Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/

Post by Jerry Horne »

laughingpinecone wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Book Expo America:
I am completely shocked and elated that "THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM" is on that banner. Anyone else?

I guess I assumed Lynch/Frost would be moving onto new ideas and entirely new mysteries. This gives me great hope that they really are going to expound on the mythologies of the original series, especially in the book.
Here's an interesting tidbit from the cards!

Other than that, tagline + owl cave symbol makes me hope that Frost will expand on that bit of lore. I'm not convinced by owl cave as it stands, it's too rushed and there are a couple of apparently unexplained contradictions. And sure enough TP is, like, made of apparently unexplained contradictions, but it's different when they are intended. Whereas in that stretch of the show, they admitted to winging it on a couple of other subplots already so it could be just as rushed as it looks. But I'm sure all it takes to make it a lot more mysterious and intriguing is adding some more info, so, bring it on!
Not sure where that quote is from, but the Log Lady talks about owls in her cabin in the first season.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Not sure where that quote is from, but the Log Lady talks about owls in her cabin in the first season.
It's from the Star Pics cards! The Owl card, I think. I don't have scans of all of them so I cropped the transcript on glastonberrygrove!
And yeah, nice blunder on their part. Maybe they meant "the first time they're explicitly brought to Cooper's attention" (as opposed to Margaret being her usual cryptic self) but the wording is horrible.
I still think it's an interesting tidbit, though! The cards cover canon up to Leland's death... you'd think that clue just meant that the owls can be vessels for the spirits, but this makes it look like it's more than just that. Could be owl cave. Could be a dropped narrative thread. Could be something else still, since they're still using it for the book!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
It's from the Star Pics cards! The Owl card, I think. I don't have scans of all of them so I cropped the transcript on glastonberrygrove!
And yeah, nice blunder on their part. Maybe they meant "the first time they're explicitly brought to Cooper's attention" (as opposed to Margaret being her usual cryptic self) but the wording is horrible.
I still think it's an interesting tidbit, though! The cards cover canon up to Leland's death... you'd think that clue just meant that the owls can be vessels for the spirits, but this makes it look like it's more than just that. Could be owl cave. Could be a dropped narrative thread. Could be something else still, since they're still using it for the book!
Ah, gotcha! No wonder then.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
moonmadness76

Post by moonmadness76 »

The Log Lady says, "the Owls won't see us in here" when she brings Cooper, Truman, Hawk and Dr Hayward in for tea.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Well, now we know this book is going to come out roughly 6 months before the premiere, which kind of surprises me. I thought they'd be launching closer together.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Si78 wrote:Well, now we know this book is going to come out roughly 6 months before the premiere, which kind of surprises me. I thought they'd be launching closer together.
So we have enough time to enjoy it entirely.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Si78 wrote:Well, now we know this book is going to come out roughly 6 months before the premiere, which kind of surprises me. I thought they'd be launching closer together.
I suspect they did too. I'm still a bit flummoxed that they're now aiming for Q2, but I guess that's Lynch's insistence.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

The Owls are not what They Seem. After all these years, finally, this means to me something.

In my opinion this line is about the alien abductions. Don't forget that Major Briggs (Blue Book and the storyline of UFO) disappears and also the Log Lady (abducted by aliens)...

Many people abducted by aliens remembered those weird beings as owls, nocturnal birds.

Here's something interesting I found:

http://evelorgen.com/wp/tag/alien-abduction-and-owls/
Roomservice...
adamb26

Post by adamb26 »

Hey, I didn't notice mention of it on this thread, unless I've missed it..anyone know when they changed the text/description on the main teaser page for Frost's book?

http://us.macmillan.com/static/fib/twin-peaks/
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

adamb26 wrote:Hey, I didn't notice mention of it on this thread, unless I've missed it..anyone know when they changed the text/description on the main teaser page for Frost's book?

"will prep fans for the upcoming Showtime series like nothing else out there."
ya don't say? :lol: Post-series canon used to amount to all of two deleted scenes of FWWM and ten minutes of IC interview, now we're getting an entire book...
imho they did a good. It looks like a more accurate description now. Hyped up to high heavens, but hopefully it deserves all the praise and then some, and with its key selling points all lined up and shiny.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

piero wrote:The Owls are not what They Seem. After all these years, finally, this means to me something.

In my opinion this line is about the alien abductions. Don't forget that Major Briggs (Blue Book and the storyline of UFO) disappears and also the Log Lady (abducted by aliens)...

Many people abducted by aliens remembered those weird beings as owls, nocturnal birds.

Here's something interesting I found:

http://evelorgen.com/wp/tag/alien-abduction-and-owls/
This ^. While perhaps potentially an allusion to abductions at the time among other, it's interesting to ponder whether this line will be explored to some degree in the new series, or they will focus more solely on the psychology aspects. Or they will perhaps do all that and more (that, and also vedic, native american, as well as pure supernatural aspects included or at least allowed a window to exist so to speak) the way say finale and fwwm ended up being.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

adamb26 wrote:Hey, I didn't notice mention of it on this thread, unless I've missed it..anyone know when they changed the text/description on the main teaser page for Frost's book?

I know we have good intel that says otherwise but they are still avoiding any kind of language that implies that the book tells what happened between the end of the series and now.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

ForKeeps wrote:

I know we have good intel that says otherwise but they are still avoiding any kind of language that implies that the book tells what happened between the end of the series and now.
I've read more than once after the book's announcement, that the story will range from the 1800's until the last episode of the original show (here's one: http://www.cluttermagazine.com/node/7443 (Mark Snow :lol: )). I guess it's all a misunderstanding, but still it seems odd.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

it will definitely, 100% go beyond the end of series 2. Frost has said that the found documents that comprise the novel are a kind of dossier being assembled by [mystery character he refuses to name]. Obviously, this character will be in the new series and their investigation/research/whatever will have some bearing on events in the new series. No way these documents will stop at an arbitrary point 25 years before present day, that would make no sense. (Whether it goes right up to the start of s3 remains to be seen, of course).
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I think your first statement is pretty unlikely myself. I do believe the book will contain some post-finale info, but the question is how much? It may just be the last 5% of the book, an epilogue of sorts. Either war, it's still hard for me to believe that anything revealed in the book will be essential to understanding the new series. They just can't do that, basically.