The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by dronerstone »

Dennis (now back to male clothing) and a random female agent chasing aliens and paranormal activity. It'll be the X-Files all over again.

Sorry, just joking. Too much "Grays" content wouldn't totally be my cup of tea though. We'll see in just a few months.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I think the aliens and reports of their crafts crashing etc are all just smoke and mirrors and Milford wasn't getting the real truth from his superiors. I think there are likely different groups looking to tap into the power of the Lodges and this UFO stuff is a cover story to throw people off the scent. It will all come down to harnessing the power of the Lodges and we'll see bits and pieces from the book come into play - these groups attempting to find an entrance in one of the 'portals' that can be opened in the desert etc. I just can't see the show retreading the x-files.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Given how many people are upset at the UFO/Alien content, how angry are people going to be if the Black Lodge denizens are really from a planet made of cream corn? :lol:
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

krishnanspace wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:had to skip to the last few pages...so much disappointment about the books gaffes or whatever you want to call them
THE BOOK IS AMAZING
Back from the lodge huh? ;D
sort of...one foot in one foot out :)
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

crossoverman wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:had to skip to the last few pages...so much disappointment about the books gaffes or whatever you want to call them
THE BOOK IS AMAZING
Yes, I think reading this thread in retrospect is pretty much a headache, as a lot of it is griping before the book came out without any idea of the context. Not until recently, when we're more certain that Frost is playing with certain elements of history, can our discussion about the discrepancies feel useful. Even in the days after the book's release, a lot of the complaining was understandable but it's hard to appreciate that in hindsight.

I think once we started compiling a list of discrepancies (check out the spreadsheet), that's when the discussion becomes more helpful.

You should also listen to the most recent episode of the Red Room podcast; I think that's key to uncovering what's going on with the book, without giving any real narrative answers.
thank you :)
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Wasn't sure if this has been posted already, but a really wonderful, very well-written and thoughtful (and absolutely spoiler-filled) review of the book on Medium.com clearly written by a hardcore TP fan: https://medium.com/@charlesevans/review ... .acp61co4r

This passage in the review really struck a chord with me, in particular:

"Another thing to consider: the whole concept of multiple layers of reality is oft-cited throughout the story. The Black Lodge represents somewhere else. BOB and Mike come from another place. Jeffries utters “We live inside a dream.” Mike’s poem uses the phrase “between two worlds.” Like many, I’ve always assumed the phrase “two worlds” was a reference to Twin Peaks and wherever the beings from the Lodges originate. But what if, similar to the aforementioned Fringe, there is literally another Twin Peaks, the mirror image universe to the one depicted in the original series, where slightly different paths have been forged? If true, this would give new meaning to the name of the book: this is a secret history of Twin Peaks because this version of Twin Peaks has been hidden from us."

Didn't Bob Engels talk a few times about there being a hidden alternate world of Twin Peaks, or at least a bunch of doppelgangers for all of the characters, which existed just a few scant seconds behind in time? I remember him making reference to this at the Echo Park Film Center in LA at their TP 20th anniversary party, and this passage really reminded me of that comment Engels made. I feel increasingly confident that these continuity errors/inconsistencies are not errors at all, but clues that Frost has left for us. (Again, his frequent mention on his current book tour to Lana being "the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks 1989 contest" I think is him really trying to cement that.)

I also like this passage, which suggests that perhaps "How's Annie?" may in fact be the "Who killed Laura Palmer?" A-story mystery of S3:

"As for the narrative arc, this novel definitely looks to be planting the seed for the introduction of another world, or at least something along those lines. It’s certainly curious that Annie has disappeared from the story, considering the final line of the series is “How’s Annie?” repeated over and over. Norma mentioned on the show that her sister always seemed like she belonged in “another place and time.” Heather Graham hasn’t been listed in the cast, but is it possible the new season is driven by the question of “How’s Annie?” What becomes of a character who doesn’t seem to exist anymore? No matter what, something of cosmic significance has transpired since Cooper’s experiences in the Black Lodge, and that no doubt has ramifications for the entire world(s) of the show."

Anyway, the review really got a lot of neurons firing; I highly suggest giving it a read, as it's clearly written by a fan who knows their stuff.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"The town newspaper changes its name from the Twin Peaks Gazette to the Twin Peaks Post in 1970. On the series, it was only ever known as the Gazette."
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 9.44.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 9.44.19 AM.png (358.68 KiB) Viewed 10068 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Jerry Horne wrote:"The town newspaper changes its name from the Twin Peaks Gazette to the Twin Peaks Post in 1970. On the series, it was only ever known as the Gazette."
Haha, ok, fair enough, maybe I give the reviewer too much credit, though he is just hypothesizing I think (as we all are). I thought the "Twin Peaks Post" thing was an inconsistency too until you posted this photo! (Don't characters like Lucy refer to it as "the Gazette" in the series? The review does agree that they were never all that great/careful with continuity in the first place...)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I just like the irony that it was the first on his list of inconsistencies.

But a broader point. Every TP book before this had inconsistencies. The series had multiple inconsistencies and couldn't even decide if it was set in '89 or '90!!

Now people have a problem with the latest book? Heaven help us when the series comes out.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Jerry Horne wrote:I just like the irony that it was the first on his list of inconsistencies.

But a broader point. Every TP book before this had inconsistencies. The series had multiple inconsistencies and couldn't even decide if it was set in '89 or '90!!

Now people have a problem with the latest book? Heaven help us when the series comes out.
Oh, totally. I think a lot of hardcore fans are going to absolutely freak out and this board will go nuts, LOL. I expect this new season will be AT LEAST as divisive as Fire Walk With Me was, if not even more so because we've all had 25+ loonnng years to chew on where the series would have gone and to become set in our preconceptions about what the show is. I can't imagine any version of a S3 that will make everyone happy and fulfill everyone's dreams and expectations of what it could/should be, especially since the very few signs we've had do seem to point to it being quite a different kettle of fish from the original series. For decades I had truly thought TP was "dead as a doornail," in Lynch's words, so I'm just incredibly grateful right now for anything and everything that is happening, and I loved and savored every page of the book.
ScibenX

Post by ScibenX »

Far more than the meta-mysteries and puzzles, what I love most about this book are the moments that give new depth to those characters that we love so much, and were perhaps given short shrift by the later events of Season 2. The love for this world and these characters shine far brighter than any "inaccuracies", intentional or not.

Hawk's journals were amazing (as was hearing it in Michael Horse's voice), and I found his recollection of the Big Ed-Norma-Nadine-Hank love triangle felt much more real than the short version told on the show (and that's one of my all-time favorite scenes). That a "mistake" I'm happy to accept so that all four of those characters can be richer and more alive.

The tribute to Margaret Lanterman was lovely and heartbreaking - the full story of her early years, courtship with her husband and his untimely death struck that perfect, difficult balance between explaining why she is the way she is, and explaining nothing at all. If we never see the Log Lady again, this was a fitting send-off.

It's also nice to have a "definitive" version of the Andrew Packard saga, which became so convoluted in the show that I, for one, stopped caring about the details. One gets the sense that Frost was reclaiming this storyline, giving it a sense of clarity and dignity before sending it off into the sunset. (I'll admit, I was hoping we'd learn more about the fate of Josie and the existence of a certain sister named Judy, but I'll keep a candle burning for Joan Chen in Season 3.)

If I had one wish, it's that Pete Martell received an even fonder farewell (on par with the Log Lady). Sure, the taste of his backstory with Catherine was great, and he did get to heroically sacrifice himself to save Audrey, but the man deserved more and you can never have enough Pete in my book. Considering the relationship between Lynch and Nance, I'm hoping we'll get another memorial in S3, as it just isn't Twin Peaks without Pete.

These moments and so many more brought this long-time fan so much joy, and I'm certain than any secrets yet to be revealed will not change the heart of what we learned in this book. I can't thank Mark Frost and David Lynch enough for taking us back!

PS: I don't think anyone has answered this yet, so I'll keep asking - has anyone been able to decipher the bit of backwards-speak after the credits of the audiobook version?
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

It's "thank you for listening" isn't it? Sounded fairly clear to me - and vaguely Scottish-sounding
ScibenX

Post by ScibenX »

Dalai Cooper wrote:It's "thank you for listening" isn't it? Sounded fairly clear to me - and vaguely Scottish-sounding
Duh - thanks!
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

For me The book is a horrifying glimpse at What Could Have Been season 3 in case Lynch really stepped Down back in 2015
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

This may have been mentioned before but, according to the Cooper bio, the letter under Teresa Banks's fingernail appeared to be typed by a Smith-Corona Model 99. Not quite the same model used by the Archivist, and the Banks investigation in the book is wildly different from what we're shown in FWWM, but could be a clue of some sort...