'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Ross »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Ross wrote:Some quick thoughts:

1. Shame about the date. Was really hoping for 2014. Oh well.

2. If Norma's parents' last name is Lindstrom, where does Blackburn come in?

3. The Log Lady's maiden name appears to be Coulson, which is nice. But that tattoo is actually Major Briggs' tattoo, NOT Margaret's.
A vigorous SAME on all three. Maybe Annie is Norma's half-sister?

(there are triangles everywhere on the cover, maybe Frost is throwing us a curve ball with this tattoo reveal? I don't want to be hopeful but-)
Oh well- looks like we should be ready for some more continuity problems. I'm sure the book will be amazing, but those things will bug me. I wish a fan could have fact-checked. I mean I noticed the tattoo mistake right away. As I'm sure we all would.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Brad D wrote:I can't even describe how crazy it makes me with things like the wrong tattoo, and seemingly the wrong date (This story should pick up in 2014). Regardless - exciting trailer.
I didn't realize the tattoo was wrong! That makes me upset too. The book cover still indicates the second symbol, meaning there are two distinct symbols at play here. So perhaps it was retconned for a specific reason? If that's the case, I would forgive the error.

I think due to the show being delayed, the Gordon Cole letter date was changed as a result, since that letter likely leads right into the new season's stories. Maybe the show will be "27 years later" or they'll just fudge the original timeline a bit. It will probably still be loosely "25 years later" and there will likely be a subtitle to indicate as such in the new season.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Ross wrote:Some quick thoughts:

1. Shame about the date. Was really hoping for 2014. Oh well.

2. If Norma's parents' last name is Lindstrom, where does Blackburn come in?

3. The Log Lady's maiden name appears to be Coulson, which is nice. But that tattoo is actually Major Briggs' tattoo, NOT Margaret's.
First of all, that trailer is amazing. Utterly amazing.

These were my immediate reactions too. Perhaps Annie Blackburn was adopted?

It seems to me that there was more to Dougie Milford than we ever knew. I'm now convinced he must have some connection to the Lodges.

The dossier is found at a crime scene... wow.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I hear you guys re: the continuity errors, but then I guess TP has always been SO incredibly chockful of them for whatever reason that I'm happy to let these roll off. I agree that the tattoos seems like an easy thing to get right, but then you've got weirdly great continuity like the fact that Dougie Milford (who ever expected to see THAT name again??) is apparently going to play a role in the book's events.

(Either way, I'm so brainwashed and starved for TP content that I'll gladly take whatever they give me at this point!)
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

The initials of the recipient of the package are T P. Weird!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Perhaps Norma's mother had an affair with another man while still married? And Annie took that man's last name (Blackburn)? I mean the line in the series about their mom implies they had the same mother. Or- I guess their mom could have had both girls, then gotten re-married to Mr. Lindstrom, and Norma still referred to him as "dad". (Meaning both Annie and Norma had the maiden name Blackburn). Or they just ret-conned Annie out altogether. Who knows....
madeleineferguson wrote:Perhaps Annie Blackburn was adopted?
Or this.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

We finally have a birth date for Margaret - 10/10/40 and so much for her Access Guide reticence - which confirms her cards/Access Guide star sign.

MacLachlan's Twitter slip-up from a while ago gets confirmed with (assistant) director Gordon Cole.

And there's a Bob in the old journal pages, in the grand Twin Peaks tradition of having every other extra called Bob...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

"Big as a f****** house"
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

laughingpinecone wrote:We finally have a birth date for Margaret - 10/10/40 and so much for her Access Guide reticence - which confirms her cards/Access Guide star sign.

MacLachlan's Twitter slip-up from a while ago gets confirmed with (assistant) director Gordon Cole.
Wait you're saying this confirms or denies the accuracy of the Access Guide?

What was Kyle's Twitter slip-up?
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Possible origins/evolutions of BOB?

Denver Bob

Also, the person who sold Dougie Milford the Buick in 1947 appears to be named Bob. Bob J. Hart.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Ross wrote:Oh well- looks like we should be ready for some more continuity problems. I'm sure the book will be amazing, but those things will bug me. I wish a fan could have fact-checked. I mean I noticed the tattoo mistake right away. As I'm sure we all would.
Oh, I suspect that whatever continuity errors are in this book will be kid stuff compared to what we get in the series.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:We finally have a birth date for Margaret - 10/10/40 and so much for her Access Guide reticence - which confirms her cards/Access Guide star sign.

Wait you're saying this confirms or denies the accuracy of the Access Guide?

What was Kyle's Twitter slip-up?
It confirms it! All we knew so far was that she was a "self-professed Libra" (1 2). Now the cat's out of the bag, she's a Libra and was fifty-ish during the old seasons (I guess these new birth dates are going to be adjusted to the '91 timeline?)

I can't remember the context, it wasn't all that interesting, but he did call Lynch's character "director Gordon Cole"!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Wait you're saying this confirms or denies the accuracy of the Access Guide?
I was wondering that myself. I actually don't have the access guide, but was wondering if some of the history would match the history in that. But seeing as they didn't even get the tattoo right, who knows...
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

The letter from Gordon Cole is post dated: August 4, 2016. Hmmmmm.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The letter from Gordon Cole to the agent makes the 4Chan Twin Peaks rumor seem like it has a little bit of truth perhaps