Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:04 pm

LateReg wrote:Yes, for sure. I always seem to think her smashing the photo is more the result of Laura being saved in the first place. She is mourning her life, whereas in the original pilot she was mourning her death. How exactly the picture smashing is tied to the next scene's disappearance is a bit more ambiguous for me.

Thanks for the interesting observation on the behind the scenes, too. I've only seen that clip once.

I don’t want to oversell it, and the editing is a little disorienting...but give it a look if you get a chance. It’s around the 15-odd minute mark in the first Disc 8 documentary, “The Man with the Grey Elevated Hair.” It’s almost as creepy as anything actually shot for the series proper, IMO. I’d love to see an unedited version of that conversation.

I view Sarah’s arc as paralleling all the complex emotions a mother in her position would be feeling: guilt at her complicity in abuse, jealousy at her husband feeling attracted to their daughter (something Jennifer wonderfully hinted at in TSDoLP and which I think the P17 scene horrifyingly realizes), frustration at her inability to move past the events of 1989, loneliness, feeling trapped. Her whole life has in retrospect been defined by Laura, and she wishes she could erase Laura from existence and reclaim her own identity. Insofar as TP is a story about incest, I think TR is important for telling Sarah’s perspective just as FWWM was important for telling Leland’s.
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched the brief behind the scenes clip of him and Grace on the night of that shoot.

Do you know approximately when this appears?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched the brief behind the scenes clip of him and Grace on the night of that shoot.

It’s around the 15-odd minute mark in the first Disc 8 documentary, “The Man with the Grey Elevated Hair.“
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:28 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:

It’s around the 15-odd minute mark in the first Disc 8 documentary, “The Man with the Grey Elevated Hair.“

Thanks!
boske
Great Northern Member

Postby boske » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:13 am

boske wrote:
LateReg wrote:
boske wrote:Yes, indeed. And with a hypertrophied ring finger. Some people have identified the mysterious smile to be the one from the famous Laura's photo. FWWM showed Laura to be a rather complex figure.

Interesting. I mean, I knew this theory about the smile but had missed the hand, which definitely looks like Laura's. But as I'm sure you know, there is the Judy "horn" visible for a split second on the top of the head inside of Sarah. Very unique commingling of elements that compose Sarah's fractured state.

What we see at that moment is some kind of actualisation of what that trash-talking trucker (T3 :lol:) told Sarah in the Elk bar in part 14, about fondling and the rest of it. And the parallel is here: Diane is almost impressing something onto Cooper's face with her palms, a cast or mold of something (her mask/persona?), and remember that Sarah/mother/experiment removes her mask before slaying the poor trucker, so this could represent Cooper's failure, submersion, or even death on another level, most likely spiritual, mimicking the poor trucker's demise. About the writhing backs, there is something reptilian about those scenes, as if it is alluding to a snake-lie movement involving the spine.

I like this as well. Perhaps Diane is attempting to not only block out her own trauma by covering Cooper's face, but also trying to keep him from removing his face to reveal the blackness within?

Who knows, maybe down the road we catch some fish, as Lynch would have it, and figure out more. There is something tantric about that scene, and it does seem to tie into TSHoTP. There are also some hints here involving polarity: first with Naido (a precursor to Diane) flipping the switch and changing polarity, and then we see something similar in the car when Cooper and Diane cross that 430 mile threshold, some sort of a permutation at work.

Back to this part for a moment. On the subject of Richard and Linda, particularly pertaining to their relation in this part, maybe we could try this time to interpret their meaning using the "nomen set omen" approach, and see if anything could be deduced.

Let us start with Linda, where one of its meanings in German is "snake". Remember the awkward scene in this part, where Lynch focuses on snake-like movements in Linda's back (where he could be alluding to Kundalini Yoga). What about Richard? While there may not be something obvious in the name right away, one of the first associations would be that of Richard the Lionheart, the heart of lion, and both lion and heart allude to emotional aspect of man's soul, with heart as the seat of man's emotional life. These are hints to a tantric nature of Richard and Linda's relationship, and it all ties into TSHoTP, in particular page 261.

Return to “Parts Discussion”