'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Si78
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Si78 »

beano wrote:tickets are on sale now for mark frost's event at the roxie in san francisco! price of the ticket includes a copy of the book. ive got mine! so excited.. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2587133
I lived in SF for 6 years and I never even heard of the Roxie. Looking at pictures online, it looks like a really cool venue, but also very small. This one could sell out fast!
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

Si78 wrote:
beano wrote:tickets are on sale now for mark frost's event at the roxie in san francisco! price of the ticket includes a copy of the book. ive got mine! so excited.. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2587133
I lived in SF for 6 years and I never even heard of the Roxie. Looking at pictures online, it looks like a really cool venue, but also very small. This one could sell out fast!
the roxie is an awesome venue! built in the early 1900's. 234 seats. tickets probably will go fast. but i had to do some digging to find that the tickets went on sale today. neither the roxie nor booksmith (who is putting on the event) have posted links to the ticket website yet. so get your tix before it becomes common knowledge!!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

beano wrote:
Si78 wrote:
the roxie is an awesome venue! built in the early 1900's. 234 seats. tickets probably will go fast. but i had to do some digging to find that the tickets went on sale today. neither the roxie nor booksmith (who is putting on the event) have posted links to the ticket website yet. so get your tix before it becomes common knowledge!!
Yes thank you so much. I had actually checked Booksmith's and Roxie's websites this morning and neither had a way to buy a ticket (still don't).
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

...damn, I'm in SF three months early.
Here's hoping that since he's bothering to come to Europe, he'll come visit the mainland too... And if the prices include a localised copy, my mother still needs hers.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

The one downside of these signings is that we buy the book twice, or we wait longer until our events to get it. :shock:

I may just do the audio upon release and then read it after the signing... But then again do I want to paw through the signed copy? Decisions, decisions...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Si78 wrote:The one downside of these signings is that we buy the book twice, or we wait longer until our events to get it. :shock:

I may just do the audio upon release and then read it after the signing... But then again do I want to paw through the signed copy? Decisions, decisions...
While an audio version of the book read by Frost sounded terrific when we first heard about it, now that we've seen the materials, it seems like a really poor investment. The listener is going to miss out on a TON of visual material. Furthermore, many things we've seen are the sort of material that might be great to scrutinize for an hour, or cursorily scan in a few minutes (depending on how detail-oriented / obsessive you are), but not at all interesting to hear read in a straight fashion. Is Frost going to read, for instance, the UFO observation logs straight through? That would be pretty boring to listen to. The more we learn about this book, the less sense the existence of an audio version makes...
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

sorry to interrupt, quick question
where are folks finding the ticket sales announcements for the signing events
thanks
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

wAtChLaR wrote:sorry to interrupt, quick question
thanks
the san francisco event tickets went on sale yesterday, but no major announcement has been made. the booksmith (the bookstore putting on the event) still hasnt posted any link on their website to the ticket website. i had to prowl around and figure out what ticket website they used and then go search directly on that website. maybe they are purposely not making major announcements? i dont know.. i would suggest stalking the company that is putting on the event in the city you want to go to. or keep checking back here, as im sure there are others doing the same thing.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

beano wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:sorry to interrupt, quick question
thanks
the san francisco event tickets went on sale yesterday, but no major announcement has been made. the booksmith (the bookstore putting on the event) still hasnt posted any link on their website to the ticket website. i had to prowl around and figure out what ticket website they used and then go search directly on that website. maybe they are purposely not making major announcements? i dont know.. i would suggest stalking the company that is putting on the event in the city you want to go to. or keep checking back here, as im sure there are others doing the same thing.
thank you very much
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
While an audio version of the book read by Frost sounded terrific when we first heard about it, now that we've seen the materials, it seems like a really poor investment. The listener is going to miss out on a TON of visual material. Furthermore, many things we've seen are the sort of material that might be great to scrutinize for an hour, or cursorily scan in a few minutes (depending on how detail-oriented / obsessive you are), but not at all interesting to hear read in a straight fashion. Is Frost going to read, for instance, the UFO observation logs straight through? That would be pretty boring to listen to. The more we learn about this book, the less sense the existence of an audio version makes...
I was thinking the same thing- it would be absurd to here Frost read those logs, or the information off a hospital record, or a car dealership form (let alone the dozens of foodstuffs and their prices on the Double R Diner menu!)

I almost expect the audio-book to, at times, have somewhat different content that better matches its form. Perhaps the FBI agent has a similar habit as Coop did with a tape-deck and we'll be hearing purported recordings of him/her taking off-the-cuff mental notes as they riff through the documents.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Clueless wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I was thinking the same thing- it would be absurd to here Frost read those logs, or the information off a hospital record, or a car dealership form (let alone the dozens of foodstuffs and their prices on the Double R Diner menu!)

I almost expect the audio-book to, at times, have somewhat different content that better matches its form. Perhaps the FBI agent has a similar habit as Coop did with a tape-deck and we'll be hearing purported recordings of him/her taking off-the-cuff mental notes as they riff through the documents.
I suspect that when the book is released, the pages and associated documents that don't lend themselves to recitation will be available at thesecrethistoryoftwinpeaks.com .
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I've been wondering the same about the audio book ever since it was announced. My fave hypothesis remains my friend's: "it's all read by Lucy who painstakingly describes every single detail of every single picture" :mrgreen: but seriously, I can't wait for an announcement to clear things up.

An optimistic thought about our little tattoo issue: according to the report, Margaret's marking just as she got it looks the same as Garland's tattoo just as he got it. Maybe hers changed with time, maybe Garland's changes too? For some reason that's yet to be disclosed? You know what, it would make marginally more sense to me than two people getting two separate parts of a symbol. I'd be down with this kind of small-time retconning...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

About audiobooks: aren't they usually meant for blind people and people who have problems with their eyesight? That's the case at least in my country. I mean, there's no need for fancy pictures if you can't see them. Or am I way off?
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Regarding Margaret's tattoo - It changing over time isn't even seriously far-fetched. Tumors change over time. That means, (in a Twin Peaks context) it's not even far-fetched at all. I rather want to believe that than assuming Frost, Lynch et. al made a continuation error. Those were excusable in the 90's but now with the internet age and all the social media contacts it sort of no longer is and one would assume they would have more vigilance.