Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by The Brown Lodge »

The song that plays when Richard and Linda are having sex, begins with the words "when the twilight is gone" and something about when the sunbirds are awake. I take this to mean that someone has been dreaming and they have now woken up. Does this give credence to the whole "everything was a dream" idea and that Richard is the real dude sort of thing?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

The Brown Lodge wrote:The song that plays when Richard and Linda are having sex, begins with the words "when the twilight is gone" and something about when the sunbirds are awake. I take this to mean that someone has been dreaming and they have now woken up. Does this give credence to the whole "everything was a dream" idea and that Richard is the real dude sort of thing?
Just to clarify the lyrics:
"My Prayer"

When the twilight is gone and no songbirds are singing
When the twilight is gone you come into my heart
And here in my heart you will stay while I pray

My prayer is to linger with you
At the end of the day in a dream that's divine
My prayer is a rapture in blue
With the world far away and your lips close to mine

Tonight while our hearts are aglow
Oh tell me the words that I'm longing to know

My prayer and the answer you give
May they still be the same for as long as we live
That you'll always be there at the end of my prayer
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Well... at least we're getting out of this fucking town of Odessa.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

TwinsPeak wrote:With the alternate reality theory. Do you think there is a chance that Laura and Coop/Carrie and Richard are in our reality? Using the real owners of the house makes me wonder....but if it was our reality I guess Laura's name would be Sheryl and Coop would be Kyle.
there's certainly a few things pointing towards they having crossed over to our reality where Twin Peaks is not Twin Peaks but Snoqualmie / Everett and as you say using the owners of the house is especially curious in that regard. the thing that mostly speaks against this imo is the fact that Lynch makes sure we takes note of the R.R. with the sign and everything (although it's closed)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

claaa7 wrote:
TwinsPeak wrote:With the alternate reality theory. Do you think there is a chance that Laura and Coop/Carrie and Richard are in our reality? Using the real owners of the house makes me wonder....but if it was our reality I guess Laura's name would be Sheryl and Coop would be Kyle.
there's certainly a few things pointing towards they having crossed over to our reality where Twin Peaks is not Twin Peaks but Snoqualmie / Everett and as you say using the owners of the house is especially curious in that regard. the thing that mostly speaks against this imo is the fact that Lynch makes sure we takes note of the R.R. with the sign and everything (although it's closed)
Along with Judy's and the horses there, the #6 utility pole outside of Carrie's, Carrie's horseshoe necklace and especially her white horse in front of a blue plate, Carrie's reaction to Sarah's name, the RR sign, and the homeowner names being Tremond and Chalfont.

Then of course there's the lights going out with the scream, which I suppose could indicate the shattering of illusion.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

From the critic and writer David Auerbach comes this interpretive theory and it's about the most thorough and best one I've seen. Should become the de facto one afaic.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

John Justice Wheeler wrote:From the critic and writer David Auerbach comes this interpretive theory and it's about the most thorough and best one I've seen. Should become the de facto one afaic.
Seconded. Best I have heard yet.
Doctor S

Post by Doctor S »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
John Justice Wheeler wrote:From the critic and writer David Auerbach comes this interpretive theory and it's about the most thorough and best one I've seen. Should become the de facto one afaic.
Seconded. Best I have heard yet.
Agree. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of nitpicks, but on a first reading it's the best working theory so far.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Wow! That is impressive work.
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

That article clears up SOME of my misgivings...I wonder how much if anything will be confirmed by Mark Frost's book.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

hah! i didn't notice this, this is a great observation:

"Twin Peaks: The Return has a symmetrical structure. For example, Cooper enters catatonic Dougie-state 2.5 hours in and wakes up with 2.5 hours to go."

on continuing reading, this is a most brilliant interpretation that rings a lot of truth
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

Wonderful theory, I will stick with that.

Btw, since I bought the CD on Amazon, the Return Soundtrack was available since midnight for me as AutoRip. Wonderful, and "Heartbreaking" is twice as long as in the show... love "The Chair" as well. And the track "Dark Space Low" (from the ending of EP18 when Laura is whispering into Coop's ear) is hurting me in a sad way :)

Too bad the cheerful Piano music from EP11's ending is missing though... but I already sampled that directly from the episode - you should see my kids when they hear the dialoge playing, while we are driving in our car: "Candy, Candy, Candy! Look at me!"
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

Ok THIS theory is exactly what I've been feeling like I was circling without ever reaching (and probably wouldn't have on my own, although I was going in the right direction). By and large I really think he nailed it. I'm happy about this.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

docLEXfisti wrote: you should see my kids when they hear the dialoge playing, while we are driving in our car: "Candy, Candy, Candy! Look at me!"
Everyone loves Candy! The first scene I was thought she was a space cadet. I recall all the talk of Amy being in a huge amount of Parts, and thinking she must be an undercover cop or something. :lol: I will not forget the TV remote scene in a hurry.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

I read it somewhere since the final part that the reason that Ashley Judds character came about was because of the Sherilynn drama when she missed the initial filming. Has anyone heard that? Interesting if the original intention was to have Audrey working at the Great Northern alongside Ben.