'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Ross »

PRE-ORDER NOW UP AT AMAZON US -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/125007 ... 1_1&sr=8-1

*UPDATE* - Audio CD also available to pre-order.

---------------------------------------------------

Full press release here: http://macmillan.supadu.com/images/ckfi ... -16-14.pdf

The Twin Peaks news keeps on coming!! I guess this will be a way of filling in a lot of the gaps without having to cram all that backstory into those 9 new episodes. Who knew we'd be getting all these gifts the last few years and the next years to come!
Attachments
SHofTP.jpg
SHofTP.jpg (4.9 MiB) Viewed 33238 times
Screen shot 2014-10-16 at 9.02.37 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-10-16 at 9.02.37 AM.png (123.37 KiB) Viewed 37895 times
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season Three confirmed for 2016 on Showtime

Post by Murray »

I can't wait for the book. Sounds great. Every week is like Christmas right now.

Every so often I forget Twin Peaks is coming back and then I remember and it always makes me smile.
JumpWithSigma&Phi

Post by JumpWithSigma&Phi »

Wou-hou! Great! Can't wait to be next year!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I guess they can write-out Donna in the book... :)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

JumpWithSigma&Phi wrote:
ACES!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I guess this will be a way of filling in a lot of the gaps without having to cram all that backstory into those 9 new episodes
Great point. In addition to being a whole lot of fun - and an opportunity for Frost to really move forward on that Twin Peaks-as-novel idea that was also tossed around - this is the perfect way to get exposition out of the way. The 2016 show should be as little nostalgia & tying up loose ends as possible; better to focus on plunging deeper and deeper into the mystery of that world. Like the season 2 premiere without all the catch-up scenes...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
I guess this will be a way of filling in a lot of the gaps without having to cram all that backstory into those 9 new episodes
Great point. In addition to being a whole lot of fun - and an opportunity for Frost to really move forward on that Twin Peaks-as-novel idea that was also tossed around - this is the perfect way to get exposition out of the way. The 2016 show should be as little nostalgia & tying up loose ends as possible; better to focus on plunging deeper and deeper into the mystery of that world. Like the season 2 premiere without all the catch-up scenes...
I'm guessing that since Frost is writing this, and its sort of being released in conjuncture with the new series (a bridge between season 2 and the new series/season), that this will be considered "canon", more so than the Diary & Cooper autobiography?
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Ross wrote:I guess they can write-out Donna in the book... :)

No no no no NO NO NO!!!!!!

while I agree they can do that now I do NOT like this news at all. his sounds like a band aid, a quick fix to any actors they cant get to appear and to me it is extremely lazy to let us know the resolutions to the cliffhangers we saw on tv in novel form. he show should be the first time we see these people again. with Frank silva dead and Michael Anderson hedging his bets I get the feeling this book will just be an excuse to write out people and to create new characters they will use on the show.

For all we know the Cooper cliffhanger will be resolved in the novel and the show that airs may be nothing like what we were left with as a cliffhanger on the series. his is actually infuriating to me. I have always seen novels to mythology shows like X-Files and star wars to be a cheap way to fan service people without having to put the work in.

what happens if the Lodge mystery gets wrapped up in the book, Cooper is rescued and when the showtime series airs it involves an all new Lodge. what if we never get to SEE the resolution we waited 25 years for. I want to know if Ben lived, if Audrey lived. If Leo ever made it out. But I want to know these things on the show as it progresses, not in some cheap novel.

Im sorry if I sound like a dick or a downer, but I am NO impressed by this news at all. It is lazy and not what we deserve.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
kingsoprano718 wrote:I never said there shouldn't be light at the end of the tunnel. In my opinion the final episode should be the citizens rebuilding and getting their town back after defeating the lodge. The ending HAS to be finite and decisive. I don't think they'd dare make the same mistake again.
I'm not sure about this. I doubt it will be as stomach-dropping an open-ended cliffhanger like the season finale (especially since that was written to keep the show going rather than conclude it). But Lynch certainly isn't interested in emphatic resolution (hell, even Straight Story has an ambiguous ending; the last of his films to close off all the narrative avenues and answer our questions was Wild at Heart 24 years ago, unless you consider the question of how the hell they get out of the traffic jam!). And Frost may no longer be as concerned with closure as he was when he allowed Laura's storyline to end. In a 2010 interview (supposedly before he and Lynch began discussing a return again, so he wasn't false-flagging) he compares the end of Twin Peaks to the end of Sopranos and says that he's come to appreciate that open-ended quality.

I do think we'll get more closure than we had but I don't think everything will be tied off with a nice bow.

There's also something else to consider...this isn't necessarily going to be the last piece of Twin Peaks. The beautiful thing about a short-run miniseries is that it doesn't force Lynch/Frost to create a perpetual-motion machine the way a 22-episode network order does, but it still allows them plenty of avenues for continuation.
double wearing a denim jacket who we only see in the shadows
No! Finding a double would be the worst option imo, and hiding him in the shadows would defeat the purpose of Bob whose terror lies in the fact that he intermingles with the everyday world: appearing in daytime visions, crawling over a living room couch, murdering someone inside the family home, etc.
is have BOB consume Lodge Leland.
Yes! If you mean having Wise/Leland be the new "face" of Bob - the jean-jacketed Silva easily could be the man who asked little Leland if he wanted to play with fire; I love the idea of each generation of victim-turned-victimizer embodying the abstract spirit of Bob.
Im sorry I should have been clearer. here is no one that will ever replace silva. And I have no interest in a long term double running around. ou conveyed my feelings perfectly. I think one scene or a flashback of a double approaching Leland in the Lodge and morphing into him could be all we need to wrap up BOB and have Leland become the new face of BOB. If they did have a guy running around in a jean jacket it would make me sick! LOL

And I agree the show does not need a nice tidy ending. he only way it does is if Lynch decides he is absolutely done and this is the final word on Peaks. hen it should end. But if this is a gateway to see if it a big enough hit to warrant another run, which I am sure they will know by episode 4 or 5, then I agree I welcome several cliffhangers.

Perhaps like the 24 mini series? It can be a definite ending but if they want to revisit there is still story left?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

kingsoprano718 wrote:
Ross wrote:I guess they can write-out Donna in the book... :)

No no no no NO NO NO!!!!!!

while I agree they can do that now I do NOT like this news at all. his sounds like a band aid, a quick fix to any actors they cant get to appear and to me it is extremely lazy to let us know the resolutions to the cliffhangers we saw on tv in novel form. he show should be the first time we see these people again. with Frank silva dead and Michael Anderson hedging his bets I get the feeling this book will just be an excuse to write out people and to create new characters they will use on the show.

For all we know the Cooper cliffhanger will be resolved in the novel and the show that airs may be nothing like what we were left with as a cliffhanger on the series. his is actually infuriating to me. I have always seen novels to mythology shows like X-Files and star wars to be a cheap way to fan service people without having to put the work in.

what happens if the Lodge mystery gets wrapped up in the book, Cooper is rescued and when the showtime series airs it involves an all new Lodge. what if we never get to SEE the resolution we waited 25 years for. I want to know if Ben lived, if Audrey lived. If Leo ever made it out. But I want to know these things on the show as it progresses, not in some cheap novel.

Im sorry if I sound like a dick or a downer, but I am NO impressed by this news at all. It is lazy and not what we deserve.
I understand this reaction. And in some ways I feel similar, especially since TP is so much about the visuals, the music, the mood. Its one reason I never wanted TP to be concluded in a graphic novel or book. On the other hand, this IS being written by Frost himself, so it isn't a cheap knock-off. And its being made in conjunction WITH the upcoming series. I'm sure this is all part of opening it up and creating a bigger story/picture. I kept asking myself how in the world they were going to put in so much backstory into 9 episodes, and this seems like a very reasonable way to do it. I think it will be more about laying the groundwork and filling in gaps rather than skipping over important things you'd rather see in the episodes themselves. I don't expect a Cooper resolution in the book for instance.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

David Lynch directing another season and Mark Frost writing a book.

It's gone beyond opinion into fact now. Twin Peaks is the best thing ever.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks novel by Mark Frost - late 2015

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mark Frost just confirmed to me that news on foreign editions are forthcoming.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks novel by Mark Frost - late 2015

Post by Jasper »

I very much welcome this news.

I don't know what the book will or will not include/resolve. I don't think we should jump to conclusions.

The fact is, regardless of how we feel about Twin Peaks in written form, 25 years HAVE PASSED, and we will never see those actors at their various ages over that time performing those roles on the screen (especially those actors we've lost). Those 25 years exist, in that universe. As mentioned in another thread, it could be very freeing for Mark and David to be able to pursue their real inspirations for the Showtime incarnation without being hamstrung by needing to use a big chunk of those nine hours on exposition covering the last 25 years. This could let them dig deeper and go further.

Instead of hearing about what happened to Major Briggs in exposition, Major Briggs can speak again. I know I'll hear Don S. Davis' voice in my head.

If Pete Martell survives the bank explosion in the post-second-season universe, he can speak again. I know I'll hear Jack Nance's voice in my head.

The book could also bring to life the Elderly Room Service Waiter (Senior Droolcup), and Mrs. Tremond/Chalfont. If there is absolutely no way to coax Al Strobel out of retirement (though I hope there is a way) the book could help deal with Gerard/MIKE. I suppose there's also the possibility of Michael J. Anderson playing the complete MIKE, as he basically does in the above-the-convenience-store scenes, but right now we don't even know if MJA will return (though I pray he will).

Perhaps this book will even help explain Silva's absence, or BOB's change of appearance, if the new season doesn't use a lookalike, archival footage, cgi.
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

The Book will be released in Germany, too. That's great. But should I read the book, before Season 3 starts ? I think, i won't.
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

euro wrote:The Book will be released in Germany, too. That's great. But should I read the book, before Season 3 starts ? I think, i won't.
I'm fairly certain that the purpose of the book is to provide a bridge between season two and season three on Showtime, hence the timing of the release. I wouldn't worry that the book will spoil the events of season three. My guess is that the book will free them so that they don't have to spend all of season three explaining what happened in the last 25 years.