Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

N. Needleman wrote:I get how she feels, but I don't think she can fault the performance in the finale for being cut down. Cruise has always been a little bonkers.
need to replace "cruise" with "lynch" and i totally agree
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

rugerblackhawk357 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I get how she feels, but I don't think she can fault the performance in the finale for being cut down. Cruise has always been a little bonkers.
need to replace "cruise" with "lynch" and i totally agree
They're both bonkers.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

I'm fighting the urge to belittle Julee Cruise (and losing). I can't speak for what her on-set experiences were, but, you know, who ever heard of her before Twin Peaks or ever thought about her once in the intervening 25 years? Lynch wasn't the greatest thing to happen to her career by a factor of infinity? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Why was Diane even there? (Maybe this links back to the romance discussion earlier.) It's like - Coop escapes the Lodge with help from Naido/Diane, then they decide to time travel via the Great Northern to save Laura. Why does she go with him? Does he need her?

The sex scene is not romantic and seems very mechanical.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Now that we've seen The Return, I have to say, I can understand why some involved with Twin Peaks would feel hurt or disappointed. Seems many of them are on the eccentric side which doesn't help.
TimeLife

Post by TimeLife »

sewhite2000 wrote:I'm fighting the urge to belittle Julee Cruise (and losing). I can't speak for what her on-set experiences were, but, you know, who ever heard of her before Twin Peaks or ever thought about her once in the intervening 25 years? Lynch wasn't the greatest thing to happen to her career by a factor of infinity? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you?
Ever since I saw her interview in the Gold Box DVD set, I've always had the impression she's got some emotional issues, to put it mildly. She seems like she's a tough cookie to deal with, again, to put it mildly.

Couple that with the fact that like 98% of the people who work with Lynch sing his praises, I'm guessing any issues Cruise has is colored by the fact that she has those aforementioned issues/tough cookie-ness.

Nonetheless, I loved the "World Spins" callback performance at the end of Part 17.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:What was his stated objective for the return?
Closure, not leaving us all hanging like episode 29. But he may have been fibbing.
Are we talking about Lynch? If so, where did he say this? It doesn't sound like something he'd say.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

sewhite2000 wrote:I'm fighting the urge to belittle Julee Cruise (and losing). I can't speak for what her on-set experiences were, but, you know, who ever heard of her before Twin Peaks or ever thought about her once in the intervening 25 years? Lynch wasn't the greatest thing to happen to her career by a factor of infinity? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you?
i miss 1989. btw twin peaks is stupid
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

ThumbsUp wrote:Why was Diane even there? (Maybe this links back to the romance discussion earlier.) It's like - Coop escapes the Lodge with help from Naido/Diane, then they decide to time travel via the Great Northern to save Laura. Why does she go with him? Does he need her?

I think Diane was the weakest part to me. Why was she suddenly such a crucial character? Their relationship was so strange. It makes me more frustrated than curious the more I think about it.
TimeLife

Post by TimeLife »

Esquire quickly published an interview with Kyle shortly after Part 18 aired on the east coast:
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv ... interview/

A standout quote from this article, I feel, really applies to what Parts 17 and 18 were about from Lynch's perspective:
"I don't think David feels compelled to resolve everything by any means, maybe because of the idea that it's ongoing and we'll pick it back up if we have to," he says, pointing to the differences in the way Lynch and Frost attack the material.

I think this points to why stories such as Shelly and Red; Becky and her drug problem; even the new Renault in the Roadhouse with his pimping out 15-year-old girls...all these things are ongoing with no resolution because in real life, sometimes bad stuff does not get resolved and it's ongoing.

Yes, from a TV narrative standpoint, this is problematic, especially to a viewing audience. But like Kyle says in the article, that's Lynch's way, and it's not necessarily Frost's...perhaps, this is why he wrote "The Final Dossier"? To attempt to give some closure to things Lynch refused to do in the series?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

nonemoreblack wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Why was Diane even there? (Maybe this links back to the romance discussion earlier.) It's like - Coop escapes the Lodge with help from Naido/Diane, then they decide to time travel via the Great Northern to save Laura. Why does she go with him? Does he need her?

I think Diane was the weakest part to me. Why was she suddenly such a crucial character? Their relationship was so strange. It makes me more frustrated than curious the more I think about it.
Audrey's thread fascinated me, but I would've loved to see her in Diane's place story-wise this season, especially since their threads mirrored each other so much already. Keep her as Richard's mom but make her Linda to be by Coop's side, etc.

I liked Diane as a character and Laura Dern was phenomenal, but her going with Coop on the metaphysical time-traveling trial of truth was weird.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Diane massaging Coop's face while they had sex seemed very familiar eh? After that, everything changes. New car, new hotel room.

I think.

It's now future.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Audrey in Diane's place would've been beyond heartbreaking. Maybe too much for people to take.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Really interesting way to finish the series.Overall i really enjoyed the return,i mean,once in my life i thought we would never get another TP series. I was really hoping when we saw Laura whisper into Coopers ear,we were going to get some sort of explanation of what had just happened in this episode, similar to when we heard her whisper that "her father killed her" back in season 2.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My thoughts on pt. 17 & pt. 18: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/09/ ... -past.html

I loved it and was a bit surprised to see some pretty vehement backlash on Twitter. Granted, my initial thought as the credits rolled was "This is gonna make some people very angry," but I immediately started to change my mind because I've been consistently surprised by how positive people were about some of The Return's wiggiest moments. I guess when it's the ending it feels a little different though...

I *loved* how Lynch foregrounded FWWM, playing an entire scene more or less. I don't think I've ever seen old footage used quite like that. As if he was just placing it in an entirely new context, fiddling around with it and integrating it in a way beyond just like "Here's a clip, inserted in the midst of new footage." Silly comparison, but it was almost like how Back to the Future Pt. II revisited scenes from Back to the Future, but 25 years apart instead of just 4 (plus I think they reshot a lot of the stuff in BttF to make it work). Just really, really cool. (Granted this is more pt. 17 territory, sorry if it feels OT for this thread.)