'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by kitty666cats »

motorcycleaupairboy wrote:
Leo K wrote:I was skeptical about the book but now have it and started reading it. Wow, it immediately grabbed me and put me back to the Twin Peaks I love. There's a certain feeling I get with the series and this book gives me that same feeling. I'm happy and look forward to Frost's writing. I'm more of a Frost man than a Lynch man as the years go by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absoloutely, I was kind of put off the book from the lukewarm reaction it seems to have gotten, but having almost finished it I think it's brilliant.
Whilst not the ''big reveal'' everyone was kind of expecting I think it's great.

On a sidenote I had a thought today whilst reading the rest of the novel. As we know there are many instances of events/characters that are ''twinned'' or dopplegangers in the show, if not literally then thematically. For example we all know there is an evil Leland and a good Leland (possibly) literally, as well as themeatic mirroring within the narrative (Bob and Mike i.e the spirits mirrored by Bob and Mike the humans, name wise at least.)
The description of the dossier at the beginning is very reminiscent of the two mill account books Catherine created in the series. It seems to have the same awkward rectangular shape and is the same dark green colour:

But what if that goes beyond just a visual link. Catherine used the two green ledgers to deceive others around her to cook the mills books. What if the dossier we are reading isn't the only one. Much like Catherine used the 2 ledgers to change facts and figures, I believe the ''Secret History'' we are reading is possibly an edition of 2, the other being the ''Real'' history of Twin Peaks. This would account for all the (intentional) inconsistencies and forged documentation within. It still doesn't solve who is trying to deceive whom though.
Ooh! Good catch! I wonder if it's just a coincidence...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Leo K wrote:I was skeptical about the book but now have it and started reading it. Wow, it immediately grabbed me and put me back to the Twin Peaks I love. There's a certain feeling I get with the series and this book gives me that same feeling. I'm happy and look forward to Frost's writing. I'm more of a Frost man than a Lynch man as the years go by.

Absoloutely, I was kind of put off the book from the lukewarm reaction it seems to have gotten, but having almost finished it I think it's brilliant.
Whilst not the ''big reveal'' everyone was kind of expecting I think it's great.

On a sidenote I had a thought today whilst reading the rest of the novel. As we know there are many instances of events/characters that are ''twinned'' or dopplegangers in the show, if not literally then thematically. For example we all know there is an evil Leland and a good Leland (possibly) literally, as well as themeatic mirroring within the narrative (Bob and Mike i.e the spirits mirrored by Bob and Mike the humans, name wise at least.)
The description of the dossier at the beginning is very reminiscent of the two mill account books Catherine created in the series. It seems to have the same awkward rectangular shape and is the same dark green colour:

But what if that goes beyond just a visual link. Catherine used the two green ledgers to deceive others around her to cook the mills books. What if the dossier we are reading isn't the only one. Much like Catherine used the 2 ledgers to change facts and figures, I believe the ''Secret History'' we are reading is possibly an edition of 2, the other being the ''Real'' history of Twin Peaks. This would account for all the (intentional) inconsistencies and forged documentation within. It still doesn't solve who is trying to deceive whom though.
Very interesting. Laura also had a diary and there ended up being a second. Mark even lifted the word secret.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
motorcycleaupairboy

Post by motorcycleaupairboy »

Jerry Horne wrote:

Very interesting. Laura also had a diary and there ended up being a second. Mark even lifted the word secret.
Good point! Also we know that Bob ripped out pages in Laura's diary as a means to hide his activities, again misdirection within the form of a book or journal. The obvious answer to me is that this is Bob again, now in the guise of Cooper, omitting people's history's and adding sections as to divert attention away from the lodges during an investigation. Much like Bob/Leland tried to ''delete'' his interaction with Laura, I believe Bob/Cooper is trying to ''delete'' any trace of Annie as she is the key to rediscovering the lodges.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

motorcycleaupairboy wrote:Much like Bob/Leland tried to ''delete'' his interaction with Laura, I believe Bob/Cooper is trying to ''delete'' any trace of Annie as she is the key to rediscovering the lodges.
But how would Annie be the key? Because she had been there, and thus knows the location? But if we place ourselves in Annie's shoes, I think after the brief glimpses of Windom she had contact with before going into the lodge that she would have little of concrete use to say.

This is the main source of headache for me in trying to determine why anyone would omit certain details from the dossier -- if they were erasing Annie's existence from the book, that doesn't stop an investigator from questioning the right people and determining her existence. The town's collective memory can't possibly be so fickle as to seemingly go along with whatever this fake dossier no one knows about says.

And Gordon Cole himself saw Annie.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

AXX°N N. wrote:
motorcycleaupairboy wrote:Much like Bob/Leland tried to ''delete'' his interaction with Laura, I believe Bob/Cooper is trying to ''delete'' any trace of Annie as she is the key to rediscovering the lodges.
But how would Annie be the key? Because she had been there, and thus knows the location? But if we place ourselves in Annie's shoes, I think after the brief glimpses of Windom she had contact with before going into the lodge that she would have little of concrete use to say.

This is the main source of headache for me in trying to determine why anyone would omit certain details from the dossier -- if they were erasing Annie's existence from the book, that doesn't stop an investigator from questioning the right people and determining her existence. The town's collective memory can't possibly be so fickle as to seemingly go along with whatever this fake dossier no one knows about says.

And Gordon Cole himself saw Annie.
I think that by the double book theory, this one is supposed to be the real one like Laura's secret diary or Catherine's secret book. Otherwise there'd be two fake ones and there isn't much point to that.

The problem i'm having with the omitted/changed details and the omission of Annie is that there's no apparent reason for it in the book. These things are close to irrelevant within the context of the book if you think about it. I mean someone reading the dossier wouldn't be left with the impression that every single resident is covered or that the details of the lives of Norma, Ed or Nadine are meant to be much more than gossip. Within the topics the dossier covers Annie is only relevant to Norma's story. It's within reason that they are half sisters and the two didn't grow up together which is why Annie wouldn't be mentioned within Norma's stories.

The assumed reason for Annie's omission of course has to do with the S2 finale and Coop who is hypothetically who would have modified the dossier. But again the obvious questions are why would he do that and what does it achieve? No one is going to care much about what's in a secret dossier to make sense out of what happened to Annie (and possibly Cooper) simply because there's no need for it. There's more information elsewhere as there are witnesses and a modified dossier isn't going to outweigh that.
I think if the omission is supposed to be the whole point of the book than I really don't like how it's executed. As it is it feels mostly like how agent Preston finds out about UFO secrets and within that Annie isn't that important.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I don't actually see anything like this happening, but what if Episodes 17-28 of the show were basically a dream - BOB left Leland and his biggest trick was getting everyone to forget about him. The strobing lights and smoke that arrive after Annie's crowning pull the town back into a sense of communal horror, essentially waking them out of the dream that's consumed them since basically forgetting about the very recent murders of Laura and Maddy. Despite the fact that I'm not crazy about the execution of the scene nor Windom Earle, the imagery links to the surreal strobing lights of the Black Lodge.
So what I'm getting at is that maybe as a way to reconcile with the weaker stretch of the show, it might be looked back upon by the town's citizens as a hazy memory - like a fuzzy dream that wasn't quite real, a dream that protected them from the evils they were exposed to.
Harry Dean Lynch

Post by Harry Dean Lynch »

Got this as a Christmas gift and it looks great. Am going to read it soon. Should give me some good insight and some ideas too.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Controversial opinion time: it's a lavish book and gets thoroughly engaging about halfway through, then it becomes tedious and a bit of a bore despite bits of coolness distributed throughout, not to mention the ending which I did enjoy. A chunk of it felt phoned in though. Maybe that's just me however.
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

That last post was now from two hours ago. I'm a huge fan of the book, not that I've had any solid explanations for the discrepancies, but this tweet really grabbed my attention.

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Oh bless his heart (and his easily screencappable answer next time this topic comes around)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

With 2 months and 2 days left, it remains fun leading and an open mystery.

laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

REdKing wrote:With 2 months and 2 days left, it remains fun leading and an open mystery.

Trying to imagine the ways it will connect to the new episodes - and the ways it will have explored otherwise uncharted territory - remain an incredibly fun topic of conversation! 8)

Love your icon, btw, where's it from?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

laughingpinecone wrote:
REdKing wrote:With 2 months and 2 days left, it remains fun leading and an open mystery.

Trying to imagine the ways it will connect to the new episodes - and the ways it will have explored otherwise uncharted territory - remain an incredibly fun topic of conversation! 8)

Love your icon, btw, where's it from?
Thank you. Yes, I am excited for the possibilities as well. The avatar came from the cover of one of Bruce Phillips' collectors catalogs from August 1998.

timeandtide

Post by timeandtide »

OK, I can't believe I am just realizing this, so I'm sorry if everyone else just rolls their eyes and tells me they figured that out months ago, but for all the discussion of if the mistakes are intentional/why Frost would intentionally make mistakes, has anyone looked at the title?

"The Secret History of Twin Peaks"

It's right there. Remember what the Archivist tells us about secrets vs. mysteries...