Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by krishnanspace »

I didn't like that they used cheap Cgi for the Bob fight. Bob is a menacing and scary character. The fight between Freddy and Bob felt very cartoonist. It was like watching an episode of Tom and Jerry.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

N. Needleman wrote:Audrey in Diane's place would've been beyond heartbreaking. Maybe too much for people to take.
but why not? that would have been better than this mess. give me tv that breaks my heart and makes me love it. not tv that just breaks my heart. btw, twin peaks is stupid
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

krishnanspace wrote:I didn't like that they used cheap Cgi for the Bob fight. Bob is a menacing and scary character. The fight between Freddy and Bob felt very cartoonist. It was like watching an episode of Tom and Jerry.
And Freddy declaring "this is my destiny" was one of those moments where I wasn't sure if TP was making fun of melodrama or actually being cheesy.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

I think I would have been fine with Freddy if his role was just to take out Chad. But the fight against the BOB orb was too much for me.
LostInTheMovies wrote:My thoughts on pt. 17 & pt. 18: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/09/ ... -past.html
Silly comparison, but it was almost like how Back to the Future Pt. II revisited scenes from Back to the Future, but 25 years apart instead of just 4 (plus I think they reshot a lot of the stuff in BttF to make it work). Just really, really cool.
Hah! I had the exact same thought while I was watching the episode.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

rugerblackhawk357 wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Audrey in Diane's place would've been beyond heartbreaking. Maybe too much for people to take.
but why not? that would have been better than this mess. give me tv that breaks my heart and makes me love it. not tv that just breaks my heart.
Did this not?

Sign me up for another Freddie orb fight btw - loved it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I *loved* how Lynch foregrounded FWWM, playing an entire scene more or less. I don't think I've ever seen old footage used quite like that. As if he was just placing it in an entirely new context, fiddling around with it and integrating it in a way beyond just like "Here's a clip, inserted in the midst of new footage." Silly comparison, but it was almost like how Back to the Future Pt. II revisited scenes from Back to the Future, but 25 years apart instead of just 4 (plus I think they reshot a lot of the stuff in BttF to make it work). Just really, really cool. (Granted this is more pt. 17 territory, sorry if it feels OT for this thread.)
And Coop was the reason for her scream!!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

It broke my heart in a way that I love.

It's devastating to know that there are realities out there where Laura is doomed to be reborn and remember her past from another life, because Cooper is trying to save her in EVERY reality out of the goodness of his heart and doesn't realize what's happening.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

N. Needleman wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I *loved* how Lynch foregrounded FWWM, playing an entire scene more or less. I don't think I've ever seen old footage used quite like that. As if he was just placing it in an entirely new context, fiddling around with it and integrating it in a way beyond just like "Here's a clip, inserted in the midst of new footage." Silly comparison, but it was almost like how Back to the Future Pt. II revisited scenes from Back to the Future, but 25 years apart instead of just 4 (plus I think they reshot a lot of the stuff in BttF to make it work). Just really, really cool. (Granted this is more pt. 17 territory, sorry if it feels OT for this thread.)
Wasn't the reason for her scream that she heard Sarah Palmer's call out to "Laura", which was used in the pilot episode?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Cooper: "What year is this?"

close-up POV: a registaration sticker w/ "03" on it.

;)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Wasn't the reason for her scream that she heard Sarah Palmer's call out to "Laura", which was used in the pilot episode?
I meant her sudden scream at nothing in the woods, in the repeated scene with James from FWWM. Tonight she is shown to have glimpsed Cooper.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:It broke my heart in a way that I love.

It's devastating to know that there are realities out there where Laura is doomed to be reborn and remember her past from another life, because Cooper is trying to save her in EVERY reality out of the goodness of his heart and doesn't realize what's happening.
Bingo, same. It also upset me (in a good way) thinking about how beloved or iconic characters in this universe can easily be flipped upside down and completely subvert our expectations and disorient us and make them feel like strangers to us: e.g., Dougie, Carrie, Mr. C. Tulpas and doppelgangers... or even Diane (finally putting a face to our imagined expectations of 25 years) and Audrey (her situation lost on us and herself). One could argue this thematic groundwork was being laid back as far as Maddy.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

ThumbsUp wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Why was Diane even there? (Maybe this links back to the romance discussion earlier.) It's like - Coop escapes the Lodge with help from Naido/Diane, then they decide to time travel via the Great Northern to save Laura. Why does she go with him? Does he need her?

The sex scene is not romantic and seems very mechanical.
I think Diane was the weakest part to me. Why was she suddenly such a crucial character? Their relationship was so strange. It makes me more frustrated than curious the more I think about it.
Audrey's thread fascinated me, but I would've loved to see her in Diane's place story-wise this season, especially since their threads mirrored each other so much already. Keep her as Richard's mom but make her Linda to be by Coop's side, etc.

I liked Diane as a character and Laura Dern was phenomenal, but her going with Coop on the metaphysical time-traveling trial of truth was weird.
Yes me too. It would've given these last episodes the emotional weight they needed. Cooper's close relationships with characters such as Audrey and Harry were like the heart of the show, so the fact that The Return had none of that made it difficult to care sometimes. At the same time, I agree with Needleman that it would've been heartbreaking to see Audrey in that position, and her storyline does have its own intrigue. As you say, there was no love in that sex scene, and then they leave each other. I was hoping at the least they'd continue with the Diane/Audrey parallel as part of the conclusion.

I'm wondering if maybe they were trying to connect with that memory of Diane being raped by Mr. C. Diane and Audrey both went through similar experiences which involve alternate realities/time loops, and that was when Diane's tulpa was made. Perhaps whatever Mr. C did to Diane is related to how Cooper and Diane were able to cross over?? Does that make sense?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

N. Needleman wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
I meant her sudden scream at nothing in the woods, in the repeated scene with James from FWWM. Tonight she is shown to have glimpsed Cooper.
Ofc this raises interesting question: if she was seeing Cooper in the version we saw in FWWM, how does that fit in w/ the rest of FWWM?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So was Laura's death undone in the original timeline? Or did that not really take?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

nonemoreblack wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:
I think Diane was the weakest part to me. Why was she suddenly such a crucial character? Their relationship was so strange. It makes me more frustrated than curious the more I think about it.
Audrey's thread fascinated me, but I would've loved to see her in Diane's place story-wise this season, especially since their threads mirrored each other so much already. Keep her as Richard's mom but make her Linda to be by Coop's side, etc.

I liked Diane as a character and Laura Dern was phenomenal, but her going with Coop on the metaphysical time-traveling trial of truth was weird.
Yes me too. It would've given these last episodes the emotional weight they needed. Cooper's close relationships with characters such as Audrey and Harry were like the heart of the show, so the fact that The Return had none of that made it difficult to care sometimes. At the same time, I agree with Needleman that it would've been heartbreaking to see Audrey in that position, and her storyline does have its own intrigue. As you say, there was no love in that sex scene, and then they leave each other. I was hoping at the least they'd continue with the Diane/Audrey parallel as part of the conclusion.

I'm wondering if maybe they were trying to connect with that memory of Diane being raped by Mr. C. Diane and Audrey both went through similar experiences which involve alternate realities/time loops, and that was when Diane's tulpa was made. Perhaps whatever Mr. C did to Diane is related to how Cooper and Diane were able to cross over?? Does that make sense?
I thought Diane made the most sense as Cooper's companion in these other realms. For several reasons, one of which: she was literally dressed/made up like a walking Red Room! (I mean, sure Audrey could be too theoretically but Diane was already established as having wild costumes.)