The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by sylviecerise »

Arbogast wrote:Thanks! I have to remember that this is an awesome community of like-minded folks, and there's more to it than just the spoiler pages, too!
Long time lurker here, finally registered in light of all the new information on the book. Wanted to thank you, Arbogast, as well for all you've contributed to the forum—I've had a great time following the spoilers thread in the past year.

With Big Ed & Nadine, what was the gist of their backstory for those who weren't able to see the pages before they were taken down? (if it's ok to ask in this thread)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Ross wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, Toad now has a name...
We are assuming the Toad referenced in these pages is the one Marv Rosand played that will be in the new series, right?
No- I believe the Toad referenced in the leaked pages is the Toad we know as he is a classmate (same age as) Truman, Hank, etc. If the Marc Rostand cook character is indeed also named Toad, perhaps he is his dad?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

Wish I had seen the most recent pages..

In an all caps SPOILERS page, why is everyone being so coy about the spoilers? I understand taking down images and all, but... yea.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

map66 wrote:Amy Shiels was actually fairly decent in Californication, if one can get passed how one note her character was written as the Lolita type. But she is attractive in a rather Lynch way---- really defined facial bones for one.
I don't think Amy appeared in Californication...?
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

sylviecerise wrote:
With Big Ed & Nadine, what was the gist of their backstory for those who weren't able to see the pages before they were taken down? (if it's ok to ask in this thread)
[/quote]

From what I read, it says Ed met Nadine in 1984, some five years before the show took place. What seems to be their first meeting is being recounted by Hawk, who describes her as having gone to high school with them, but was "a few years behind them" in age- which explains why she was 35 in 1989, when Ed and Norma were at least 38. Ed rushes to her aid after nearly killing her by accident. Also, her name is given as Nadie Gertz, not Nadine Butler. Ed's story on the series seemed to have her hooking up with Nadine after Norma ran out on him "straight out of high school" and marrying Hank. And then Ed shooting Nadine's eye out on their Honeymoon, which was described as being about 20 years prior. Like I said, Mark Frost wrote the episode which gave Nadine's backstory, so he couldn't have just forgotten. None of this matches up.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

It seems that there will be so much retconing in Mark's book, that I wonder whether we should consider it canon or not. :?
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Panapaok wrote:It seems that there will be so much retconing in Mark's book, that I wonder whether we should consider it canon or not. :?

I didn't notice any other Retcons in what I read. Having a Frank Truman brother character is more of a retcon in the traditional meaning of the word, but it doesn't contradict anything we know from the original series. Truman's family is just never mentioned. The Ed/Nadine stuff flat out contradicts something that was elaborated on in the series. Was there other retcons in the book pages that I missed?

UNLESS....Nadine Gertz is supposed to be someone other than Nadine Butler, and Ed had another relationship with a woman named Nadine at one point? I mean, that sounds bizarre, but this is a show that had two Mikes and two Bobs, and a made point of it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The book is canon, and looks great. But TP has always had some issues with continuity in the merchandising, lol.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

See, this is where being a lifelong comic book fan comes in handy. After following DC and Marvel for over thirty years, I'm used to this sort of thing. Sometimes canon just...changes. You gotta roll with it.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

spoiler:

At one point, Douglas Milford has seen a giant and a ''walking owl as tall as a man''

Also

Dr. Jacoby had a brother named Robert
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
L. Hazanko

Post by L. Hazanko »

Hello, long-time lurker first-time poster here. I finally registered because this contradictory Ed/Nadine stuff is really interesting to me. I remember when the first teaser video for the book came out, there was a lot of discussion here about the wrong tattoo being on Margaret's medical report. It shows the markings Major Briggs received on his neck instead. Someone asked Frost about it on Twitter, and I don't recall exactly what he said, but I remember feeling like he was more or less indicating that this maybe-error was actually exactly as intended.

Since those tattoo discussions, I've been wondering if in this book and possibly season 3, we may be seeing the timeline altered somehow, perhaps caused by the Lodge. This new version of how Ed and Nadine got together (with a new maiden name for Nadine!) is fueling that train of thought for me.

It's been, what, 5 years by our understanding since Frost and Lynch started discussing seriously how to return to Twin Peaks? I find it very hard to believe Mark Frost just forgot what he'd written before about Ed's sad history, or couldn't be bothered to pull up that episode and review, or hell, Google for transcripts. I'm thinking that these inconsistencies are fully intentional, and meant to stand out as very strange to fans like us who have all these details committed to memory. I'm willing to bet that why the past has changed will be one of the central mysteries of the book/new season.

"One chants out between two worlds..."
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

The alternate timeline is something that I suspected ever (season 3 spoiler) since a leaked photo of Jacques Renault from the Roadhouse came out.
Last edited by djerdap on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

My two cents regarding the recent book-related revelations (if we can indeed call them that, you never know with TP):

- Like I've written on another thread, I'm absolutely delighted that Forster aparently isn't Harry S. Truman, in no small part because that allows for possibility we might be actually getting a glimpse of Ontkean in his signature role sometime down the line; I'm holding out a small hope of his return being one of the major secrets of the production (is that really so impossible, given we're dealing with Lynch here? I mean, he could be pulling a "Tojamura" on us :) ), but if that isn't (couldn't be) the case, I would welcome him in the future season(s), if only for a few minutes or even seconds. Also: this new situation gives perfect meaning to one of Kyle MacLachlan's cryptic tweets (some of you may remember it): when he was asked by one of the fans about the presence of Ontkean's Truman, he replied that "there will be a chapter missing". Didn't make much sense if we had Harry Truman in the show (albeit in different form), but makes an absolute sense if we don't have him (in neither - not Ontkean's and not Forster's - of the forms), doesn't it?

- I'm also glad that the upcoming book won't be strictly limited to pre-end of S 2 era, but we'll get at least a few snippets worth of events and happenings after infamous cliffhanger(s) we've all agonised over all these decades since; in light of this disclosure, I might pick it up this fall after all.

This is under P.S., as I'm aware the subject is anything but popular with the mods (a couple of my previous queries refering to it were taken down), but I'm compelled to ask for a simple explanation as to what is the majority's beef with Obnoxious & Anonymous guys? I've enjoyed quite a few of their podcasts in the past, if not for actual new informations contained therein then at least for genuine display of ardent fansmanship and overall TP-passion, and fail, try hard as I might, to see any harm in them (I've also spoken to them via social media on couple of occasions and find them to be well-mannered and decent enough types) ... That business with them posting a couple of secret photos from the shoot that first appeared on Dugpa could well be misunderstanding, and I don't see anything disrespectful of Frost in their recent musings about his book - just some speculations and discussion of what they'd like to see/read from the fan point of view and what they wouldn't, like we're doing here mostly. I'll understand if I don't get any answers, but can't hurt to ask, ya know :)
Last edited by FrightNight on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

The alleged retconning, which I'll hold off on getting too upset about until I read the whole book, is definitely concerning. The tattoos, the timeline, Nadine and Ed's backstory, Norma's mother's names, etc. Whether or not you, specifically, care about this stuff, there are people that definitely do. If Mark did botch these details, he will never hear the end of it. The man who created the series (with Lynch, of course) couldn't bother to rewatch the show and make sure his details jived? That would be, as Tremayne would put, the supreme incongruity.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

FrightNight wrote:
This is under P.S., as I'm aware the subject is anything but popular with the mods (a couple of my previous queries refering to it were taken down), but I'm compelled to ask for a simple explanation as to what is the majority's beef with Obnoxious & Anonymous guys? I've enjoyed quite a few of their podcasts in the past, if not for actual new informations contained therein then at least for genuine display of ardent fansmanship and overall TP-passion, and fail, try hard as I might, to see any harm in them (I've also spoken to them via social media on couple of occasions and find them to be well-manered and decent enough types) ... That business with them posting a couple of secret photos from the shoot that first appeared on Dugpa could well be misunderstanding, and I don't see anything disrespectful of Frost in their recent musings about his book - just some speculations and discussion of what they'd like to see/read from the fan point of view and what they wouldn't, like we're doing here mostly. I'll understand if I don't get any answers, but can't hurt to ask, ya know :)
I watched their youtube vids a while back as well and enjoyed them, for the most part. I found James' sense of humour to be of the type that I generally am a fan of and Cameron always made decent points. However, I refused to watch anymore when they very publically blasted this forum and the people contributing to it when it was taken down for a few days due to the spoiler issues. Despite pretty much ALL of their youtube video content being taken from the Dugpa spoiler forums, they decided to take the moral high ground and say they disagreed with the spoilers getting out etc. They were completely hypocritical and it just really put me off them. Nothing more than that for me personally. I just value the Dugpa forum more than their youtube series I guess.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*