'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

baxter wrote:Apologies if this has already been suggested, but if there is a second volume, it might indicate that the series will be split into two parts.

Then the second book would come out between the two blocks of shows. i.e. this might tie in with the 9->18 hour expansion.
If volume 2 will cover the gap between end of S2 and beginning of S3 I think it should be released before the premiere.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

For what it's worth, I asked a relative who is an exec @ Flatiron, about the Vol. 1/2 business. It sounds like this book, The Secret History of Twin Peaks was originally envisioned as THE main tie-in book for the new series; it's the same book that was initially announced back in late 2014 (when it was titled The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks). There was not a plan originally for more than 1 book, so this book is the one Mark Frost and Flatiron have always been talking about releasing. However, the demand and the pre-sales for Secret History and its audiobook have been so big, and so much bigger than they had anticipated, that it has opened up a discussion about a second volume, and that there was/is a conversation about re-titling this book "Volume 1." From what he told me, it does not sound as though like there is another secret book sitting around waiting to be released and that this has always been the plan, but there IS indeed a real conversation currently about now creating a second volume.

Now, how they could generate a second book in the relatively brief window between now and May-ish 2017 (?) seems a little hard/unlikely, but I guess one never knows in the weird world of TP!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Huh, interesting. Thank you for this invaluable bit of insight! Guess it explains Frost's "stay tuned"...
...but it stops explaining the discrepancy between the first bold announcement that it would cover the 25 years gap and subsequent whispers that it would stop at the s2 finale. So what's up with that?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

That is good, and relieving news that it isn't just a last minute decision to split the book or anything.

Keep in mind too that's Frost is a pretty prolific writer; he could've always been intending to do another Peaks novel and in the process of putting some pieces together; maybe this reception just accelerated that. I mean, who knows how much material over the years he might've jotted down. Even just since him and Lynch started writing again (which is what, like five years at this point?)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Even if the book coming out next month is the "one and only" book planned from the beginning, there was still a shift in direction at some point then, right? The fact that it doesn't really cover the post-series time frame is different than what was first announced.

I'm looking forward to whatever comes our way. WE ARE GETTING NEW TWIN PEAKS!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I've seen a lot of people frustrated about the book and stuff giving their reasons being because they've waited this long for it and it's not what they first thought.

Guys!! Don't let your impatience spoil your enjoyment of this. We've all waited a long time, But be patient and let them tell the story how they see fit.

We all want to know what happens next, but don't get FWWM syndrome.
A lot of people didn't like it at first because it didn't carry on where the series had left off, but it's an essential piece of TP that we love and people realised that later.

Enjoy the book. It's part of the amazing world of Twin Peaks and it's going to be another piece of this beautiful story.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

i would only be disappointed if twin peaks gave me exactly what i wanted or expected.
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

The more books the better. I've waited so long for this I'll be buying as much TP stuff as I can get my hands on
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Something is odd to me, we seem to suddenly be assuming that this book does not cover post season 2 events. I see numerous references to unnamed sources, whispers etc. but nowhere have I seen any statements to the fact directly from a credible or non-credible individual. Who and where does this rumour come from? Until something reliable turns up, should we not assume that this is the book we were promised?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

eyeboogers wrote:Something is odd to me, we seem to suddenly be assuming that this book does not cover post season 2 events. I see numerous references to unnamed sources, whispers etc. but nowhere have I seen any statements to the fact directly from a credible or non-credible individual. Who and where does this rumour come from? Until something reliable turns up, should we not assume that this is the book we were promised?
There are people who have already read the book.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Yeah, honestly, even if this book was the ONLY new bit of TP we were getting, it would already be 1000% more new Twin Peaks than I ever dreamed I'd see in my lifetime, let alone somewhere between 9-18 brand new episodes. Honestly, this is all so much more than I ever expected, I'm just grateful at this point for whatever the TP gods deign to give us. If they do decide to write another book to cash-in on the excitement/pre-sales, I say bring it on!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Ross wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Something is odd to me, we seem to suddenly be assuming that this book does not cover post season 2 events. I see numerous references to unnamed sources, whispers etc. but nowhere have I seen any statements to the fact directly from a credible or non-credible individual. Who and where does this rumour come from? Until something reliable turns up, should we not assume that this is the book we were promised?
Did these people say anything? Off the top of my head, in one camp we have a bunch of synopses that say "from Lewis-Clarke to the cliffhanger", starting from the... London Book Fair? down to this latest page for an autographs session that also mentioned the vol.1 thing. In the other, the original description of the book, the trailer/framing narrative being set in the present and the word of Frost's literary agent when answering a direct question. The official synopsis (the one from the official site) is basically the shrug emoji in this regard. Anything I missed? :o
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

TheArm wrote:Yeah, honestly, even if this book was the ONLY new bit of TP we were getting, it would already be 1000% more new Twin Peaks than I ever dreamed I'd see in my lifetime, let alone somewhere between 9-18 brand new episodes. Honestly, this is all so much more than I ever expected, I'm just grateful at this point for whatever the TP gods deign to give us. If they do decide to write another book to cash-in on the excitement/pre-sales, I say bring it on!
I feel the same- I often wake up and just think "We are getting NEW Twin Peaks!!! Holy crap."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Ross wrote:
Did these people say anything? Off the top of my head, in one camp we have a bunch of synopses that say "from Lewis-Clarke to the cliffhanger", starting from the... London Book Fair? down to this latest page for an autographs session that also mentioned the vol.1 thing. In the other, the original description of the book, the trailer/framing narrative being set in the present and the word of Frost's literary agent when answering a direct question. The official synopsis (the one from the official site) is basically the shrug emoji in this regard. Anything I missed? :o
Yes- I believe the info of very limited narrative taking place post-series comes from people in the know.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Ross wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
Ross wrote: There are people who have already read the book.
Yes- I believe the info of very limited narrative taking place post-series comes from people in the know.
Oh dear. If that's the case, here's hoping these massive sales are convincing Frost & Flatiron to come up with something to cover the gap, be it before or after s3 airs. There's at least one specific character who's gonna have very limited screentime in s3 and I would pay money to know what they've been doing these past two decades and a half... (and Annie, etc etc)

This is the post I was referencing, I just did some snooping to make sure I wasn't dreaming it up:
Henrys Hair wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:
Henrys Hair wrote:News from London Book Fair - the book goes right back to the 18th century and right up to... the start of the forthcoming series. :D
Do you have a link? This is great to hear.

edit: I see now it was tweeted out by Jerry Horne. Is this info from someone on the ground in London, Jerry?
No link, I'm afraid - it was verbal info from Frost's agent. I asked him if the book went up to the end of the previous series and he said it goes right up to the start of the next.

We only had a short conversation, so I didn't really get any other details (and no early versions of the book were there, although I hadn't really expected them to be).