'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks' new novel by M. Frost 2

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Jonatan Silva wrote: Que bacana. De onde você é? Ahh... eu não pago 80 reais nem em sonho... hehehe
SP. You?
Yeah, most TP fans love the Diary. I have a friend who says it's the best book he ever read in his life :roll:
It's not a bad book, Jennifer did a nice effort trying to recreate a teenager's diary, I just don't like Jennifer's work in general, I think she's a little over the top, and the Diary is no exception.
Scott Frost on the other hand did a great job recreating Cooper's psyche. My Life, My Tapes is a much better book in my opinion.
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Jonatan Silva wrote: Que bacana. De onde você é? Ahh... eu não pago 80 reais nem em sonho... hehehe
SP. You?
Yeah, most TP fans love the Diary. I have a friend who says it's the best book he ever read in his life :roll:
It's not a bad book, Jennifer did a nice effort trying to recreate a teenager's diary, I just don't like Jennifer's work in general, I think she's a little over the top, and the Diary is no exception.
Scott Frost on the other hand did a great job recreating Cooper's psyche. My Life, My Tapes is a much better book in my opinion.
I'm from Curitiba.
I just got in touch with the Frost's book seller to buy this one. I'm really interested in getting it.
If I find a Jeniffer's Dairy I'll buy it too but not for 80 reais.

Do you know if there's any TP fest in Brazil?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Jonatan Silva wrote:
I'm from Curitiba.
I just got in touch with the Frost's book seller to buy this one. I'm really interested in getting it.

There isn't. Only in the US and the UK.
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Jonatan Silva wrote:
I'm from Curitiba.

There isn't. Only in the US and the UK.
It's a shame.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks: Season Three confirmed for 2016 on Showtime

Post by Jonah »

Any news or updates regarding Mark Frost's TP novel? I'm wondering if that's still going ahead, irregardless of whatever happens with the Showtime show.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Jonah wrote:Any news or updates regarding Mark Frost's TP novel? I'm wondering if that's still going ahead, irregardless of whatever happens with the Showtime show.
No news. I have a relative who works for the publisher so I'll see if I can get any inside scoop at all. (I asked him about it once before a couple months ago and he told me that all info on the novel was super hush-hush and on lockdown as they were terrified of any info leaking.) My guess is that at some point in the near future we'll get one big announcement that gives the definitive state of affairs on all of this, the novel included. But if I get any inside skinny I will of course share!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

TheArm wrote:
Jonah wrote:Any news or updates regarding Mark Frost's TP novel? I'm wondering if that's still going ahead, irregardless of whatever happens with the Showtime show.
No news. I have a relative who works for the publisher so I'll see if I can get any inside scoop at all. (I asked him about it once before a couple months ago and he told me that all info on the novel was super hush-hush and on lockdown as they were terrified of any info leaking.) My guess is that at some point in the near future we'll get one big announcement that gives the definitive state of affairs on all of this, the novel included. But if I get any inside skinny I will of course share!
Thanks. That would be great. I'm really excited about the novel. I hate the title though "The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks." It sounds very 80's or soap operaish (and not in the good parody way). But otherwise, very excited for the novel!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Jonah wrote:
TheArm wrote:
Thanks. That would be great. I'm really excited about the novel. I hate the title though "The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks." It sounds very 80's or soap operaish (and not in the good parody way). But otherwise, very excited for the novel!
I was also excited for the book, and totally agree re: the title. I had hoped that was just a working title. Given that the novel seemed like it was being positioned as an appetizer to the Showtime series, I have a hard time imagining that it would still come out if the TV series were scrapped, but I guess one never knows. Maybe the publishing company doesn't necessarily care what Showtime does, I'm not sure. Maybe the show falling apart increases the value of the novel as a stand-alone item. Or maybe it taints it.

Ugh, I cannot believe it's been 2 1/2 weeks and we haven't heard news yet re: the future (or lack thereof) of the project. It is just insane to me. I think it took Warner Bros. 24 hours after Michelle MacLaren left the Wonder Woman movie to announce that Patty Jenkins was in and that everything was moving forward. I cannot imagine what is going on behind the scenes that could be causing this. (Though I suppose my biggest fear is that *nothing* is really going on behind the scenes.) I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I cannot believe what a massive bummer this whole project has turned into. (And yes, I too feel twinges of fury whenever I read stuff about how quickly Fuller House seems to be progressing. It just feels like salt in the wound!!!)
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

I'm sure I'm projecting but it feels like the malaise is spreading. At this point the book will be like reading about a cool roller coaster that will never be built.

Frost's restraint on all this has been saintly cause he has as much to lose as anyone. Probably more cause Lynch can pivot back into a feature film. Frosts last film experience, even if not his fault, has made a pivot back in to film less likely.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

TheArm wrote:
Jonah wrote:I'm really excited about the novel. I hate the title though "The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks." It sounds very 80's or soap operaish (and not in the good parody way). But otherwise, very excited for the novel!
I was also excited for the book, and totally agree re: the title. I had hoped that was just a working title
I took the title as a reference to The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.

In the devastating event that the show didn't go forward, I'd definitely still want to read the book. If that were the situation, perhaps Frost could even turn the Lynch/Frost scripts into an additional novel, especially considering that the scripts would be likely to leak at some point.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Kmkmiller wrote:I'm sure I'm projecting but it feels like the malaise is spreading. At this point the book will be like reading about a cool roller coaster that will never be built.

Frost's restraint on all this has been saintly cause he has as much to lose as anyone. Probably more cause Lynch can pivot back into a feature film. Frosts last film experience, even if not his fault, has made a pivot back in to film less likely.
I'm not sure I see Lynch pivoting back into a feature film. I do see him pivoting back into his art, music and especially all of his TM activities and foundations, which have seemed like his real passion (over cinema) for the past dozen plus years. And Frost seems to be doing pretty well as a novelist, so I imagine that's what he would return to. I am sure neither will starve if the new TP doesn't come to pass!
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

Jasper wrote:I took the title as a reference to The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.
As did I... and I actually like the title because of this reference/connection. It lends to cohesiveness. Secret Lives by itself would probably be a more intriguing title (some might say cheesy/soap opera-esque, but in a way, that would be fitting too). Lynch's work has always possessed an inherent naivety. Having Twin Peaks as part of the title adds so much name recognition as well. With that being said, I do hope that the new novel is a more serious work, as opposed to Secret Diary, which I view as a novelty item. The quality of the writing is no different from that of the average movie tie-in novel. I'd like Secret Lives to be something closer to Frost's other work, such as The List of Seven for example. A serious work that just happens to involve the cast and world of Twin Peaks.

Lastly, out of this entire debacle, I feel the worst for Frost, actors, and the crew. As TheArm mentioned, Frost and Lynch won't starve should anything not come to pass in regard to the new season, but from my understanding, a lot of these actors could use the work, and the filming could employ a lot of people.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I thought the Secret Diary was absolutely essential.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Nightsea
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nightsea »

Something that I found unintentionally funny... how in the world did Laura find the time to be involved in all of her supposed hijinks? She has to be more of a supernatural being than Bob. Apparently she was:

Organizing/participating in Meals On Wheels
Dating both Bobby and James
Tutoring Johnny Horne
Tutoring Josie
Sleeping with Josie
Sleeping with random truckers
Abusing drugs
Visiting Harold and dictating her diary to him
Sleeping with Ben Horne
Working at One Eyed Jacks
Working as a prostitute with Teresa and Ronette
Being abused by her father/Bob
Participating in late night orgies at Leo's cabin
Making confessional tapes for Dr. Jacoby
and so on... I've probably missed a few (mountain picnics with Donna among them).

She definitely put some miles on the family car!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Jasper wrote: I took the title as a reference to The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.
Believe it or not, I didn't think of that, despite it seeming to stare me in the face with the word "Secret". Okay, that makes me feel a little better about the title. Not a lot. But better! Thanks for pointing that out.

Jasper wrote: In the devastating event that the show didn't go forward, I'd definitely still want to read the book. If that were the situation, perhaps Frost could even turn the Lynch/Frost scripts into an additional novel, especially considering that the scripts would be likely to leak at some point.
Agreed. I still want to read the book, no matter what happens with the Showtime series, though obviously I'm hoping it comes back as a series. If it doesn't, then yes, that is a good idea, for perhaps having a novel with the new scripts. So TP would be concluded in two novels. It's not ideal, far from it, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, if the series fell through, especially if Lynch co-wrote some of the narrative.
Nightsea wrote: With that being said, I do hope that the new novel is a more serious work, as opposed to Secret Diary, which I view as a novelty item. The quality of the writing is no different from that of the average movie tie-in novel. I'd like Secret Lives to be something closer to Frost's other work, such as The List of Seven for example. A serious work that just happens to involve the cast and world of Twin Peaks.
^ THIS! So much, this. All the other TP books were fairly ok. The Secret Diary is probably the best but still not, in my opinion, quite up to the standard of the novels I'd usually read (possibly due to the fact of how young Jennifer Lynch was when she wrote it). While enjoyably written and fun, and certainly not bad by any means, both the diary and "The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes" by Scott Frost son were very much tie-in novel quality, I agree. (The diary was the best of the two, though, due to some fairly ambitious, disturbing, and visceral scenes.)

But yes, am so hoping the new Frost TP novel could surpass the "tie-in" quality, and also be more than simply a filling-in-gaps/wrapping-up-storylines book, and be up to the quality and depth of "The List of Seven." I suppose it depends how long he's been working on it, and whether they are aiming it as just a tie-in. He did say it had been a dream project of his, so am hoping that implies a high-quality book with a mostly standalone narrative and not just a series of "sequences" or "catch-ups" in the intervening 25 years.

(Btw, Nightsea is such a great username. Very literary/otherworldly vibe. Love it!)