The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:"We're not going to talk about Annie. In fact we're not going to talk about Annie at all!"
I'm sure we will find out about Annie. But I suspect we won't know about what happened to Chester Desmond...
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

speedbeatz wrote:I've finished reading the book; out of respect for the author I'm going to refrain from discussing main plot points in public until it's been officially released
One quick question - do we find out what the 1991 case referenced in Cole's memo is? I assume it is NOT referencing Laura's death but something else? Not looking for what the case is, just a quick yes or no. :-)
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

dugpa wrote:
Ross wrote:"We're not going to talk about Annie. In fact we're not going to talk about Annie at all!"
I'm sure we will find out about Annie. But I suspect we won't know about what happened to Chester Desmond...
In the google preview i read about Sam Stanley and Chet Desmond
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

sneakydave wrote:
speedbeatz wrote:I've finished reading the book; out of respect for the author I'm going to refrain from discussing main plot points in public until it's been officially released
One quick question - do we find out what the 1991 case referenced in Cole's memo is? I assume it is NOT referencing Laura's death but something else? Not looking for what the case is, just a quick yes or no. :-)
All i know is its a different incident and not Laura's
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

sneakydave wrote:
Aside from one page, the content of the dossier ends with March 28, 1989. The 1991 incident isn't mentioned outside of Cole's memo.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Thanks guys.

Interesting.

I just wish it was next week already.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The absolute lack of Annie maybe means that her fate will be addressed in the series. I mean, the last line of the original series is 'How's Annie?' and Lynch brought her back in FWWM, which we know is canon. I don't think they'll just ignore her completely.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
everyeating

Post by everyeating »

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of these inconsistencies revolve around the year 1984? I don't know about the tattoos, but Ed and Nadine met in 1984, Norma's mother died in 1984, and even the Playing Lynch promotional website for the RR indicated the diner was founded in 1984.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

:idea: :idea: :idea:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Changing, possibly making up history in the year 1984?

Seems like Frost is channeling his inner George Orwell. Great catch! It'd be funny if it's just a coincidence...
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

To be honest, the only one from these discrepancies that truly bothers me, is the Ed/Nadine backstory. I love that scene from the series, one of my favorites. I don't really care about Norma's mother plot line. The tattoo is also a bummer but I can live with that, it's not that important.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Panapaok wrote:To be honest, the only one from these discrepancies that truly bothers me, is the Ed/Nadine backstory. I love that scene from the series.
Yes, also that episode is one of the very best, not to mention pure Lynch & Frost. So it would not make sense from a 'we want to change some boring post killer reveal S2 stuff' point of view.
everyeating wrote:Has anyone else noticed that a lot of these inconsistencies revolve around the year 1984? I don't know about the tattoos, but Ed and Nadine met in 1984, Norma's mother died in 1984, and even the Playing Lynch promotional website for the RR indicated the diner was founded in 1984.
This could very well be something.

Laura Palmer started her diary in 1984, which is also the year Bob started raping her

Wondering if there is a consistency which exists only between TSHOTP and the diary.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

What you're about to read is probably a very unpopular opinion.

These discrepancies are actually pretty infuriating to me. Like - just why? Why is it necessary to change Vivian's name? Why the hell couldn't Frost - who wrote an episode with her in it - just stick to what already happened in the series? WTF?!

Also, some of you have speculated that Mark and David are possibly "retconning" out some the less popular season two plots or otherwise reshaping them. Here is where I might get really unpopular. Depending on the episodes, the particular plot or the particular period of time during filming, Frost and Lynch just weren't around. I understand they had other stuff they were doing. But they have to understand that, even if this show was their brainchild/baby, if they can't be bothered to stick around or at least guide from afar (some writers, like Peyton, have said it was very difficult to get ahold of either of them and they just had to run with certain things), then fuck 'em. The show had to carry on. There were contracts and deadlines to adhere to. We might have ended up with some less-than-savory aspects of the show, but that's what we got. It happened. And it has been canon for 25 years.

A timeline shift/other universe seems like a complete cop out. And straight up retconning makes me angry at them. I know readers have only reported these three main discrepancies (which are already annoying enough), but it's possible the series may have more (or others in the alleged volume 2 of the book). If it's true they're trying to erase some stuff that already happened in the show, they can fuck right off. Should've paid more attention to your show.

I allow there could be a good reason for all this. And if that's true and there's something I don't know, great. I welcome it. Otherwise, I'm left feeling cheated.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I indeed think that's very harsh. There's been a whole bunch of continuity errors throughout all the TP media we've had so far. Besides, it's just a work of fiction, not the constitution or something.

(disclaimer: it's just a metaphor, not politics)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

Soolsma wrote:I indeed think that's very harsh. There's been a whole bunch of continuity errors throughout all the TP media we've had so far. Besides, it's just a work of fiction, not the constitution or something.

(disclaimer: it's just a metaphor, not politics)

I agree. It is harsh. That's how I'm feeling right now though. Immediate reaction upon reading the confirmation of these issues. I can let slide some discrepancies that were in the other books since they were pretty much peripheral to the show anyway. But this book is by Mark Frost himself. He is responsible for the universe's existence. And if he starts messing with stuff that's basically been set in stone for a quarter century for... reasons... then it just makes me mad. Especially when there doesn't appear to be a reason for doing so. (Again, I allow I could be wrong.)

EDIT: To quote a conversation between Norma herself and VIVIAN:

Norma: "Maybe I am [overreacting]. But they’re my reactions. And the hurt I feel is my hurt. And how I react is none of your damn business."
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.