'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by laughingpinecone »

Norma things off the top of my head:
- Annie says that she had her bad experience during her senior year and then was in convent for 5 years. That puts her at 22 minimum. Some wiggle room upwards imho, but no younger than 22.
- Norma won Miss Twin Peaks 20 years earlier which doesn't really tell us much.
- The cards put her as Harry & co's peer (which also makes sense with their mutual ties in Ed and Hank), 39 years old when Laura died.
- Actually we do know when Norma and Hank ran off, it's in Ed's ep8 background exposition! Senior year of high school iirc? She was more or less 17, and there appear to be approximately 17 years between her and Annie, hence my previous post. (Or maybe Ed doesn't say they were straight out of high school? I remember that he does, but I can't fact check right now...)
- I also think that Vivian is the sort of person who could'vemarried any number of times...

I want to believe that there is some of ott soap opera explanation that can tie all/most of this together... For example Annie being Norma's daughter, sure, why not!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

The difference in age between Norma and Annie always confused me. Now, with the Lindstrom/Smythe/Blackburn name confusion, it seems like there's more to the story. Annie's true parentage could just be another one of the town's secrets.

The postcard is from 1969. That's around when Annie would have been born. Norma could have gone away to have the baby in secret.

And yeah, it seems a little Peyton Place, but Twin Peaks has always been that way.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Maybe Frost/Lynch just forgot that Annie was even supposed to be Norma's sister...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I doubt they forgot Annie. I'm just used to a variety of continuity errors, but I bet they'll come up with some fix on that.

That being said, yes, I always suspected there might be a Peyton Place-esque twist revealing Annie to be Norma's daughter.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Ross wrote:Maybe Frost/Lynch just forgot that Annie was even supposed to be Norma's sister...
It could be that Annie and Norma have different fathers but the same mother hence the different surname...
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

MysteryMan wrote:
Ross wrote:Maybe Frost/Lynch just forgot that Annie was even supposed to be Norma's sister...
It could be that Annie and Norma have different fathers but the same mother hence the different surname...
I seriously doubt they forgot that Image
And I agree with Mystery Man. First time we see Annie on the show and she talks about Vivian with Norma, doesn't look like they had a very close mother-daughter relationship, which would explain why she would use her father's surname.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Regarding continuity errors, as Peaks fans we're all used to them, but the tattoo exchange is pretty...sloppy.
I sure hope this is intentional, otherwise God knows what else might expect us.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

They will have the correct tattoo in the book. Even if it's just a sticker on the page ;)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: RE: Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
I seriously doubt they forgot that
Ha- yeah I was just kidding (sort of). Seriously though- at least on the old show, I don't think they gave a ton of thought to the back stories of the characters. The show was really about the characters moving the plot along. We knew zero about Shelly's parents. We never knew exactly how Maddy was related to the palmers (we discussed this recently), and Annie was invented late in the game, so they made her Norma's sister as a way to introduce her. It will be interesting to see if the book gives more insight to some of the characters.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:They will have the correct tattoo in the book. Even if it's just a sticker on the page ;)
Ha! Good idea if the books are indeed all printed already! :D
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Since the Secret History of Twin Peaks is a dossier that was assembled with a purpose, I'm assuming that every single document in it is relevant to the central mystery of Twin Peaks. Everything somehow relates to Cooper's disappearance, Project Blue Book and/or the Lodges. The compiler (and Mark Frost) were shrewd in what they included. Even something as benign as a sales receipt for a Buick in 1947 was included with a real purpose.

This principle might seem obvious, but it's a big shift from the original books. In Laura's Secret Diary and Dale's Autobiography, we had to sift through a lot of extra information to find the interesting stuff, and I was sort of anticipating doing the same thing with the Secret History. I'm very glad that's probably not the case!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

New York 10/20
Minneapolis 10/22
Los Angeles 10/24
San Fransisco 10/25
Portland 10/27
Seattle 10/29
United Kingdom tba
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Jerry Horne wrote:New York 10/20
Minneapolis 10/22
Los Angeles 10/24
San Fransisco 10/25
Portland 10/27
Seattle 10/29
United Kingdom tba
Hopefully he makes it to Scotland as well and not just London...
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Smiling Bag
Roadhouse Member

Post by Smiling Bag »

Regarding Annie, going out on a DARK limb here, but considering the underlying Laura/Leland incest theme, what if............Norrma is Annie's mother but they SHARE the same father. Perhaps Vivian looked the "other way" at what had happened and that is why the girls have an estranged relationship with her.

I know that is dark, but it just kinda hit me.
Smiling Bag
Roadhouse Member

Post by Smiling Bag »

Also, her last name is interesting.........Black (lodge).......Burn (Fire)..........I'm grasping, but I've had a few Bourbon Barrel aged stouts this evening so my next post will probably just be emoticons and drool.