Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

N. Needleman wrote:That reminds me: Imma rewatch Picnic at Hanging Rock. Maybe that'll help this shellshock.
Maybe Cooper can try and find Miranda.. :?

Apart from Australia, I never realised that Picnic at Hanging Rock was that well known.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Esselgee wrote:So might we get a reason now why Ontkean dropped out? Did he possibly get to read the whole script and changed his mind? He would have had probably just the single scene with Kyle in 17 and thought it just wouldn't be worthwhile?
Ontkean would have had plenty of scenes...L/F wouldn't have asked him to fly up from Hawaii for one scene. All Frank's scenes, and likely several of Hawk's, would have belonged to Harry. The character of Frank was only invented after he dropped out.
I guess Lynch wasn't a big fan of Heather Graham?
Pretty sure he likes her just fine. He did a commercial with her before she was ever on TP. I think he just doesn't care much about anything that happened in late season 2 without his influence.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:Apart from Australia, I never realised that Picnic at Hanging Rock was that well known.
I'm not sure it is outside film-buff circles. I first found it a few years ago browsing through Hulu's Criterion catalogue.

Absolutely loved it though; especially the way it communicate the uncanniness of prim human culture trying to settle within mysterious nature through visiuals alone (and then uncanny events on top of that). Shades of that all over Peaks.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

ThumbsUp wrote:The story of the girl who lived down the lane.

Audrey said the same thing to Charlie. Charlie threatened to end her story. Sarah told Hawk it's a god damn bad story.

"Story" = a particular timeline, dimension, parallel universe? Carrie had to get her coat like Audrey had to, the phone was ringing in Carrie's and Audrey was sick of waiting for the phone to ring.

I think Audrey's whole thread was to foreshadow the system of dreamers/dreams that the entire TP universe seems to be functioning in.
very good point.. i noticed the thing about the connection with Audrey and the story about the little girl who lived down the lane.. it also reminds me of Grace Zabriskie's Visitor character in Inland Empire, who is a female/girl that says her house is down by the road, and difficult to see
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

After sleeping I'm still in shock, my heart still slightly racing. That was truly incredible. I'm feeling such a huge mix of emotions only a true artistic masterpiece can evoke.

That enigmatic ending was the greatest gift we could have possibly had. Though I have some ideas, all seeming evenly vague and nonsensical; I have absolutely no idea what happened. An oh so very Lynchian twist, but I don't think it has ever worked so well for me.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Jonah wrote:The "curtain call" line was intriguing. When that line was first stated, I expected we'd see a literal curtain call (ala the closing credits of "Inland Empire") with all the cast appearing and bowing, perhaps in front of red curtains. Now I wonder if that's a hint for a bonus episode, Missing Pieces of some sort, or maybe even Season 4. (Part 18 was so disappointing I hope there's a bit more story - somewhere.)
Yes, I was expecting much the same. And it just seemed to suggest that things would wrap up, one way or the other.

Not that I'm complaining. But it did seem an odd choice of words for Cooper, as if he knew how things were going to end - and then they seemed not to really end at all.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Post by Harry Yallrite »

I'm going with the alternate dimension/parallel reality result of "passing through" - rather than having changesd history or altered existences.

I feel (IMO anyway) Cooper DID save Laura from being murdered that night, but the significance of her having been whisked away just before reaching the spot near jack rabbit's palace suggested to me (again, just IMO) that Laura needed to be brought to that other reality somehow.

If Cooper DID alter history, it wouldn't have affected anything PRIOR to that night of 2/24/1989 - therefore, there's still a Cooper, there's still a Diane. The Coop/Diane we know - he didn't go back far enough to change the course of their history and make them completely different people, now being Richard and Linda all of a sudden.

But loved the Chalfont/Tremond influence on the alternate reality - and that Laura & Cooper do in fact realize on some level that their TP existence & experiences are very real and did very much occur....
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Are the Chalfonts played by the actual real life residents of the Palmer house? I've heard this rumor a long time ago.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Tailsun wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:The story of the girl who lived down the lane.

Audrey said the same thing to Charlie. Charlie threatened to end her story. Sarah told Hawk it's a god damn bad story.

"Story" = a particular timeline, dimension, parallel universe? Carrie had to get her coat like Audrey had to, the phone was ringing in Carrie's and Audrey was sick of waiting for the phone to ring.

I think Audrey's whole thread was to foreshadow the system of dreamers/dreams that the entire TP universe seems to be functioning in.
Thank you for this - I thought I remembered Audrey mentioning the "girl down the lane." Those other details thought - amazing!

I felt tons of deja vu during part 18 and I'm sure there are even more moments that were "seeded" earlier in the series. Very reminiscent of MD. I think Jeffries' manipulation of the Owl Cave/ring symbol is relevant here. A familiar representation of our reality (or story as you put it) rearranging and folding in on itself until it becomes "infinity," distorting our story into something uncanny. Definitely veering into extreme abstraction, even by TP standards. I'd be curious to see if this changes the impact of some scenes with a rewatch.
I loved it. Speaking of Diane, when she and Coop are having sex, is she putting her hands on his face to block out memories of her assault? Or was she touching his face to see if it was really him? Why were they having sex in the first place, and why did it seem to splinter another timeline?

It seemed like a lot of deju vu or repeat experiences the characters were going through, maybe with different versions of themselves, which links back to Jeffries' infinity symbol and the many teapots, and the larger running themes of TP like doppelgangers, lookalikes, dreams, past and future, chanting out between two worlds, etc.
Didn't Naido feel his face in Episode 3? The mauve room?

Also, when the clock in the sheriffs office kept glitching, was it on 2:53 (time and again?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BHell
Roadhouse Member

Post by BHell »

Cipher wrote: I also like the reading above that interprets "430. Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone" as a warning. That's certainly possible. Either way, it's an inscrutable spiritual tug of war with Laura (capable of saving herself and understanding) and Cooper (who can't) in between. I'm happy we know as little about the spirits as we do--they illustrate the emotional components without subsuming them, as I was worried at points this season they might.
Ragnell wrote: Richard and Linda. 430. 2 birds with one stone.

The clue was backwards, showed that if he tried to get those two birds he'd end up with Richard and Linda's unsatisfying night. "I understand" "You are far away"="You are nowhere near understanding."
I do find that kind of interpretation quite witty and entertaining, but I won't lie: It does not convince me. If that phrase was a warning, it was worded extremely badly. Not just simply because Cooper didn't get it; but because it achieved the polar opposite of what it intendend to. Simply omitting the "430" would have sufficed to prevent Cooper from doing what he did. Heck, without the "430" he would not even have needed any kind of warning.

Also, how did Cooper conclude from "Two birds with one stone" and "430", that he was supposed to drive 430 miles in a certain direction, no less with another person (who might or might not have to be Diane of all people), to get to Laura. We seem to be missing some crucial steps here. Or is that already dream logic at work?

To me, the only reasonable assumption is, that Cooper was indeed pushed in this direction. So the Lodge inhabitants must have cared in some way - maybe not for Coop or Laura, but at least for something. And that begs the question: Cui bono?

Cooper and Laura are certainly not better off, being stuck in some twisted version of Twin Peaks they don't know. At least not at the moment.
Leland could not have wished for this. Mike, at best, really did'nt care.
That leaves the Giant/Fireman, who gave the clue. But what did he gain from this? He might have scored against Judy - but to score, Cooper rescuing Laura in the woods would have been enough. No further action needed...
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Soolsma wrote:Are the Chalfonts played by the actual real life residents of the Palmer house? I've heard this rumor a long time ago.
Yes. Timothy and Mary Reber are the real life owners of the house.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Just woke up after watching Part 18. I still don't understand the ending :shock: but it reminds me of when you have a dream and it feels like everything is coming together --- but then you suddenly find yourself in another location and surrounded by different people but retain this sensation that everything within the dream is somehow interconnected and part of the same story. But then you wake up before you can figure it out, and spend the entire morning trying to make sense of it. And I'll be spending years thinking about this ending which is exactly what David Lynch wants.
Last edited by Ashok on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Carrie Cage --> CP
CP + infinity symbol = COOP
IAmHappeningAgain
Roadhouse Member

Post by IAmHappeningAgain »

The big Candie reveal was amazing. I never could have imagined how pivotal she'd end up being. Lynch did it again.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Panapaok wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Are the Chalfonts played by the actual real life residents of the Palmer house? I've heard this rumor a long time ago.
Yes. Timothy and Mary Reber are the real life owners of the house.
I love what Lynch is slightly hinting at there, like with the Belucci dream :)