The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Sidgwick »

Jerry Horne wrote:
ScibenX wrote:
Ross wrote: I'm still unsure how Evil Coop tampering with the dossier makes any sense. If he just wanted to omit or "hide" things in it, why not just destroy the whole thing? So the goal would have to be to mislead and send the reader in the wrong direction, right? Is there anything about it that suggests that?
Agreed - "Evil Coop did it" makes sense to me right up until Briggs' last line. I can't imagine Coop would leave even the slightest clue that would cast suspicion upon himself - unless, like Leland/BOB, he's trying to get caught.
R B T
Might we see Robertson as the supernatural antagonist in S3, in the absence of BOB?
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

Ross wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:Does anyone remember if the book says anything about the Truman switcheroo? Fred was Sheriff, then Frank was Sheriff, then Harry took over in '81 when Frank moved West, then...?
I think that's all that is said.

So does anyone think Dougie will be mentioned in S3? It sounds like Frost just used that character for the book, so it seems unlikely, right?
I'll be surprised if he doesn't get at least a mention or two, considering how major his role in the book is.
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

I can definitely see Anti-Coop using Robertson as an alias.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jerry Horne wrote:
ScibenX wrote:
Ross wrote: I'm still unsure how Evil Coop tampering with the dossier makes any sense. If he just wanted to omit or "hide" things in it, why not just destroy the whole thing? So the goal would have to be to mislead and send the reader in the wrong direction, right? Is there anything about it that suggests that?
Agreed - "Evil Coop did it" makes sense to me right up until Briggs' last line. I can't imagine Coop would leave even the slightest clue that would cast suspicion upon himself - unless, like Leland/BOB, he's trying to get caught.
R B T
Bingo. Bob likes to play.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

it seems like every day i am suspicious of someone else. today its windom earle. his absence in the story seems too conspicuous. why does briggs not mentiion anything about his abduction? did the drugs that earle gave him erase his memory? there are a couple references to "masking memories" in the book. is the entire town of twin peaks experiencing a collective masking memory?
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

So I'm guessing Evil coop is on the lam and altered the dossier to throw them off which would explain Texas and the cocaine but I believe good coop may be traveling through time trying to alter events maybe or something along that line. So many possibilities really.
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

beano wrote:it seems like every day i am suspicious of someone else. today its windom earle. his absence in the story seems too conspicuous. why does briggs not mentiion anything about his abduction? did the drugs that earle gave him erase his memory? there are a couple references to "masking memories" in the book. is the entire town of twin peaks experiencing a collective masking memory?
I agree. Plus remember that Briggs and Earle were both on Blue Book. There's no mention by the Archivist/"Briggs" that Briggs was assigned to Blue Book for years, let alone Earle. One would have to think that Briggs and Milford knew each other from Blue Book, so not mentioning that isn't plausible (Briggs and Milford, as per the dossier, appear to have first met long after Blue Book was over). Further, we know from the series that Earle had figured out about the dugpas and the lodges and their connection to twin peaks at some point before blue book disbanded in 1969. That significant knowledge would be something that the Archivist would surely want to mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3lDx8vsVDQ

Further, the entire Blue Book time period (1952-1969) is rushed over quickly in the book. The only real mention during that time period is that Milford worked on it, and while he did he had correspondence with an "M" (likely Nixon) about some bizarre encounters, including perhaps one with aliens and Eisenhower. That screams red herring to me.
crossoverman

Post by crossoverman »

ForKeeps wrote:What error? FittenTrims just said he spelled it wrong, not Frost.
It was Ponds in the original series and Pons in the book. It's another deliberate discrepancy between book and show.
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

crossoverman wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:What error? FittenTrims just said he spelled it wrong, not Frost.
It was Ponds in the original series and Pons in the book. It's another deliberate discrepancy between book and show.
Exactly. Mark Frost deliberately did this, it's not an error. Check out this tweet from August: https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/767187065540706304
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

For those who missed it on the other thread, Mark just confirmed another book to be released after the Showtime series.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TimeLife

Post by TimeLife »

Theory: the person who tampered with the dossier is Evil Briggs, possessed by BOB or some other Black Lodge spirit.

From the series, we know that Windom Earle spoke through Sarah Palmer to Briggs at the Double R and told him point blank "I am in the Black Lodge with Dale Cooper. I'm waiting for you". We don't see what happens to Briggs after this.

Maybe Briggs did indeed make it into the Black Lodge after Coop/Evil Coop/Doppelganger Coop/etc got out with Annie. Briggs went in with imperfect courage, and, like Coop, his doppelganger escaped, and the real Major Briggs is still trapped in the Black Lodge.

I'm thinking this because so much of "The Archivist's" language in the dossier sounded exactly like Briggs (I figured Briggs was the Archivist within the first few pages with him quoting Neil Armstrong or another Apollo 11 astronaut). And we know that even while Leland was possessed by BOB, he was still able to write and speak and act like the real Leland. So perhaps Evil Briggs could still be able to write in language that normal Briggs could.

Maybe whatever Black Lodge spirit is possessing Briggs wrote in the final pages of the dossier with Briggs's encounter with a "something wrong" Cooper is to point authorities on Cooper's direction in order to capture BOB, as if there is some sort of civil war within the Black Lodge and its inhabitants?

Of course, this all could be debunked within a few posts regarding things I forgot about that are contained within the book.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I had asked him one important thing about the book but it seems he is offline now. Wanted to ask him if the book has any easter eggs /secrets that no one has discovered till now
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

TimeLife wrote:Theory: the person who tampered with the dossier is Evil Briggs, possessed by BOB or some other Black Lodge spirit.
Interesting theory, but I don't think they'd go there for several reasons. First off, Frost has spoken repeatedly about Major Briggs being the 'most enlightened man in Twin Peaks' and, although never confirmed, it is heavily implied that Briggs *already* confronted the Black Lodge during his disappearance and overcame it (or bypassed it entirely and went directly to the White Lodge).

Secondly, with Don Davis gone and Major Briggs more than likely not appearing in the new series, I doubt we'll get an offscreen resolution to his story that's so complex. Much easier to write him off as being a victim of Evil Coop, or disappearing like Jeffries and Desmond.
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

I really hope that S3 doesn't turn into Quantum Peaks:

"Good Coop awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own time was made through brainwave transmissions, with Briggs, the Project Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Good Coop could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Good Coop finds himself leaping from [plot point to plot point], putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next leap will be the leap home..."
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

(added - in Andy's voice) Will be much more complicated than that, this is too simple
Last edited by Aqua on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.