'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dud
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks' new novel by M. Frost 2

Post by dud »

whoa that's not at all what i was expecting but that sounds equally as cool

edit: next page'd:
TheArm wrote:I have a relative who works for Flatiron Books who was able to give me a tad more info on the book. He said it's not going to be a conventional, straightforward novel, but will instead be a mix of lots of different types of "written media"; there will be letters, emails, transcripts of phone conversations, conventional book chapters, newspaper articles, case files, etc., in addition to cool art and photography too, which will interweave with the written portions. He said the goal is for the book itself to be its own piece of art, basically (and to sort of operate as a higher end coffee table-type book, it sounds like).

He said everything with this book in particular is being kept under crazy security reading or looking at anything from the book whatsoever is done so only on a "need to know" type basis, but he said he'd keep me posted on anything else he's able to in the meantime... Anyway, sounds really cool and I'm even more excited!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

TheArm wrote:I have a relative who works for Flatiron Books who was able to give me a tad more info on the book. He said it's not going to be a conventional, straightforward novel, but will instead be a mix of lots of different types of "written media"; there will be letters, emails, transcripts of phone conversations, conventional book chapters, newspaper articles, journal entries, case files, etc., in addition to cool art and photography too, which will interweave with the written portions. He said the goal is for the book itself to be its own piece of art, basically (and to sort of operate as a higher end coffee table-type book, it sounds like).

He said everything with this book in particular is being kept under crazy security reading or looking at anything from the book whatsoever is done so only on a "need to know" type basis, but he said he'd keep me posted on anything else he's able to in the meantime... Anyway, sounds really cool and I'm even more excited!
This sounds incredible!! Thanks for the info!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Incredible stuff, makes me even more pumped for the novel. Thanks for sharing! :D
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

TheArm, if you happen to know, could you possibly tell us if, even though it's not a conventional novel, it is still a novel with an overarching narrative simply told through different mediums? or is it more like a collection of related anecdotes?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

dud wrote:TheArm, if you happen to know, could you possibly tell us if, even though it's not a conventional novel, it is still a novel with an overarching narrative simply told through different mediums? or is it more like a collection of related anecdotes?
That I don't know (and I doubt my relative does either). It did sound more like anecdotes from lots of different characters' lives in different media forms the way he was describing it, but I think it's too early to really say, and again, he only has a certain amount of access (and right now has absolutely no access to any of the plot/character specifics). But obviously I'll keep people posted if/when I learn any more. He just knew what the general macro concept is for the book (he described it as a "collage").
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

This is pretty much what I expected, and it makes a lot of sense as it resembles much of the preexisting written TP media from the 90s; Laura's diary, Cooper's tapes, the town guidebook, all of those were 'found materials' and all were ghostwritten by either production staff (Frost, Lynch, some of the writers) or affiliated parties (Jennifer Lynch).

Still, incredibly exciting.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

N. Needleman wrote:This is pretty much what I expected, and it makes a lot of sense as it resembles much of the preexisting written TP media from the 90s; Laura's diary, Cooper's tapes, the town guidebook, all of those were 'found materials' and all were ghostwritten by either production staff (Frost, Lynch, some of the writers) or affiliated parties (Jennifer Lynch).

Still, incredibly exciting.
Great point. This really is consistent with the history of Twin Peaks worldbuilding.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

TheArm wrote:
dud wrote:TheArm, if you happen to know, could you possibly tell us if, even though it's not a conventional novel, it is still a novel with an overarching narrative simply told through different mediums? or is it more like a collection of related anecdotes?
That I don't know (and I doubt my relative does either). It did sound more like anecdotes from lots of different characters' lives in different media forms the way he was describing it, but I think it's too early to really say, and again, he only has a certain amount of access (and right now has absolutely no access to any of the plot/character specifics). But obviously I'll keep people posted if/when I learn any more. He just knew what the general macro concept is for the book (he described it as a "collage").
cool! thanks for the response!
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

A positive of that format, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's part of the reason it took such a shape, is that characters can easily be slotted in or out of the book. Maybe characters who are now unavailable for the series will instead get some form of due via the 'collage'.

I just hope it's still quite substantial and long. I'm more excited for this than pretty much any other cross-media thing right now, because, given that it feels like one of the few times a spin-off novel will actually be canon. I mean, I'm a Star Wars fan, but, I never was able to get into the novels because I always knew they'd be contradicted in the long run (or wiped off the face of the canon, as recently happened). This should be a true stop gap between seasons, and, frankly, I don't think another season will ever happen after this, so, presumably it'll never end up being contradicted, since it's being produced alongside the revival.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

TheArm wrote:I have a relative who works for Flatiron Books who was able to give me a tad more info on the book. He said it's not going to be a conventional, straightforward novel, but will instead be a mix of lots of different types of "written media"; there will be letters, emails, transcripts of phone conversations, conventional book chapters, newspaper articles, journal entries, case files, etc., in addition to cool art and photography too, which will interweave with the written portions. He said the goal is for the book itself to be its own piece of art, basically (and to sort of operate as a higher end coffee table-type book, it sounds like).

That sounds incredible! Honestly, that style of book is more my cup of tea than a straight-forward novel. I hope they can take some new promo shots of the cast before the book comes out and slot those in as well, as you mention art and photography being included.

Thank you so much for the info! :mrgreen:
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

This formatting news regarding the book is actually mildly disappointing to me. I was hoping for a novel. But honestly I'll take what I can get.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

I was hoping for a traditional novel as well, LonelySoul. Sounds like it may give a little more background information on certain characters and key events– things that will be nice to know about before watching the new episodes and deepen the viewing experience a bit, but not essential. I'll still purchase the book and enjoy it.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Mark Frost just shared a Facebook post from the Twin Peaks Italian Gazette (hello, Mario!) that restates the atypical format:

https://www.facebook.com/markfrostwriter/

"Vi avevamo promesso aggiornamenti sul libro di Mark Frost , The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks . Bene, da quel che si dice non sarà il classico romanzo con una trama lineare, ma un mix di diversi espedienti narrativi. Ci saranno lettere, email, trascrizioni di telefonate, parti romanzate ed articoli di giornale e soprattutto illustrazioni e fotografie. Lo scopo di questo libro è si fare da ponte con la serie in arrivo, ma anche di essere un'opera completa. Ovviamente il tutto è tenuto sotto il massimo riserbo e queste sono solo indiscrezioni che circolano in rete

Da nostre fonti certe sappiamo invece che il libro non uscirà prima dell'autunno, quindi passeranno circa 3-4 mesi dalla pubblicazione alla messa in onda dei nuovi episodi."

Auto-translated:

"We promised you updates on the book of Mark Frost, the secret lives of twin peaks. Well, from what they say will not be the classic novel with a linear plot, but a mix of different narrative expedients. There will be letters, emails, phone transcripts, parts lurid and newspaper articles and, above all, illustrations and photographs. The purpose of this book is it to do a bridge with the series coming in, but also to be a full-Scale Opera. Of course, everything is kept under the strictest and those are just rumors circulating in the network
From our sources certain we know instead of the book doesn't come out until the autumn, so they're about 3-4 months of the publication to the airing of the new episodes."
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

this is not actually mark frost's facebook page. its an unofficial fan page.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

beano wrote:this is not actually mark frost's facebook page. its an unofficial fan page.
Ah - thanks for the correction!
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne