'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by mlsstwrt »

I got this yesterday and admit I'm only part way through. I've skimmed through this thread and there seems to be universal acclaim for this book from what I've read but apologies if that isn't the case.

Does anybody else NOT like this book? For me the whole beauty and magic of Twin Peaks was how self contained it was. I'm not really interested in how the lovely, dreamy, isolated world of Twin Peaks ties in with US history, conspiracy theories, illuminati, etc. I hated all the X-Files UFO type stuff in the second season of Twin Peaks. Save it for the X-Files, Twin Peaks was meant to be so much more than that.

Laura was a little girl completely alone in the woods. Now she's part of some huge, sweeping historical landscape involving US presidents and various other famous figures. It doesn't sit right with me at all.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

mlsstwrt wrote:I got this yesterday and admit I'm only part way through. I've skimmed through this thread and there seems to be universal acclaim for this book from what I've read but apologies if that isn't the case.

Does anybody else NOT like this book? For me the whole beauty and magic of Twin Peaks was how self contained it was. I'm not really interested in how the lovely, dreamy, isolated world of Twin Peaks ties in with US history, conspiracy theories, illuminati, etc. I hated all the X-Files UFO type stuff in the second season of Twin Peaks. Save it for the X-Files, Twin Peaks was meant to be so much more than that.

Laura was a little girl completely alone in the woods. Now she's part of some huge, sweeping historical landscape involving US presidents and various other famous figures. It doesn't sit right with me at all.
There really wasn't much UFO stuff going on in the second season - in terms of this book, the UFO elements could also be a red herring. Much of the book can't be taken as read - the key word is after all, 'secret.'

Didn't FWWM bring Twin Peaks into a larger landscape, with Deer Meadow, the FBI offices - in the deleted scenes, Buenos Aires?

A lot of the book does concentrate on the town itself and does deal with the Palmer case in a sensitive and meaningful way, I felt.

If you wanted a Secret Diary Part 2, this book wouldn't be the first thing to pick up, but it serves its own purpose I feel - and it does it very well indeed! In fact it increases the mystery and anticipation for the new season.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:I got this yesterday and admit I'm only part way through. I've skimmed through this thread and there seems to be universal acclaim for this book from what I've read but apologies if that isn't the case.

There really wasn't much UFO stuff going on in the second season - in terms of this book, the UFO elements could also be a red herring. Much of the book can't be taken as read - the key word is after all, 'secret.'

Didn't FWWM bring Twin Peaks into a larger landscape, with Deer Meadow, the FBI offices - in the deleted scenes, Buenos Aires?

A lot of the book does concentrate on the town itself and does deal with the Palmer case in a sensitive and meaningful way, I felt.

If you wanted a Secret Diary Part 2, this book wouldn't be the first thing to pick up, but it serves its own purpose I feel - and it does it very well indeed! In fact it increases the mystery and anticipation for the new season.
Thank you. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance yet. You're right that FWWM expanded Twin Peaks beyond that town's borders. But Deer Meadow always felt like the very dark flip side of Twin Peaks (although I know Twin Peaks has its own dark side!). Buenos Aires - it was a deleted scene and very short.

I'm in love with the small town murder mystery side of Twin Peaks and the very personal story of Laura. I'm just not that keen on having the goings on there placed into a far wider context, involving many historical figures, freemasons, illuminati, etc. I kind of feel like it dilutes and cheapens the Twin Peaks universe I love so much.

But that's just me and I haven't finished the book yet. I'm glad a lot of you are enjoying it.
Ghoul

Post by Ghoul »

There are/have been some people who don't/didn't like the book, yes. Some of them even posted here regularly on the subject. However, doing so got them into quite fervent arguments with the majority of other forum members and now they're gone (maybe they were banned?), so my advice to you would be, if you're going to pursue this line of thought on this board: PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

To answer your question myself (and then I'll keep quiet on the subject): I share your opinion of the book, didn't like it all that much, was expecting something else altogether. But then again, that's probably my own fault for not tempering my expectations - that early promo for the book (about it bridging the narrative gap between seasons One and Two blah-blah-blah) had me salivating for two years (that's approximately how long the wait for this "novel" was), so getting an entirely different thing in the end was a HUGE letdown for me. And that's even before we begin (don't worry, we, or at least I, won't) to discuss the continuity gaffes that're - according to what seems to be the fandom consensus currently - supposedly intentional, conditioned by what's coming in season Three. However, I'd put supposedly in cursive...
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Yeah, I'm right there with 'ya. I love Twin Peaks and it's wonderful characters. It was a show that I thought (at least in season 1) was about the duality of man, the darkness in our hearts, the underbelly of the American dream. To me, tying it into goofy conspiracy theory inspired storylines involving UFOs (I cringe) really undercuts all of that and I just hate the idea.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Thanks Ghoul and Dead Dog. I don't want to offend anybody or get into arguments so I'll drop this. Glad most people seem to be enjoying this but this just isn't for me.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

There are/have been some people who don't/didn't like the book, yes. Some of them even posted here regularly on the subject. However, doing so got them into quite fervent arguments with the majority of other forum members and now they're gone (maybe they were banned?), so my advice to you would be, if you're going to pursue this line of thought on this board: PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION.
lol I'd have thought paranoiacs would find much to enjoy in a book of conspiracy theories
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Ghoul wrote:There are/have been some people who don't/didn't like the book, yes. Some of them even posted here regularly on the subject. However, doing so got them into quite fervent arguments with the majority of other forum members and now they're gone (maybe they were banned?), so my advice to you would be, if you're going to pursue this line of thought on this board: PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION.
I wouldn't say that. This forum is here for people to discuss their thoughts- both positive and negative. But we just ask that people are respectful of other members and of people in general. You can be disappointed in the book without bashing Frost or others' opinions.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Dead Dog wrote:Yeah, I'm right there with 'ya. I love Twin Peaks and it's wonderful characters. It was a show that I thought (at least in season 1) was about the duality of man, the darkness in our hearts, the underbelly of the American dream. To me, tying it into goofy conspiracy theory inspired storylines involving UFOs (I cringe) really undercuts all of that and I just hate the idea.
The so called bad stretch of season 2 already did undercut a lot of that stuff. Personally I think it's honest of F & L to acknowledge that part of the show instead of erasing it completely and pretend it didn't happen ( I use the word erase instead of retcon, I'm a bit tired of the misuse of that word) and pretend that TP ended with episode 16. TP has always been the most interesting to me when it's looked upon with a meta-perspective. It's the show that was one thing and became something else entirely. Looking at it with a meta perspective like that it's so much more inspiring to analyze the different episodes and the vast quality difference between them. One can argue the change happened more than once, how it went from an ordinary detective show to something supernatural to something that abandoned the original storyline. Now in season 3 it is my belief that they will tie all these styles together, all while expanding the thing in yet further unexplored territory. I think it's the only real and honest way to do it. That being said: TSHoTP still seems easiest to handle when looked upon as deutero-canon for me (Frost's vision of what TP can be instead of Lynch's and his joint vision). I do believe UFOs will show up in season 3 though but they will most likely give another explanation for them and not just copy X-files explanation.
TheGreatWent

Post by TheGreatWent »

I understand and appreciate the sentiments of Twin Peaks (the town) being a world unto itself, full of secret relationships and eccentricities, but the theme from day 1 has always been about the corruption of innocence. Laura's murder upended the town in every way possible (including supernaturally), and garnered the attention of the outside world - both figuratively and literally. The rest of the world has "finally caught up" with TP. And with Cooper's predicament, there is just no way to continue to be disconnected from the surrounding universe. That is precisely why the setting needs room to grow and become even more meta. The connections were there all along, but were overlooked or denied by a sleepy town populace caught in a cozy dream - one that must now awaken to the horrors of what lies outside its borders (as well as within its own heart). As we, the viewers, look back in on our beloved community, so will the rest of the world.

Twin Peaks will remain the heart and focus of the story, but there are new chapters to explore. There are consequences to the actions of the first two thirds of this tale, and limiting the narrative once the stakes have risen would only serve to put TP back into its box on a dusty shelf. We have spent 25 years in suspended animation. I will follow this new path to whatever unexpected place it leads.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

TheGreatWent wrote:I understand and appreciate the sentiments of Twin Peaks (the town) being a world unto itself, full of secret relationships and eccentricities, but the theme from day 1 has always been about the corruption of innocence. Laura's murder upended the town in every way possible (including supernaturally), and garnered the attention of the outside world - both figuratively and literally. The rest of the world has "finally caught up" with TP. And with Cooper's predicament, there is just no way to continue to be disconnected from the surrounding universe. That is precisely why the setting needs room to grow and become even more meta. The connections were there all along, but were overlooked or denied by a sleepy town populace caught in a cozy dream - one that must now awaken to the horrors of what lies outside its borders (as well as within its own heart). As we, the viewers, look back in on our beloved community, so will the rest of the world.

Twin Peaks will remain the heart and focus of the story, but there are new chapters to explore. There are consequences to the actions of the first two thirds of this tale, and limiting the narrative once the stakes have risen would only serve to put TP back into its box on a dusty shelf. We have spent 25 years in suspended animation. I will follow this new path to whatever unexpected place it leads.
A beautiful post.
As a humble addition - Twin Peaks is also, to put it in Frost's words, "a mythological experience", or "a magical smokescreen" in Margaret's. Symbols are universal in nature. It only feels natural (and exciting!) to explore the ripples outside town, to see how Twin Peaks and its babes in the woods reflect and is reflected by the world at large.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Boy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Boy »

TheGreatWent wrote:I understand and appreciate the sentiments of Twin Peaks (the town) being a world unto itself, full of secret relationships and eccentricities, but the theme from day 1 has always been about the corruption of innocence. Laura's murder upended the town in every way possible (including supernaturally), and garnered the attention of the outside world - both figuratively and literally. The rest of the world has "finally caught up" with TP. And with Cooper's predicament, there is just no way to continue to be disconnected from the surrounding universe. That is precisely why the setting needs room to grow and become even more meta. The connections were there all along, but were overlooked or denied by a sleepy town populace caught in a cozy dream - one that must now awaken to the horrors of what lies outside its borders (as well as within its own heart). As we, the viewers, look back in on our beloved community, so will the rest of the world.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Embrace!
samhayel

Post by samhayel »

Hello everybody,

I'm sorry if the answer to my following question has already been answered. I have searched on the board, but I haven't read all threads.
Could someone please could confirm that the audiobook CD has separate tracks for the different sections and chapters of the novel ?
Sorry, maybe a silly question, but I just need to check that before ordering the CD :)
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Don't know to what extent this topic has been discussed but nevertheless, I'm curious; Does anyone else have any ideas about what the grid pattern adorning the book could be about? It always strikes me as being like fencing. With this whole thing about Hanford and season 3 rumours of an explosion, I can't help but see it, in one respect, as like fencing around some kind of facility. May be taking things into unwanted X-Files territory, but it's an idea I'm fascinated with. My first post on this forum was about wondering what Unguin's Field Observatory was, from the Access Guide.

I suppose it could easily be something more symbolic, like the Owl Cave symbols. It just seems too uniform to give me that impression at the moment though.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM