrote:
squealy wrote:I can't believe they didn't write Julee a new song to sing.

All the questions that arose later dwarfed this question in my mind but still... why was something as important as the destruction of Bob (if that's what we saw) placed in the hands of a character we barely knew?
I feel like Freddie's destiny involved fending off BOB (I don't think he was truly destroyed) thus saving the lives of everyone in the station.
Well yes... but my point was, why did they use this character we barely saw? Why not give James the glove for example?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Really sweet send-off for Jack Nance and the Pete character. For all Pete talked about fishing on the original series, I don't recall him ever actually doing it. It's like Laura's death prevented him from fishing for a whole month until the bank explosion.

I'm also super-impressed by the Freddy/BOB fight scene. Lynch did a great job of re-using the original Frank Silva footage in new and creative ways.
kylie

Post by kylie »

TwinsPeak wrote:
asmahan wrote:The repeated Fire Walk With Me scene broke my heart all over again, but even harder if possible.
How the hell did Lynch do the young Laura following coop scenes? CGI? Fucking insane.
I'm pretty sure in the woods is new footage with Sheryl Lee in a wig dressed as young Laura.
It looked to me like Sheryl Lee in a wig. That's why we only saw her at distances, odd angles and in very dim lighting.

Just noticed on rewatch that Coop's lapel pin reappears when he, Diane and Cole are walking toward the door containing the noise. He hadn't been wearing it prior.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

TwinsPeak wrote:I'm pretty sure in the woods is new footage with Sheryl Lee in a wig dressed as young Laura.
That's what I was seeing, Sheryl Lee. As someone else posted: low light and shadows, why not have Lee in wig so it's her voice we're hearing.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

The old footage coming into play with the new footage and changing the meaning of the old footage was beautiful in my opinion. episodes 17 and 18 were my fav of the whole Return. Not sure I liked the whole guy with the glove stuff tho. And someone else mentioned this, why not just put the glove on James.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

One small gripe that's nagging me--Hawk seemed utterly left out of the action? He was the focus of so much of the early plot with all the wisdom from Margaret, but his only role here is to accept Coop's statement that "Things will be different"?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

TwinsPeak wrote:The old footage coming into play with the new footage and changing the meaning of the old footage was beautiful in my opinion. episodes 17 and 18 were my fav of the whole Return. Not sure I liked the whole guy with the glove stuff tho. And someone else mentioned this, why not just put the glove on James.
Lynch could've done it that way of course, but I suppose he wanted the Lodge entities to work internationally and summon a "saviour" from good old Europe, haha! :)
Hence he made sure to put it in the script how Freddie can't actually take it off and it's become a part of his arm. ;)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Wow, why is Julee Cruise so upset at David and Sabrina Sutherland?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Wow, why is Julee Cruise so upset at David and Sabrina Sutherland?
what does this mean? why not post or quote what you're talking about if you are going to mention it? thanks
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

episode 17 was very strange to watch for me.. i absolutely loved the first part of it, everything with Cooper and Bad Cooper coming to Twin Peaks and the sherrif's office, Andy warning Lucy, Chad's escape, even Mister C entering the Fireman's place to be transported to Twin Peaks (which would have looked so much better wihtout the distracting Major Briggs jpg LOL), and just as the Woodsmen came out of the woodworks to the slowed down music I thought out "DAMN; I am in love with this series and this episode"...

then it happened.. a giant BOB orb rises out of Cooper and starts attacking Green Glove guy like a big bad boss on some classic Nintendo game play. so DAMN BAD!!!! BOB, the threat that embodied the rotten underbelly of Twin Peaks and manifested itself both psychologically and physically while hinting at a more explicit mythology, is defeated by Green Glove guy with a few super punches like this is a Uve Boll movie. FFS!!! and it was built up so fucking beautiful too!! GOD DAMN!!!! and the revelation of Naidoo to be Diane was equally wack... i felt hurt by this BS, this would've been bad writing for Buffy The Vampire Slayer - let alone Twin Peaks, smh.

after that long ass scene i for sure had a bad taste in my mouth which was rather hard to let go off, but as the episode(s) progressed i was able to swallow it and follow on to episode 18.. the FWWM stuff was really damn cool, alternative takes from the movie mixed with what we've seen plus new stuff. and an actress that looked a whole damn lot like Sheryl Lee (probably with the help of digital manipulation). it's quite amazing how well Lynch been able to blend scenes from FWWM with the look of the new series. beautiful thing that we got to see so much of the woods at night :D
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

it was also very disappointing how easily disposed MIster C was when it actually came down to it. a bullet from Lucy and the Green Glove fuck hitting Monster BOB a few times and it's bye bye. yeah, good writing there Mr. Frost and Mr. Lynch ;)
kylie

Post by kylie »

Watching a third time. Coop's note to Cole as read by Bushnell Mullins says "It's 2:53 in Las Vegas..." But then after all the action at the TP sheriff's station, they show the clock and it continually resets to 2:53.

Vegas and TP are in the same time zone, so it seems no time elapsed, further supporting that it was not real.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Cappy wrote:Really sweet send-off for Jack Nance and the Pete character. For all Pete talked about fishing on the original series, I don't recall him ever actually doing it. It's like Laura's death prevented him from fishing for a whole month until the bank explosion.

I'm also super-impressed by the Freddy/BOB fight scene. Lynch did a great job of re-using the original Frank Silva footage in new and creative ways.
Somebody forgot about the 12 rainbow trout! :D