The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wpc77

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by wpc77 »

Instead of the 50s being the starting point, the book strongly implies that something evil was set loose once Chief Joseph's tribe was displaced and slaughtered. It seemed like the "doorway" was open prior to that (see Lewis) but not to malevolent beings. At least that's how I read it. Especially once Denver Bob and his buddy went missing right after the tribe was displaced.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Josef Allen Hynek was a member of the "Robertson Panel". That sounds interesting. ;)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think the door was likely always open to all sorts of forces, depending. Whether things became more active when the Indians were displaced is another question.

I wouldn't be surprised if the strange "Eisenhower/I Love Lucy" opening still became a part of canon somehow - perhaps a more official sort of crossing-over for some of the spirits. In 1989, MIKE says BOB has been near them for "almost 40 years". Fortysomething Leland was possessed by BOB as a child. The timeline can potentially track with another thing Engels claimed re: FWWM that did not come to fruition - something about "MIKE is chasing BOB because he stole the corn, from their dimension/planet". i.e., BOB could potentially have arrived here and made full-on landfall in our realm in the '50s. Prior to that, one could suggest the beings in the woods kept largely to themselves.

Just a thought, though.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Post by AJPRR2GO »

LonelySoul wrote:
ScibenX wrote: I want to believe Briggs was the Archivist, but I have doubts. For one, why would Gordon Cole make finding the identity of the Archivist TP's #1 priority, when all one would have to do is flip to where he announces his name? Surely someone else at the FBI looked at the dossier before giving it to TP. Maybe Cole is testing TP? (If so, she obviously failed.)

I also suspect the "Dossier Handling Timeline" from the beginning of the book might offer some clues as to when or by whom tampering may have occurred. For example, TP had the dossier in her possession for a full week prior to starting her work on it.

If the dossier was tampered with, that leads to the question of who did so, and why? I can think of two possible culprits, neither of which really hold up: Evil Coop or Windom Earle. If Evil Coop doctored the dossier after killing Briggs, why leave in anything that would raise suspicion, even as vague as Briggs' last few lines before Mayday? As far as Windom Earle, while I believe he would be capable of creating or seamlessly tampering with this dossier, it would not be very dramatically satisfying to discover that the book we just read was actually written by a character fans have mixed feelings towards, to say the least.
To be fair, if you're handed a big dossier, you wouldn't know you could just flip to a certain page and find the identity. You could randomly skim around, but the most methodical way would be to start at page one and go to the end.

Also, TP had the dossier for a full week prior to making her initial remarks. I imagine they began investigating immediately, or at least soon after getting it.

Although Milford's lines about being the white rabbit definitely give off Windomy vibes, I really don't think Windom messed with the dossier. I mean, since the dossier goes into events that happened after the season two finale, Windom would have been "dead" at that point, right? BOB had his soul.
Then I guess the real obvious conclusion here, considering TP had the dossier for a full week, is that it is actually TP who tampered with the dossier after seeing something/some things that gave her away/wanted to keep to herself/exposed HER as a person from another place?

Just a hunch that may or may not have already been postured.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

what is going on with gordon cole in this book? he assigns the dossier to TP to examine without informing her that there is information about him in it? information that implicates him in a big conspiracy at that? this doesnt add up to me. TP even wonders if shes going to get fired by uncovering this information. is someone trying to frame gordon cole? also, the fact that the first major discrepancy shows up in gordon coles opening letter when he describes twin peaks as being in the northwest corner of the state rather than the northeast corner makes me really suspicious.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Also what did all the names of agents on the computer indicate? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there two agents in the book? One is Tamara and the other is the one to whom the dossier is assigned
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

One more thing I noticed:
INTEROFFICE MEMORANDUM

Background:The content of this dossier appears to have a relationship to an investigation conducted in northwest Washington State........ my command at the time.

Gordon can only know that the dossier contains information about Twin Peaks and Lauras investigation,if and only if he has read it or someone else has read it and told him.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Saw Mark tonight in Portland.

He said "You are going to like where Hawk ends up".

"You might remember Lana Milford, Miss Twin Peaks 1989".
Attachments
Cv0yk_kVIAENq-K.jpg
Cv0yk_kVIAENq-K.jpg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jerry Horne wrote:Saw Mark tonight in Portland.

Is he saying the same line at every book signing?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Saw Mark tonight in Portland.

Is he saying the same line at every book signing?
Pretty much.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

God, a couple of years back, who'd've thought that one day in the not-too-distant future we'd be hotly debating Lana Milford as a character of some importance regarding Season 3 of Twin Peaks.

To quote Jeffrey Beaumont, "it's a strange world" ...
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The image of Bob was creepy.Are the images in book part of the dossier?If so then Briggs knows about BoB
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Briggs knows what Bob is, he was discussing Bob with Cooper, Harry and Albert right after Leland died.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Who is Shiels voicing in the audiobook :?: :?: :?:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Briggs knows what Bob is, he was discussing Bob with Cooper, Harry and Albert right after Leland died.
According to the dossier he knows how BOB looks.He has BOBs photo