'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/

Post by ForKeeps »

cart wrote:hmm I'll probably cancel my preorder if there is nothing post finale. I was looking for a little insight into what happened to the characters that are being dropped from season 3. I'll wait until more details emerge b4 I do though.

Yep, same here. I may still read it but I don't need to pay 20+ bucks so I can get it and read it on day 1. I can wait until the library gets a copy in.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

ForKeeps wrote:
cart wrote:hmm I'll probably cancel my preorder if there is nothing post finale. I was looking for a little insight into what happened to the characters that are being dropped from season 3. I'll wait until more details emerge b4 I do though.

Yep, same here. I may still read it but I don't need to pay 20+ bucks so I can get it and read it on day 1. I can wait until the library gets a copy in.
I have to respectfully disagree with folk not buying this book and cancelling orders just because a rumour surfaced that it may not include narrative post Ep 29. Has this rumour from the London book fest been completely confirmed? I'm taking it with a pinch of salt until it has. I'll be getting the book on release day with my own hard earned as a thanks to Mark Frost for resurrecting Twin Peaks, but I am a believer in using local libraries so if you ain't buying, please rent it from the library. Libraries are underused in the UK. I've got an 18 month old kid and the free events they put on for toddlers is just great. The more we use these local services, the better chance they have of staying open.

Sorry for the library rant there, a bit off-topic. But still, don't let a few rumours put you off buying this book if you can afford it. I'm sure it will blow our minds regardless.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I will be disappointed if it won't include anything post finale, but this book is still something they felt should be released right before the new episodes, so it's got to be relevant, exciting content one way or another. Besides, it's 304 pages. That's a lot of pages. The Access Guide covered everything from Lewis&Clark to a donut recipe serving a hundred people in 108 pages... thrice as much is going to be massive regardless.

We'll see if something surfaces during the book fair itself (in 2 weeks), but it looks like an industry-only event that's unlikely to be covered by the news.
...didn't someone on here straight-up ask the publisher or the agent for some confirmation back then? About the release date iirc? Would it be worth trying? They've got two conflicting descriptions, what's up with that?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Ped wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with folk not buying this book and cancelling orders just because a rumour surfaced that it may not include narrative post Ep 29. Has this rumour from the London book fest been completely confirmed? I'm taking it with a pinch of salt until it has..

I meant that I would cancel my pre-order if this is confirmed. I agree that we should not be jumping to conclusions based on this latest bit of info.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

laughingpinecone wrote:I will be disappointed if it won't include anything post finale, but this book is still something they felt should be released right before the new episodes, so it's got to be relevant, exciting content one way or another.
I don't think they are releasing it to prepare people with relevant info for the new season. That would be very daunting for any new time viewers who are unfamiliar with the series and might begin their journey into Twin Peaks at S3E1

I thought the reason they were releasing it before the new series was specifically for the old-time fans of the show who will want thousands of loose ends tied up before watching the new series. People who are dying to find out what happened to Pete after the bombing, Briggs reaction to Sarah's message and how he lived the rest of his life, all the drama with Big Ed/Nadine and Ben Horne/Donna, Leo's fate and a load of minor stuff like the details of the Ghostwood Estate deals. It would be really confusing to answer those questions during screen-time if they don't have any relevancy to the story of season 3, and would alienate new viewers.

If its mainly background and historical information that precedes the first series I don't feel that I will need to read it before S3. (I suppose if it goes into events of the last episode it could technically answer half of my questions, since by the time Cooper wakes up at least a night and part of a day have gone by.... ) Anyhow going to wait for more information.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

For me, going way back in time and read about the origin of Twin Peaks and its mysteries is just as, or more, interesting as reading about what happened after season 2. The book will be the highlight of this year no matter what.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

laughingpinecone wrote:We'll see if something surfaces during the book fair itself (in 2 weeks), but it looks like an industry-only event that's unlikely to be covered by the news.
I should be at the book fair - if I can get any more details on the book I'll post them here.
Shazbot

Post by Shazbot »

chalfont wrote:For me, going way back in time and read about the origin of Twin Peaks and its mysteries is just as, or more, interesting as reading about what happened after season 2. The book will be the highlight of this year no matter what.
Agreed
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Clueless wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:I will be disappointed if it won't include anything post finale, but this book is still something they felt should be released right before the new episodes, so it's got to be relevant, exciting content one way or another.
I don't think they are releasing it to prepare people with relevant info for the new season. That would be very daunting for any new time viewers who are unfamiliar with the series and might begin their journey into Twin Peaks at S3E1

I thought the reason they were releasing it before the new series was specifically for the old-time fans of the show who will want thousands of loose ends tied up before watching the new series. People who are dying to find out what happened to Pete after the bombing, Briggs reaction to Sarah's message and how he lived the rest of his life, all the drama with Big Ed/Nadine and Ben Horne/Donna, Leo's fate and a load of minor stuff like the details of the Ghostwood Estate deals. It would be really confusing to answer those questions during screen-time if they don't have any relevancy to the story of season 3, and would alienate new viewers.

If its mainly background and historical information that precedes the first series I don't feel that I will need to read it before S3. (I suppose if it goes into events of the last episode it could technically answer half of my questions, since by the time Cooper wakes up at least a night and part of a day have gone by.... ) Anyhow going to wait for more information.
Your second paragraph is exactly what I was expecting from the book's description. It feels so natural - wrap up the old plotlines for us nerds in the book (give beloved characters the space they deserve in the book) and start s3 with as clean a slate as possible. So elegant! Here's hoping that that rumor about emails was accurate and that we're still getting these loose ends tied up.

At any rate, they're selling it as a book that "readies fans for the upcoming Showtime episodes"... so whatever's in it, it's gonna have to keep a fine balance between being relevant (because they promised so) yet not necessary (because of course, as you say, new viewers and casual viewers can't be left behind). I trust them to have a good grip on the information flow of this coordinated project...

...and of course for the nerdiest of the bunch, pretty much any info they might print in there is super relevant and exciting. We'll be fine :)
Henrys Hair wrote: I should be at the book fair - if I can get any more details on the book I'll post them here.
Much appreciated, thanks!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Quote from Frost in an interview with Ojai Quarterly:
Currently, Frost is writing a companion novel, “The Secret History of Twin Peaks.”“I’ve just finished the first draft,” he says. “It goes back to the 18th century and weaves the tangled, mysterious history of the town, its people and the region, up through and including the events of the old series.”
This also makes it sound like the book ends where the series ends. :(
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I don't think we have any way of knowing. So many synopses have different wording and none explicitly deny the words in the first release. If indeed the book has 'emails,' for example, that has to go beyond 1989-1990.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

*EDIT for the sensitives

cracks me up
Last edited by wAtChLaR on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

1. that's not true

2. we'll continue to discuss it if we want. thanks for the input though.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

ForKeeps wrote:1. that's not true

2. we'll continue to discuss it if we want. thanks for the input though.

geez i wasn't being snarky

lol
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Whatever the content of this novel is, I'm eagerly excited to buy and read it. I want mythology details as much as possible and I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff about the citizens of the town too.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.