The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Mordeen »

I'm no expert, but through statements made by Frost, as well as body language when certain questions are thrown at him, combined with discussions I have with certain people all lead to me to believe 100% that the timing of events as depicted in the book and their apparent "inconsistency" relative to the timing of the events as we know them in the series is deliberate. I can't say with certainty as to whether that is a result of tampering, alternate timelines or intentional red herring (perhaps even all three) but for me the most likely cause is tampering. What's interesting is when the collection of material and info regarding the residents of the town itself is showcased in the dossier, things get wildly "inaccurate." Especially with Hawk (his ugly journal in the Bookhouse, way out of character for him), The Log Lady (her mark and the eventual direct connection between her and ) The ARCHIVIST himself, Major Briggs (his omissions of critical details that would be key to the dossier). The three people with the greatest connection to the mystery aside from Milford, who died before the dossier was secured away. Could that have been done by Evil Coop after killing Briggs and acquiring the dossier? Certainly. The dossier is discovered at a classified location some 25+ years after the last entry we see.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Hi all, can I ask, are the Blue Rose cases or just "Blue Rose" mentioned anywhere in the book?

I have to ask because........

I read the naughty preview pages immediately on google books in the UK, then waited patiently for my amazon uk book & CDs.
The book came....... WITH A TORN DUST JACKET! Much as I want to read it, it's gone back, any other book I wouldn't have cared, but hell, this is Twin Peaks! I waited 25 years, whats a couple more days?!! plus, no audio book! Whats happening Amazon?!!!!

So, Blue Rose? anyone????
TimeLife

Post by TimeLife »

New poster here...

On the subject of the "errors" in the book, I'm looking at this realistically: if the issues with dates contradicting one another (i.e., Robert Jacoby's death) or with visuals not making sense (the stamp on Norma's 1969 postcard) were not intentional, then wouldn't have Frost's book editor pointed these out prior to publication? This leads me to believe that things that jumped out at readers immediately are most likely intentional.

That, or Frost's book editor should give back his or her paycheck to the publishing house...
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Qubism wrote:Hi all, can I ask, are the Blue Rose cases or just "Blue Rose" mentioned anywhere in the book?

I have to ask because........

I read the naughty preview pages immediately on google books in the UK, then waited patiently for my amazon uk book & CDs.
The book came....... WITH A TORN DUST JACKET! Much as I want to read it, it's gone back, any other book I wouldn't have cared, but hell, this is Twin Peaks! I waited 25 years, whats a couple more days?!! plus, no audio book! Whats happening Amazon?!!!!

So, Blue Rose? anyone????
No, but the entire dossier is a Blue Rose case, and AD Cole gave it to Agent TP for a reason. . .

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I am still awaiting my signed copy from Powells so I have not got a chance to read it yet but I've been keeping up with this thread and I remember hearing that on the day Parsons died he was working on a humonculous (miniature full formed human) and was also wearing the ring during the explosion and his arm evaporated. Wasn't sure if anyone mentioned this yet but the arm? Miniature human? Sounds a lot like LMFAP to me :shock:
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

ScibenX wrote: I want to believe Briggs was the Archivist, but I have doubts. For one, why would Gordon Cole make finding the identity of the Archivist TP's #1 priority, when all one would have to do is flip to where he announces his name? Surely someone else at the FBI looked at the dossier before giving it to TP. Maybe Cole is testing TP? (If so, she obviously failed.)

I also suspect the "Dossier Handling Timeline" from the beginning of the book might offer some clues as to when or by whom tampering may have occurred. For example, TP had the dossier in her possession for a full week prior to starting her work on it.

If the dossier was tampered with, that leads to the question of who did so, and why? I can think of two possible culprits, neither of which really hold up: Evil Coop or Windom Earle. If Evil Coop doctored the dossier after killing Briggs, why leave in anything that would raise suspicion, even as vague as Briggs' last few lines before Mayday? As far as Windom Earle, while I believe he would be capable of creating or seamlessly tampering with this dossier, it would not be very dramatically satisfying to discover that the book we just read was actually written by a character fans have mixed feelings towards, to say the least.
To be fair, if you're handed a big dossier, you wouldn't know you could just flip to a certain page and find the identity. You could randomly skim around, but the most methodical way would be to start at page one and go to the end.

Also, TP had the dossier for a full week prior to making her initial remarks. I imagine they began investigating immediately, or at least soon after getting it.

Although Milford's lines about being the white rabbit definitely give off Windomy vibes, I really don't think Windom messed with the dossier. I mean, since the dossier goes into events that happened after the season two finale, Windom would have been "dead" at that point, right? BOB had his soul.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
ScibenX

Post by ScibenX »

LonelySoul wrote:
To be fair, if you're handed a big dossier, you wouldn't know you could just flip to a certain page and find the identity. You could randomly skim around, but the most methodical way would be to start at page one and go to the end.

Also, TP had the dossier for a full week prior to making her initial remarks. I imagine they began investigating immediately, or at least soon after getting it.
True, though to me the tone of TP's remarks makes it sound like she's reading it for the first time. In any case, I remembered incorrectly - Gordon Cole received the dossier on 7/17, and it wasn't given to TP until 8/5. TP's initial remarks didn't come until 8/28, three weeks later. I don't really suspect TP of anything - there are plenty of reasonable explanations - but it is interesting.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mordeen wrote:I'm no expert, but through statements made by Frost, as well as body language when certain questions are thrown at him, combined with discussions I have with certain people all lead to me to believe 100% that the timing of events as depicted in the book and their apparent "inconsistency" relative to the timing of the events as we know them in the series is deliberate. I can't say with certainty as to whether that is a result of tampering, alternate timelines or intentional red herring (perhaps even all three) but for me the most likely cause is tampering. What's interesting is when the collection of material and info regarding the residents of the town itself is showcased in the dossier, things get wildly "inaccurate." Especially with Hawk (his ugly journal in the Bookhouse, way out of character for him), The Log Lady (her mark and the eventual direct connection between her and ) The ARCHIVIST himself, Major Briggs (his omissions of critical details that would be key to the dossier). The three people with the greatest connection to the mystery aside from Milford, who died before the dossier was secured away. Could that have been done by Evil Coop after killing Briggs and acquiring the dossier? Certainly. The dossier is discovered at a classified location some 25+ years after the last entry we see.

-Mordeen
I'm still unsure how Evil Coop tampering with the dossier makes any sense. If he just wanted to omit or "hide" things in it, why not just destroy the whole thing? So the goal would have to be to mislead and send the reader in the wrong direction, right? Is there anything about it that suggests that?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
ScibenX

Post by ScibenX »

Ross wrote: I'm still unsure how Evil Coop tampering with the dossier makes any sense. If he just wanted to omit or "hide" things in it, why not just destroy the whole thing? So the goal would have to be to mislead and send the reader in the wrong direction, right? Is there anything about it that suggests that?
Agreed - "Evil Coop did it" makes sense to me right up until Briggs' last line. I can't imagine Coop would leave even the slightest clue that would cast suspicion upon himself - unless, like Leland/BOB, he's trying to get caught.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I agree with Ross. And as a book it doesn't make much sense to do that... Once the tv show comes out and that becomes obvious, it would make Frost's book a collective gotcha and not long lasting. I believe Frost is using this as a loving tribute to a world he corrected and can explore more. However, I do think there are some time warped omissions... Annie now seems too deliberate.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

ScibenX wrote:
Ross wrote: I'm still unsure how Evil Coop tampering with the dossier makes any sense. If he just wanted to omit or "hide" things in it, why not just destroy the whole thing? So the goal would have to be to mislead and send the reader in the wrong direction, right? Is there anything about it that suggests that?
Agreed - "Evil Coop did it" makes sense to me right up until Briggs' last line. I can't imagine Coop would leave even the slightest clue that would cast suspicion upon himself - unless, like Leland/BOB, he's trying to get caught.
R B T
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
FittenTrim

Post by FittenTrim »

laughingpinecone wrote:
FittenTrim wrote:It was probably a slip of the tongue, and not a reveal, but last night in L.A. Mark Frost said Robert Knepper played Dougie Milford in season 3, then corrected himself to say he was voice on audiobook.

If they were going to be 'moving through time' in season 3, Knepper could make an okay young Doug Milford IMDB.

As others have noted, Frost said Dougie Milford married Lana, Miss Twin Peaks 1989.

When I spoke to Frost, we talked about him voicing Haywards in the audiobook, and I had him signed one of my books as Cyril Ponds
Wait, Ponds? Didn't he make a big show on Twitter of the character's name being Pons? How'd he sign it? (...is it yet another Berenstein/Berenstain situation like 3/4 of the book?)

Yeah, that was my bad, Frost did sign it "Pons"
Twin Peaks: The Gifted and the Damned Podcast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 1165641599
crossoverman

Post by crossoverman »

FittenTrim wrote:Yeah, that was my bad, Frost did sign it "Pons"
But see, isn't that another example of a deliberate error? Particularly one that he's always insisted was Pons.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

What error? FittenTrims just said he spelled it wrong, not Frost.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Book landed yesterday. Read the first passage (Lewis). Very interesting. Love the aesthetics of the book and wonder where it will lead (probably to a bunch of questions).