Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Ross wrote:So was Laura's death undone in the original timeline? Or did that not really take?
Same question. I think a lot of people assumed her existence was undone altogether. It does seem odd to spend that much time dwelling on the alternate reality of her not being dead only to then say "but then she was anyway" or something, right?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

"Psychotic FBI agent tries to solve teenage girl murder case, falls into 25 years of coma, wakes up, kidnaps Odessa woman, takes her to random Washington area house and leaves her screaming for help in the street at night."

Joking, yup.

I really enjoyed the whole ride, but am unclear what to make of that ending yet. Classic Lynch!

A part of me was really hoping for a peaceful ending and some more wraps, on the other hand it's good to see they didn't take the easy way out...
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Ross wrote:So was Laura's death undone in the original timeline? Or did that not really take?
Same question. I think a lot of people assumed her existence was undone altogether. It does seem odd to spend that much time dwelling on the alternate reality of her not being dead only to then say "but then she was anyway" or something, right?
Who was Carrie? The saved Laura grown up but robbed of her memories somehow? A tulpa?
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I wonder about this too. It seems we now have no idea about that or anything else that ever happened in Twin Peaks.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I *loved* how Lynch foregrounded FWWM, playing an entire scene more or less. I don't think I've ever seen old footage used quite like that. As if he was just placing it in an entirely new context, fiddling around with it and integrating it in a way beyond just like "Here's a clip, inserted in the midst of new footage." Silly comparison, but it was almost like how Back to the Future Pt. II revisited scenes from Back to the Future, but 25 years apart instead of just 4 (plus I think they reshot a lot of the stuff in BttF to make it work). Just really, really cool. (Granted this is more pt. 17 territory, sorry if it feels OT for this thread.)
And Coop was the reason for her scream!!
Wasn't the reason for her scream that she heard Sarah Palmer's call out to "Laura", which was used in the pilot episode?
I think we're talking about two different screams. She screamed in the recycled FWWM footage, which we now learned was because she saw Cooper, and then of course, she screamed in front of the "Palmer" house at the very end.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Cooper: "What year is this?"

close-up POV: a registaration sticker w/ "03" on it.

;)
Ha ha ha. My getting so frustrated at people wanting to see alternate timelines in every storyline seems less justified now.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

sewhite2000 wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Cooper: "What year is this?"

close-up POV: a registaration sticker w/ "03" on it.

;)
Ha ha ha. My getting so frustrated at people wanting to see alternate timelines in every storyline seems less justified now.
(However, Hawk at Glastonbury Grove did NOT prove to be a flash-forward to the very last scene of the season!)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Totally. I'm guessing she really was dead tho? Or else why does Coop need to cross over into another reality to find Carrie? When there would just be an older Laura in our reality.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

As with just about everything with Lynch, I don't think we have a satisfying, concrete answer to this. It initially seemed to take, what with Laura being prevented from ever meeting with Leo, Jacques and Ronnette and subsequently her body never appearing wrapped in plastic to be discovered by Pete. Then we see the rage of what I presume was Judy-possessed-Sarah. I thought this would have been an amazing ending to the series. But Laura disappears before Dale can ever get her to the White Lodge (I assume that's where he was taking her?) and screams a horrible scream (boy, Laura did a lot of screaming).

It appears that Carrie is Laura, as the house and/or the sound of Sarah's voice finally triggers some sort of memory or visceral reaction within her. In which case, Laura is alive. But does that mean she was never killed? (my head just went poof like Dougie's writing those last two sentences). I don't know. We don't get any interactions at all with anyone else in the version of Twin Peaks we find ourselves in the for the season's final minutes, so we certainly don't learn much about it and how it may be different from the Twin Peaks we thought we knew (except the "Palmer" house has different owners, and the Double R has a different sign).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Ross wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Totally. I'm guessing she really was dead tho? Or else why does Coop need to cross over into another reality to find Carrie? When there would just be an older Laura in our reality.
When I watched the finale it felt like "OK this is, Lynch had 25 years and he still wanted to end on this enigmatic note!" Which I was fine with, though it felt bittersweet. But now discussing it with everyone online I'm starting to almost just knee-jerk assume they're gonna follow up on all this stuff haha.

Hey, I once thought a third season was never gonna happen either, so who knows...
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Ok, so.

Episode 17
-I love Gordon Cole and Albert and Tammy, but the "Judy" explanation was very poorly done and I'm not too fond of the whole idea of Judy being what it is.
-Mr. C getting to the Twin Peaks station before Cooper was fantastic. I really loved him being there.
-I don't like the Cooper and Diane romance at all. Audrey and Annie stuff was way better in the original series.
-I wish I would've seen this episode as a kid so that I wouldn't have been afraid of Bob ever anymore. I predict that whenever I watch Season 1 or 2 or FWWM again I remember the fistfight between the Hulk-arm and Sphere-Bob, and I'm pretty sure that I don't find Bob that menacing anymore, perhaps ever. That said, the scene had some entertaining insanity in it and from certain perspective it was really cool scene.
-I'm not so sure what to think of using so many minutes of the second to last episode of Twin Peaks Season 3 for "flashbacks" from FWWM.
-The mystery of Laura's sudden scream is now ruined. While I wouldn't have ever thought she saw Cooper there I don't think this was that good of an idea at all.
-LOVED that Donna was at least mentioned and Leo was shown even if it was just a FWWM flashback.
-Young CGI Laura looked creepy and I think there was some syncing problems with the voice and her mouth. I really liked to see Laura and Cooper meet in the forest though. Quite impressed they managed to pull it off.
-Nice to see material from the original series. Nice to see Pete, Catherine and Josie. However, that also reminded me on how much I wanted THAT feeling to be in season 3. At least in one episode in one scene. But we never got that.
-The scene with Sarah screaming was terrifying as hell.
-Overall pretty good episode that gave me hope for the last episode.

Episode 18
-I have to say that had this been the first episode or the second episode (with some tweaks of course) it would've been very interesting and I think it would've lead into much better season. This would've been the perfect mystery to begin the season with.
-Opening the episode with the same scene we just saw in the last episode and then follow it up with minutes after minutes of same scenes seen in the first couple of episodes was a bad sign.
-I thought they have now used all possible ways to fill time without going anywhere, but then the several driving scenes happened. Most of the episode had me desperately wish there was more time left for it.
-While the sex scene was unnerving because I thought Cooper would have a horrible horror face, I mostly wished they wouldn't spend so much time showing this Coop&Diane "romance", because damn it, I'm already disappointed in Diane anyway and now they try to make me care about their happiness and misery.
-The Carrie Page stuff was very interesting. But there was too little of that and too much of it was pointless time wasting.
-God damn it the leaked scene WAS the cliffhanger, lol :D I even dreamed it once that it would end up as being the cliffhanger for the season but shrugged it of as too stupid of a thing. Oh well.
-This episode made me feel like the previous episodes didn't really matter.
-The Giant riddles meant way less than I ever imagined what they could mean. Those clues were pointless in that how they seemed to be supposed to be a mystery to wonder about during the season.

While the season has had its ups every now and then, I can't help but feel disappointed to it. Things that people have criticized the season of have constantly been countered with "there's still time" and "you can't say that because you haven't seen the finale yet", but now I've seen it and most of the worries turned out to be true.

That said, bring on Season 4. I will watch it.
But Season 3 will be my least favorite of Twin Peaks seasons.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:It broke my heart in a way that I love.

It's devastating to know that there are realities out there where Laura is doomed to be reborn and remember her past from another life, because Cooper is trying to save her in EVERY reality out of the goodness of his heart and doesn't realize what's happening.
Thanks for this. It makes me feel better thinking of it in this way. Episode 17 was like how Cooper wanted this all to end, which may be part of why Freddie's whole character and the fight with Bob was ridiculous. It was all too perfect, and then in 18 the harsh reality sets in.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

"While the season has had its ups every now and then, I can't help but feel disappointed to it. Things that people have criticized the season of have constantly been countered with "there's still time" and "you can't say that because you haven't seen the finale yet", but now I've seen it and most of the worries turned out to be true."

I'll just lift that one sentence from your post (though I enjoyed all of it). A divide between love/maybe love a little less has been prevalent on these message boards pretty much from the beginning. Those who increasingly worried as the number of remaining episodes kept dwindling that there certainly didn't seem to be sufficient time left to resolve all the dangling plotlines and new names that were being dropped all the way up to Episode 16 were always met by the rebuff from the other side that "Lynch & Frost have planned this thing exactly the way they wanted it to be, and so, it's impossible for them to have been sloppy or careless." And maybe that's true, I don't know. It certainly appears they were apathetic about resolving much of anything, which is their privilege, but as someone who invested so much time into this thing, I find it frustrating.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Audrey's storyline will probably end up being the most frustrating for me because other original characters did get nostalgic pay-offs, or they played a role in the final fight with Bob. The new characters were also given satisfying conclusions. Audrey though was somewhere inbetween. Her storyline was new, and yet it didn't have a direct connection to what was happening with Cooper either. Being an Audrey fan is painful. It's also really sad to think she's been alone this whole time and will continue to be alone.
Last edited by nonemoreblack on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

nonemoreblack wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:It broke my heart in a way that I love.

It's devastating to know that there are realities out there where Laura is doomed to be reborn and remember her past from another life, because Cooper is trying to save her in EVERY reality out of the goodness of his heart and doesn't realize what's happening.
Thanks for this. It makes me feel better thinking of it in this way. Episode 17 was like how Cooper wanted this all to end, which may be part of why Freddie's whole character and the fight with Bob was ridiculous. It was all too perfect, and then in 18 the harsh reality sets in.
Yes, it certainly seemed like we were getting Mega-Happy-Ending, complete with Candie handing out sandwiches to everybody, but I had a creeping sense of dread, knowing there were still 80-90 minutes left. Those who hated everything that followed (and I may fall in that camp, still thinking about it) can just pretend the season ended here.