'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

lotjx2

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Postby lotjx2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:25 pm

I just got it for Christmas and tore through it in a few hours. I like how it opens with a known character's fate. That was a shocking way into it. I thought the book was good and how somethings were explained fairly well. Other times it felt like a rehash if things I already knew. The ending
Spoiler:
I feel is A Muppet Movie Ending where Tammy just outright says "Write your own ending." That the books already knows Season 3's finale is going to cause fans to lose their minds, so it seems to dismiss all the fan theories and states that you have to choose the ending. I think after months of stewing with this, I have come to the conclusion its rather ballsy for Lynch to tell fans "Here you figure it and whatever you decide its the right answer." I will say I am not cool with the Laura Palmer missing bit. That really bugs the hell out of me. I just kinda wish they would have made it part of a third timeline instead of remaking the universe. Not a fan of that at all then again as the writer of this story, I can just say Laura's scream reset everything and Dale appears after Tammy sends that finale message to Cole.
fearltd

Postby fearltd » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

fearltd wrote:I don't think this was included in the book, at least not in the digital copy. https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 2559500288

It's a flyer/card that appeared to be for a memorial at the Roadhouse in 1994, to mark the 5th anniversary of Laura's passing (disappearance? :shock: ). I guess it was tweeted in some promotional picture from Flatiron so most of us just assumed it was from the Final Dossier.

If anyone else was curious about this, I found out that it was just promotional art for the UK publisher.

http://www.davidmoseley.co.uk/projects/ ... index.html
laughingpinecone

Postby laughingpinecone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 am

fearltd wrote:
fearltd wrote:I don't think this was included in the book, at least not in the digital copy. https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 2559500288

It's a flyer/card that appeared to be for a memorial at the Roadhouse in 1994, to mark the 5th anniversary of Laura's passing (disappearance? :shock: ). I guess it was tweeted in some promotional picture from Flatiron so most of us just assumed it was from the Final Dossier.

If anyone else was curious about this, I found out that it was just promotional art for the UK publisher.

http://www.davidmoseley.co.uk/projects/ ... index.html

I was curious, so thanks a bunch! Very nice sleuthing! :!:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rami Airola

Postby Rami Airola » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 am

Surprisingly this book managed to get me back being interested in Twin Peaks again!

The Secret History had ok parts but was disappointing. Season 3 had good parts but was disappointing as a whole.
I had read some spoilers about this book and thought this was going to be disappointing too but, maybe because of lowered expectations, I enjoyed my time with The Final Dossier - especially the last third of the book was really good.

The negatives:
-It was disappointingly short.
-Some inconsistencies here and there.
-It has great opening and great last third, but some of the stuff in between wasn't that interesting.
-Lots of it was basically just retelling what we already saw in Season 3. It's as if Frost didn't feel the series told those things they way he wanted them to be told and he felt a need to tell it again. It kinda looks like it could be Lynch's and Frost's original "synopsis" for parts of Season 3.

The positives:
-I absolutely loved that lots of late Season 2 stuff was mentioned. Even the whole Evelyn Marsh subplot got a few lines! That's some dedicated fan service right there. Would've enjoyed a mention of Little Nicky too but I can't get everything.
-The Annie stuff was GREAT! I would've loved to see that in Season 3. It seems that Annie either responds to Bad Coop's "question" once a year or is saying what her current state is, as if she knows that in the universe she exists in her well being is questioned by a malicious force and every time the yearly question of "how's Annie" is asked again she automatically responds that she is still fine, she is not in danger. This idea is great!
-The book in general becomes amazingly interesting from the beginning of Major Briggs' part.
-I wasn't quite sure about the "Judy" reveals in Season 3, but for some reason even though the whole Ba'al thing was maybe a bit to on the nose I got seriously interested in it.

What comes to the alternative universe thing, I don't quite think it's supposed to be about actual alternative universes.
If our existence is actually a dream dreamed by the dreamer (God?), then things could be changed in this universe just like things can be changed in a dream.
The universe doesn't change. Timelines don't change. We are in the dream, our minds perceive the dream. Once a thing has been changed in the dream, our minds start to believe those changes and they become the new reality.
I think that the ending of Season 3 was about Cooper being in a potential idea of a potential reality, and perhaps not in an actual another timeline.
It's all about mind.

Return to “Books”