'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Post by Dead Dog »

^ I share these feelings as well. I also enjoy being sucked into the cozy little world of Twin Peaks, where everyone knows everyone else, where the town and it's quirky inhabitants' secrets keep the mystery moving. Now, I like season 2 more than many fans do, but this is where my issues with it do lie-- all of this outside influence just expanded the story too much for me.

And the new book really disappointed me. Admittedly, I've grown bored with the Illuminati/Secret Society conspiracy material, it's old hat to me, I've been reading that stuff for going on twenty years now, so I'm probably a little biased in that regard. But all of the convenient ways so much history led to the death of a Homecoming Queen in the tiny little NW town of Twin Peaks seems way too out there for me. Just not a fan of it at all. To me, even the idea of Leland Palmer being possessed by a demon and not really being responsible for what he did to his own daughter took a lot of steam out of the tragedy. I'm hoping the book is Mark Frost's baby and that Lynch supported this to placate his musings but that, at the end of the day, Lynch isn't going to let any of the Lewis & Clark, LBJ, UFO, etc. mumbo jumbo seep into the series itself. Twin Peaks was ahead of it's time, this Illuminati/Shadow government material is kind of tired and worn out in my honest opinion.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

I recently asked whether anyone here thought this book in and out of itself was not a good idea to begin with - some of the reasons why I believe that were articulated now in the previous two posts. Ever since the description I was very much skeptical about it, since the mystery of Twin Peaks was essential in what made it so attractive and compelling. Peeling away the layers of mystery of that town and put it in a framework of American historical fiction seemed unnecessary. I was positive that I was in the minority, not so much that I'm the only one. In any case, I still have to read the book, but pretty much everything I've heard about it has moved me away from it a bit more. I have read the first leaked pages and I do enjoy Frost's writing, but I'd rather go to season 3 without any prior knowledge from literature which can, but must not be canon for me. I'm glad people enjoyed it though.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:I recently asked whether anyone here thought this book in and out of itself was not a good idea to begin with - some of the reasons why I believe that were articulated now in the previous two posts. Ever since the description I was very much skeptical about it, since the mystery of Twin Peaks was essential in what made it so attractive and compelling. Peeling away the layers of mystery of that town and put it in a framework of American historical fiction seemed unnecessary. I was positive that I was in the minority, not so much that I'm the only one. In any case, I still have to read the book, but pretty much everything I've heard about it has moved me away from it a bit more. I have read the first leaked pages and I do enjoy Frost's writing, but I'd rather go to season 3 without any prior knowledge from literature which can, but must not be canon for me. I'm glad people enjoyed it though.
I couldn't even finish the book. I know that probably diminishes my credibility as a critic of said book. It's not bad writing or anything, I just don't care about any of the subject matter that I actually did read. I don't want the answers to all of the mysteries. They aren't mysteries anymore once that happens. And beyond the artistry, the beautiful use of color, the intuitive editing, the extraordinary use of sound, the stilted acting and quirky characters, what draws me to the work of David Lynch more than anything else is how mysterious it all is. Once the mystery is solved, I lose interest.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Dead Dog wrote: I don't want the answers to all of the mysteries. They aren't mysteries anymore once that happens... Once the mystery is solved, I lose interest.
Pretty much how I feel about Prometheus. I liked not knowing anything about the crashed ship on the barren planet. The problem with solutions to mysteries is that often everyone comes up with far more interesting theories than the eventual revelations that turn up.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I hope folks will forgive my negativity about the book here. I'm conflicted. I was very excited, it wasn't what I wanted, and I became disappointed. But I'm not trying to diminish other people's feelings about it. I'm one of those weirdoes who is very protective of the things I hold dear. I'm the guy that likes the first album by the band, and not much after it. The original, but not the sequels. I like the version I fall in love with and have a hard time with changes. I'm not even a big fan of FWWM. So, this is likely more of an issue with how I'm wired than it is with the direction Frost and Lynch are taking Twin Peaks in.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Why do you keep apologizing for your opinions? You're entitled to yours as much as anybody.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:Why do you keep apologizing for your opinions? You're entitled to yours as much as anybody.
I was actually banned from a fan forum before for not being on board with popular opinion. I used to be a big fan of Batman and was booted off of a discussion board for very politely explaining how I didn't think The Dark Knight was very good. I was hated for not loving that film. Maybe that is lingering with me.

I don't think I've ever apologized for any of my opinions here until now though, have I?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

If anybody has an issue with how this board is run, you can always message the owner or any of the mods.

You may also post any issues in the 'Site Updates and Feedback' section.

Nobody here has been banned for stating their opinion on the Mark Frost book.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

He missed or was delayed coming to the U.K for his book tour which upset me as I was hoping to go, but fine, whatever..... I wonder when/"if" it's being released here though. :?
The Angels will return...
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Panapaok wrote:Mark Frost's UK Tour - POSTPONED
We are sad to announce that the tour to promote The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost is now postponed until 2017.

Owing to Mark Frost suffering from early symptoms of pneumonia, his doctor has advised him not to take any long flights and to rest. He therefore will not be travelling to the UK for press and events next week 14-19 November.

It is with sorrow and disappointment that Mark has had to do this and thanks his fans for the wonderful support that they have already shown since the publication of the book. We wish Mark a speedy recovery and hope to reschedule the tour for early 2017.

Ah, now seeing why...hope he's feeling better. :shock:
The Angels will return...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I was thinking about the conspicuous absence of Annie from the book, and it got me thinking that we just might see Heather Graham in the new series after all. It would make sense - if there's a deliberate and mysterious reason she's been written out of Norma's backstory, it would fit that she might also be in S3 while being deliberately being left out of the announced cast list.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Re: TSHOTP
Hah, David Lynch hasn’t read Mark Frost’s Secret History of #TwinPeaks and doesn’t want to. That’s Mark’s history and he has his own. #TCA17
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

N. Needleman wrote:Re: TSHOTP
Hah, David Lynch hasn’t read Mark Frost’s Secret History of #TwinPeaks and doesn’t want to. That’s Mark’s history and he has his own. #TCA17
That figures...
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I always expected that, tbh.

I still don't have much interest in actually checking this out. I think, sacrilege as it may be, I'm much more interested in Lynch's vision of Twin Peaks than Frost's.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Soolsma wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Re: TSHOTP
That figures...
Pretty much the least surprising news ever.