'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OneandtheSame

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by OneandtheSame »

Someone has probably mentioned this, but it could be the first concrete sign polarity has flipped in the new season.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

OneandtheSame wrote:Someone has probably mentioned this, but it could be the first concrete sign polarity has flipped in the new season.
What "polarity" are you referring to? It's an intriguing statement. . .

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I don't know about the novel but I don't think the series will retcon the date. I think they'll just say '25 years later', not 2014 or 2017.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Ross wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:
Ross wrote:Since Annie (seemingly) won't even be in S3, we might not get any answers to these questions.
Ross, I was starting to feel hopeless about Annie Blackburn too... and then that video teaser of the book came out.

Norma's only real connection to the disappearance of Cooper, Project Blue Book and/or the Lodges is through Annie. The inclusion of Norma's Hollywood postcard in the video proves that she's got to be related to it all somehow. The compiler of the dossier didn't include Norma's seemingly oblique postcard for no reason. It's got to be related back to the central mystery, somehow.
This is an interesting point about the book that I hadn't thought about. I wonder if it will indeed ONLY contain things contained in the dossier? Or if there will be other elements? I had figured we'd find out how Audrey survived the bank explosion for instance. But since it's seemingly unrelated to the Cooper case...
I'm thinking from what Frost said and from the teaser that the Secret History of Twin Peaks is only the dossier. A scrapbook consisting of documents that all appear to relate back to one thing, the central mystery of Twin Peaks.

As for the bank explosion... since one of the major paranormal events of Twin Peaks was Cooper and Annie entering the Black Lodge at Glastonbury Grove, I think the compiler would want to document all the major town events that happened around that time, in case they could be related. The compiler would be collecting any possible documents of interest over the years, flying blind. I think he'll include major events of the town, including the opening of the Double R and the Great Northern.

For me, Dougie's receipt for the Buick and the postcard from Norma are the two documents that jumped out during the teaser. Out of all the thousands of receipts and postcards the compiler could have chosen, over decades, he chose to include those two. There has to be a reason behind his choice.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I find the description of the book as a "novel" is weird if it only involves a load of documents, but it makes sense to do that.

This year is passing really quickly, much quicker than I had feared! The book is nearly upon us, and I haven't even had time to start rewatching the series yet (am planning to watch with a mate who has never seen it, but we are never both in our home town at the same time).
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

baxter wrote:I find the description of the book as a "novel" is weird if it only involves a load of documents, but it makes sense to do that.

This year is passing really quickly, much quicker than I had feared! The book is nearly upon us, and I haven't even had time to start rewatching the series yet (am planning to watch with a mate who has never seen it, but we are never both in our home town at the same time).
Depending on when you start watching and how quickly you watch, you could catch up to us on the Reddit page and participate in our rewatch. We're currently discussing season's two's second episode (Coma). We do two episodes a week, then the film and TMP, which will put us completing things two days before the book's release.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mark Frost is very aware that the series takes place 1989.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Jerry Horne wrote:Mark Frost is very aware that the series takes place 1989.
Second-best news I've heard all day.
Then we'll just have to trust Mark Frost, won't we... I'm rather belligerent toward Mark Frost but when push comes to shove I can't say there's anything he's said or revealed since s3 was announced that I've found less than stellar. Love his attitude in interviews, tweets and all the material revealed so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that these apparent contradictions - at least the big ones - are just that: apparent.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Has he said this recently?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:
Has he said this recently?
Not publicly that I'm aware of.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Why the belligerence to MF???

laughingpinecone wrote:
Second-best news I've heard all day.
Then we'll just have to trust Mark Frost, won't we... I'm rather belligerent toward Mark Frost but when push comes to shove I can't say there's anything he's said or revealed since s3 was announced that I've found less than stellar. Love his attitude in interviews, tweets and all the material revealed so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that these apparent contradictions - at least the big ones - are just that: apparent.

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

What's to be belligerent at Mark Frost about? I don't get it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Wouldn't it be fun if the book ended with the actual airdate of S03E01? Wouldn't it be fun...?

Days left to book release: 77

Keeping my hopes up (I'm optimistic) and my fingers #crossedforfrost :-)
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

N. Needleman wrote:What's to be belligerent at Mark Frost about? I don't get it.
Folks are putting the cart before the horse over the clues in the teaser video. Methinks we should reserve judgment until after it's actually been released.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

That doesn't necessarily mean he cares?