'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Ross »

bob_wooler wrote:
Ross wrote:
dugpa wrote:Total agreement. Swapping the tattoos is just sloppy.
It's a head-scratcher for sure. If it does indeed end up being just a mistake, it really is awfully sloppy- and so easily avoidable. At this point though- who knows? Perhaps there's a reason behind it. No idea how- but we shall see.

The weird thing is, the correct tattoo for the log lady is actually featured on the cover of the book (underneath the dust jacket). I believe that was only seen in the leaked (then pulled) pics from this morning.
Well, there's always screenshots :) :
Yep! Thanks for that. You can see the Log Lady's correct tattoo symbol there at the bottom.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

Jerry Horne wrote:
sugarhigh wrote:Twin Peaks clearly has a need for a continuity department.
It's the downside to all the secrecy. Mark and David perhaps were the only ones working on this stuff and had maybe only a few people to fact check with.
Maybe this explains a certain someone still working at the Roadhouse, haha.
A salamander spit donuts.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

sugarhigh wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
It's the downside to all the secrecy. Mark and David perhaps were the only ones working on this stuff and had maybe only a few people to fact check with.
Maybe this explains a certain someone still working at the Roadhouse, haha.
No, they have that sorted!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Mark Frost's book tour dates up soon.

New York! 10/20
Minneapolis! 10/22
Los Angeles! 10/24
San Fransisco! 10/25
Portland! 10/27
Seattle! 10/29
San Francisco here I come! I wonder how early I'll have to get there to line up. It's a 4 hour drive.

Edit: per Mark Frost's retweet the San Francisco one will be an event in a theater in conjunction with a local bookstore. Interesting...
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

I have a very difficult time believing that, after working on this book for several years, neither Mark nor David noticed the tattoo discrepancy and simply "remembered it wrong." The rendering of the tattoo on the document is identical to the one portrayed on Major Briggs in the series. It is more accurate than I could've done from memory and I've watched the damn show at least a million and a half times in the last 25 years. They must have referred to the show when making that drawing and its impossible for them not to have noticed that the tattoo was on Major Briggs and not the Log Lady. Also, I believe we are making an assumption when we say the person on the physicians report is in fact the Log Lady. Although there are obvious similarities, we don't know that Coulson was her maiden name. There are many instances of mistaken identity and doubling in Twin Peaks (Laura and Maddy, MIke & Bobby/Mike &Bob, two Chalfonts?..). I think its also interesting how there is a lot of real life details mixed in to what we have seen of the book so far (Chief Joseph, Kenneth Arnold, the name "Coulson"). Combining fact and fiction like this makes it difficult to know what is real and what is fantasy or what is intentional and what is a mistake. I anticipate both the book and the new series will give us more questions than answers.
prophit

Post by prophit »

thefifthlizard wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Is the ominous sound playing over the video simply a VHS tape rewinding?
One theory so far has been that it's Coopers tape rewinding
https://www.sounddogs.com/sound-effects ... ard-548037

- Trichome
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

inconsistencies have been staple to the twin peaks narrative all along

i've just learned to let them roll off my back

excited for the book

thanks for the HD screenshots
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Ross wrote:
LonelySoul wrote:
Ross wrote:Or they just ret-conned Annie out altogether. Who knows....
If they did that I will be really pissed. Sure, not everyone loved Annie, but like it or not she played an important role in the end of season two, she had a brief appearance in the theatrical cut of FWWM and she was in the Missing Pieces. "How's Annie?" Come on, if she's gone, just... wtf.
Believe me- no one would be more pissed than me. But we shall see how they deal with (or don't) Annie...
Can't pull up a specific quote but I'm positive that I read with my own two eyes Mark Frost stating that "how's Annie?" will get a clear answer. Kmac on the other hand said that the answer "is complicated", but that still implies an answer.
I can see them ignoring characters if they just can avoid using them, and/or reshuffling some details. But not retconning away someone directly involved in an ongoing plot thread like she is, anyway...

Speaking of reshuffling details, the issue with Norma's postcard and the mysterious Blackburn surname is that it should date back almost exactly to the time of Annie's birth...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

laughingpinecone wrote:Speaking of reshuffling details, the issue with Norma's postcard and the mysterious Blackburn surname is that it should date back almost exactly to the time of Annie's birth...
Only if Annie was indeed supposed to be 19 or so. I always got the impression she was older. Norma would have been what like 18 by then? And that would have been a pretty late in life pregnancy for Vivian.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Question: Was the Smythe name ever actually used on the show? I just searched the scripts for the three episodes Vivian was in, and her name only appears in stage directions. I have MUCH less of a problem with them retconning a name that only appeared in the end credits and in scripts. (Heck, poor Maria Pulaski was changed to Suburbis; and even Mad Men retconned Betty's maiden name - her father was credited as "Gene Driscoll" in his first appearance).

Reading the observation reports made me think of Unquin's Field Observatory from the Access Guide, which Peyton/Engels seemed to be building up as a season 3 thing.

When I started reading the observation reports, I hoped they were observing owls. I'm a little disappointed that the book/series seem to be engaging in a somewhat traditional-seeming UFO storyline. Of course, this was part of the thread of season 2, and I'm sure Lynch/Frost will put their own incredible spin on it. But those sections of the materials aren't super exciting to me at the moment.

The other random stuff is terrific, though, especially the Cole letter (which gave me chills).
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

sneakydave wrote:Does anyone else think that the upcoming dates mentioned on the documents could be dates where we may get some further teasers for the show?
Wasn't the trailer released prematurely in response to the leaked pages? Perhaps the trailer was slated for August 3rd, the date on the box.

Also they could relate to the show's upcoming time-line. If the FBI agent is a character, receives the dossier August third 2016 and has to investigate "ASAP", they should be in Twin Peaks trying to figure out who gathered the documents the same week, but since they filmed during the equinox I imagine the events of the show are either in fall or spring. Who knows?- the show could technically depict events before or during this dossier's creation.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:
I dunno about that - from what we've seen of the book, it seems like the TV show's prop department may have been involved. If Frost and Lynch created all these documents on their own (with all sorts of different handwriting, aging/distressing of paper, etc.), that's a HELL of a task. I know Lynch is pretty handy, but I've never heard that he has the skills of a professional propmaster.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
Agreed! They needed a superfan to fact check. Many of us have the show pretty much memorized after 25 years. Mark and David may have only watched it a couple times(?)
That's what CBS did on the Entire Mystery Blu. :)
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

Anyone else find it strange that Dougie Milford's enlistment form doesn't name a next of kin? The document lists him as married, plus we know he has a brother.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Crazy thought of the day: What if Annie was actually Norma's daughter, not Vivian's?

Off the top of my head, we don't really know when Norma married Hank. Right? Norma could have gotten pregnant from Ed, and the panic from that could have been what caused her to go off with Hank that weekend, which in turn caused Ed to go off with Nadine. Or Annie could be the daughter of Norma and Hank, or Norma and some unknown guy. Blackburn could be a completely fictitious name. Norma was too young to raise Annie on her own, so Vivian was her mother, for all intents and purposes.

As for the Symthe surname... Vivian could have married multiple times. It certainly would have fit with her characterization during Season Two.