Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Mr. Reindeer

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:04 pm

LateReg wrote:Yes, for sure. I always seem to think her smashing the photo is more the result of Laura being saved in the first place. She is mourning her life, whereas in the original pilot she was mourning her death. How exactly the picture smashing is tied to the next scene's disappearance is a bit more ambiguous for me.

Thanks for the interesting observation on the behind the scenes, too. I've only seen that clip once.

I don’t want to oversell it, and the editing is a little disorienting...but give it a look if you get a chance. It’s around the 15-odd minute mark in the first Disc 8 documentary, “The Man with the Grey Elevated Hair.” It’s almost as creepy as anything actually shot for the series proper, IMO. I’d love to see an unedited version of that conversation.

I view Sarah’s arc as paralleling all the complex emotions a mother in her position would be feeling: guilt at her complicity in abuse, jealousy at her husband feeling attracted to their daughter (something Jennifer wonderfully hinted at in TSDoLP and which I think the P17 scene horrifyingly realizes), frustration at her inability to move past the events of 1989, loneliness, feeling trapped. Her whole life has in retrospect been defined by Laura, and she wishes she could erase Laura from existence and reclaim her own identity. Insofar as TP is a story about incest, I think TR is important for telling Sarah’s perspective just as FWWM was important for telling Leland’s.

Return to “Parts Discussion”