Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mace
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mace »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
Jonah wrote:I wonder if Carrie Page is an anagram?
Paige is Beverly's last name. Not sure that means anything though
Strangely enough, one anagram of Carrie Page is: Crap I Agree
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It really was LH and MD all over again.

For months I was fooled - I thought Lynch would go for the ultimate happy ending, have Laura resurrected because he could. Instead he did the Monkey's Paw with Dale. (And as I've always said, he was wrong about the ring in FWWM IMO. I've been telling people that for years - Cooper didn't know what he was talking about, he just wanted to save Laura.)

Transcendent in 17, vicious and terrifying in 18 - especially the sex scene - the best of David Lynch and of Twin Peaks.

I do pray there is more but if this is how it goes out, I'm okay. Like after watching MD, scarred but okay. Just masterful stuff.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Ashok wrote:I'm totally confused by the timeline after Cooper left the Sheriff station. Was everything at the end of Part 17 and 18 linear from Cooper's POV or were we seeing everything out of order? I honestly don't understand Part 18 at all.
I think what happened there was Cooper had to touch Mr. Cooper to put the ring on him. The ring made it back to the Black Lodge, but Mr. Cooper's body did not. I think old Bob jumped right back into Coop.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Since we have lots of visitors, I'd like to point out the final poll of reactions to The Return. Please vote!:

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3798

I don't know when we'll have so many visitors again. I'd like lots of votes like the poll for parts 1-4.

The white horse (and blue plate) in Carrie/Laura's apartment:
white_horse.jpg
white_horse.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 9151 times
Last edited by Jasper on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zmccain

Post by zmccain »

"Brilliant!" "Masterful!" "Genius"

Yeah.

We just got fucked in the ass folks.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

My reaction to this series finale is pretty much the same that I had when I first watched the ending of season 2. The episode was over, I shrugged my shoulders, thought: "Yeah, that´s a fitting ending for the show" and I LOVED it. :)
Electric Tree

Post by Electric Tree »

So, the whole story from Twin Peaks I on through to Twin Peaks Return just became a Star Trek/Back To The Future II alt-timeline thing???... oy vey!!
PS..nothing worse than having a bunch of actors stand around for 5 minutes doing lameass reaction shots ("pretend you're all looking at something really bizarre/amazing /unbelievable")..yes, I'm talking about the crappy bit in Sheriff Truman's office
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

So MacLachlan played five roles. Add Richard to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

So it ends in Sherrif Truman's office. Bob is dead. Evil Coop back in the lodge. The entire gang is there. The end. But Naido... as soon as she re-emerges in Coop's sight it seems that things twist.

Everything after that makes no sense. It is all in Coop's head/imagination/dreams after that for me. I think we have a happy ending, but seeing her results in him just losing it mentally in the face of closure and extreme pressure. In that office.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Because there was so little actual dialogue in between the empty silences -- what was spoken stands out. I'm thinking how the waitress told Coop "It's her third day off." Should that mean anything.. And of course, how long had the dude dead from a gunshot to the head in Laura/ Carrie's house been dead?

"I try to keep things tidy/ orderly..." was what Carrie shared during the car drive. But no food in the house.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

dougguitar wrote:
Wally Brando wrote:
garethw wrote:Erm... anyone even mention the dead guy in Laura/Carrie's house?
Never mind the dead guy, did you see the white horse on the mantle?
There was a white horse out in front of Judy's diner, too.
The other thing curious at the diner was Coop's coffee. There didn't appear to be any in his cup. It kind of recalled the weird physical properties of the coffee/treacle/engine oil in the Red Room.

And I guess deep-trying some fire arms is also somewhat unusual.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Framed_Angel wrote:"I try to keep things tidy/ orderly..." was what Carrie shared during the car drive. But no food in the house.
When she started going on like that, I thought Coop had made the ultimate miscalculation: Carrie is Judy.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

dougguitar wrote:
Wally Brando wrote:
garethw wrote:Erm... anyone even mention the dead guy in Laura/Carrie's house?
Never mind the dead guy, did you see the white horse on the mantle?
There was a white horse out in front of Judy's diner, too.
You've just reminded me of the white horse Sarah saw in the initial seasons.
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

richsmith wrote:
Wally Brando wrote:
richsmith wrote: I think tonight's reaction is almost identical to what I remember after Series 2's finale. The vocal majority absolutely detested it, a passionate minority adored and defended it. Of course, Season 2's ending is now considered one of the all-time greats, and I suspect The Return's equivalent will come to be seen the same way in time. Either way, you simply have to be amazed and impressed by Lynch and Frost's uncompromising vision... and the fact that they clearly have incredibly large testicles.
I can certainly remember being shellshocked by the original ending, and bring elated when the film was announced / outraged when it was announced it was a prequel.

This time around I found the final episode absolutely perfect.

The one criticism I do agree with is that the last 2 parts rendered a lot of the previous 16 episodes irrelevant. As entertaining as it almost all was, unless there is another season, I'm not sure how much I'll care about a lot of it, as parts 8 and 18 to me were just so much better than everything else. Just watched 18 again, and it's captivating and chilling at the same time, phenomenal.
I agree that parts 8 and 18 were the stand-outs, but I disagree with the rest of your post. Even the seemingly lesser episodes had moments or scenes that would count as high points in most directors' entire filmographies. And I don't believe that the ending makes the first 17 episodes irrelevant. As with Mulholland Drive and other Lynch projects that delve into dream logic and identity confusion, the reveals are never so simple as to invalidate what went before.
Don't get me wrong, I loved almost everything about this series, it's just that as 18 takes the entire as TP universe in a new direction and I'm less interested in how we got there right now, it's where we go from here (which is probably nowhere unless by some miracle we do get a season 4) that's captured my imagination.

I'm sure there will be plenty to pick out on further rewatches for years to come but at the same time you could make a convincing case for a fan edit that consisted almost entirely of the lodge scenes, a tiny bit of Dougie, and then everything from Cooper waking up. The dozen or so other plot lines that were left unresolved don't really matter anymore if Cooper and Laura don't get back to Twin Peaks proper, so they seem less crucial to the 'main' plot than ever before imo.

(It's almost dawn here and I reserve the right to change my mind entirely after a few hours sleep).
Tailsun
Roadhouse Member

Post by Tailsun »

What a ride. I registered to read everyone's impressions of the first four hours back when it premiered, and am excited to come back and spend some time digesting this ending with everyone else.

My mind is going about a mile a minute - any attempt to put specific thoughts into words is pretty tough right now. But one thing I can say is that "the return" seems to be a cautionary tale. I think many of us hoped we could return to the Twin Peaks that we knew, or thought we knew, or created for ourselves over the years. Maybe with one last journey we could get some answers, set things straight, reunite with characters we missed. So we went back, and here we are - with more questions than we started with, grappling with the notion that maybe our plan was doomed from the start.

I keep trying to write more but it's tough to stay on track. Back to reading and thinking for me... These boards are sure to be interesting for the next while!