Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by garethw »

Lotta driving in this show.

Lotta driving.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

The whole Diane stuff is making my head spin... the Naido switcheroo was disappointing I'll admit, was hoping that speculation was going to be wrong. Diane sees her doppleganger? And then has passionless (for Cooper anyway) sex and then disappears? Was the sex act needed to open some kind of pathway between worlds?Was it somehow a cathartic act against her trauma of being raped and tulpa-ized and then transformed into Naido?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

fluorescent light wrote: It didn't help me stomach the ludicrously awful Diane sex scene though
My wife could not watch that scene because it was so disconcerting. (She kept wanting me to turn down the volume as if that would help, lol). Yet you think it was ludicrous? It's a wide world of wonder, that's for sure.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

crash_and_burn wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Oh well.
Thank you for taking the time to spell out in more detail why Part 18 was so disappointing.

For the record, I absolutely loved Part 17.

I'm headed to the bar.

Fuck this shit ending.
He literally just said it was dull. That was the extent of his detailed analysis.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I loved part 17, I can say at least this much right now.

I think I need to give part 18 a long little while to digest. While there was a ton of really emotionally profound moments in part 17, particularly incorporating the previously unseen footage from FWWM and the Pilot, Part 18 mostly leaves a sense of utter befuddlement. It's unsettling to get nothing else from a finale, but yet ultimately there's nothing else you can expect from Lynch.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lol.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
fluorescent light

Post by fluorescent light »

BEARisonFord wrote:
fluorescent light wrote:
It didn't help me stomach the ludicrously awful Diane sex scene though
why ludicrously awful? It actually reminded me of Lost Highway quite a bit.
Eh idk, felt gratuitous, unnecessary...difficult to interpret the complexities of someone trying to enjoy sex with a man who raped them...or same body, anyway...with the tone created by the music. red haired Diane overall felt very thin as a character. Although I guess it's unclear to me why there were 2 Dianes again....
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I think part 17 was the ending. Part 18 is something else.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Jonah wrote:The "curtain call" line was intriguing. When that line was first stated, I expected we'd see a literal curtain call (ala the closing credits of "Inland Empire") with all the cast appearing and bowing, perhaps in front of red curtains. Now I wonder if that's a hint for a bonus episode, Missing Pieces of some sort, or maybe even Season 4. (Part 18 was so disappointing I hope there's a bit more story - somewhere.)
Episode 16 made me think of the red room curtains as red theatre curtains, and when he said "curtain call" I interpreted it as end to that particular story - the one about Laura Palmer. The arm also asks him "is it the story . . ." Which story is he in? Is the red room just a labyrinth of stories and characters expelled upon the world?
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

We think we see Diane and Cooper together in the car but it could also be any combination of:
Cooper and Diane's tulpa
Diane and Cooper's tulpa
Cooper's tulpa and Diane's tulpa.

How do we even know if Gordon, Albert, Tammy or any other character on the show is or isn't a tulpa? The combinations and theories are endless.

(I'm sure that some fans are begining to think that the tulpas of Lynch & Frost wrote The Return. :lol: )
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

Jonah wrote:
BGate wrote:
crash_and_burn wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to spell out in more detail why Part 18 was so disappointing.

For the record, I absolutely loved Part 17.

I'm headed to the bar.

Fuck this shit ending.
He literally just said it was dull. That was the extent of his detailed analysis.
Lol.
Jonah, I know you said much more than that, and so do many other people. Don't sweat it.

;)
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

fluorescent light wrote:but y'all are like Charlie Brown trying to kick Lucy's football if you think Lynch is ever going to provide resolution
This is actually a really apt analogy for how part 18 functioned.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Diane wrote:I think part 17 was the ending. Part 18 is something else.
that sounds right to me.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

crash_and_burn wrote: Dale and Diane knew they were fucked if they crossed that 430 mile marker.
But that didn't need to mean the whole damned story was fucked.
^ This. QFT.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I'm totally confused by the timeline after Cooper left the Sheriff station. Was everything at the end of Part 17 and 18 linear from Cooper's POV or were we seeing everything out of order? I honestly don't understand Part 18 at all.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday