Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Mordeen »

Some.
Yes.
Yes.

I don't believe Frost's statements of pure creative independence on this novel any more than I believe he's being serious about Lana as Miss Twin Peaks.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

About The whole TP/Archivist thing, are we forgetting that Cooper didn't solved Laura's murder at all?
_/\_wowbobwow_/\_

Post by _/\_wowbobwow_/\_ »

If it's just a case of Frost making the past what he wants it to be leading up to the new series and not caring about continuity, then he just doesn't understand the die-hard Twin Peaks fan and the obsession with the details of the show, even if everything hasn't been 100% accurate. It's either that or he was just very sloppy. I don't know, I can't believe that they are going to call season 3 a continuation, but eliminate a lot of what happened in season 2? Don't get me wrong, MT Wentz will not be missed from Twin Peaks main lore (other than Hank's Empty Who? joke), but Annie? Frost intentionally erasing "How's Annie" from the Twin Peaks lexicon? It doesn't make sense.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

I actually have a feeling MT Wentz could pop up somewhere down the line, but it's just a hunch... Her absence from the timeline -- along with Pete's 'checkers not chess', & Ben's surrender -- were the three flags that went off for me as intentional errors ('Mandela Effect' bells went off). With Wentz in particular, there's apparent motive for leaving her out (hiding Annie's existence). I also feel Frost would have motive to remember her: she's presumably named after the famous Theosopher Walter Evans-Wentz, not to mention the fact that she's a 'writer who hides her identity'... I don't know, might be something to it (although I'm not suggesting she's the secret author of the secret history or anything).

As a piece of art, I really quite loved the book! There were shortcomings, but the thrill of sinking back into the world just way overcame any for me. I especially got excited when Carl Rodd appeared! :D It is indeed a magical time to be a Peaks fan.
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Ross wrote:So Frost says that Lynch had nothing to do with the book. And that the idea to do it was his own. And that he came up with the dossier idea as the best way to do the book. So how much of the book do you think will even come up in S3? Will the dossier even be mentioned? Will it indeed be part of the plot?
I think some of it will come up in it. Maybe TP is indeed a character in the series as well and maybe she'll mention working on a mysterious dossier. But I think that the book will tie in with the series in a minor way.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

cowwithfivelegs wrote: Total speculation here on a half baked idea, but what if the discrepancies end up being the key to figuring out if Coop is Coop?
They certainly must exist for some reason. I don't buy that Mark Frost would make so many mistakes. There's something else at play. Most definitely. Whether we find that out in the show or in a follow up book is another question entirely.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

Do I believe that Mark Frost doesn't remember every little detail of all of Twin Peaks' often byzantine plotlines? Of course. Creators are rarely as knowledgeable about small details as hardcore fans are. A lot of these small goofs are undoubtedly just that. Goofs. But I also don't believe for one second that Mark Frost doesn't remember when the moon landing happened. I don't believe that he would approach this book with the kind of sloppy, cavalier attitude that would be necessary for him to screw up so much fairly important stuff. He's more professional than that.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

AgentCoop wrote:Do I believe that Mark Frost doesn't remember every little detail of all of Twin Peaks' often byzantine plotlines? Of course. Creators are rarely as knowledgeable about small details as hardcore fans are. A lot of these small goofs are undoubtedly just that. Goofs. But I also don't believe for one second that Mark Frost doesn't remember when the moon landing happened. I don't believe that he would approach this book with the kind of sloppy, cavalier attitude that would be necessary for him to screw up so much fairly important stuff. He's more professional than that.
Exactly.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Mace

Post by Mace »

While the TSHOTP may turn out to be more tangential than fans originally hoped for I don't think Lynch is as unaware or uninvolved as Frost infers. Lynch may not have written or contributed one word to the book. Lynch may not have read the book. Lynch may never read the book. But I believe Frost had to have shared the basic ideas and crucial elements of the book with Lynch and Lynch concurred and gave Frost his blessing. (However, keep in mind that these guys are masters of obfuscation.) Lynch may only care about where the book begins and where the book ends. To me, Lynch giving final-cut of the book to Frost is a wonderful gesture regarding the times where Lynch did not have final-cut (or full control) on his films.

I believe the book/season 3 combination will exemplify Lynch/Frost's "not too thought out/very thought out" approach.

This is also a way for Frost to step out of the shadows and get some well deserved attention because we know who is going to get the lions share of the attention when the series premieres.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mace wrote:While the TSHOTP may turn out to be more tangential than fans originally hoped for I don't think Lynch is as unaware or uninvolved as Frost infers. Lynch may not have written or contributed one word to the book. Lynch may not have read the book. Lynch may never read the book. But I believe Frost had to have shared the basic ideas and crucial elements of the book with Lynch and Lynch concurred and gave Frost his blessing. (However, keep in mind that these guys are masters of obfuscation.) Lynch may only care about where the book begins and where the book ends. To me, Lynch giving final-cut of the book to Frost is a wonderful gesture regarding the times where Lynch did not have final-cut (or full control) on his films.

I believe the book/season 3 combination will exemplify Lynch/Frost's "not too thought out/very thought out" approach.

This is also a way for Frost to step out of the shadows and get some well deserved attention because we know who is going to get the lions share of the attention when the series premieres.
Everything I wanted to say, but worded 10x better.
The creation of the book is all Frost, but the book is rooted in season 3, which is a shared effort. We'll see in due time which elements of the book feed directly into s3.

Personally, I feel that the expansion of the worldbuilding is important, that this book is mostly tangential when it comes to our beloved characters but is laying some solid groundwork on a different level.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

I posted this in its own thread but it may get more eyeballs here.

Mark Frost is doing an Ask Me Anything (AMA) event on /r/TwinPeaks over on Reddit on Monday, 11/7. Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... cocreator/
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
MaiTaiRob

Post by MaiTaiRob »

THEORY: Truman has not been re-cast. Forster IS playing Sheriff Truman, but it's Harry's brother Franklin.

Someone has altered the past, which I think is consistent with the stamp, Norma's revised history, and other changes from the original show.

I think it's either Cooper, or someone closely related to him, and I think they did it to protect the people he loves. Norma's changes protect Annie, so what if this person also altered Truman's family history to save his future self from Coop/BOB. Franklin stays sheriff, Truman never picks up the badge.

Originally, Phillip Jeffries was to play a part, and we know he has at least some time travelling abilities. He could have done it, or maybe "Good Dale." Perhaps if you figure out how to exit the Lodge, you can do so at any time. Perhaps Coop left the Lodge in the 70's or 60's (thus the stamp) and set about altering history to shield the people closest to him.

This could also explain allegedly-living characters of Leland and Laura, and would explain the weird "Doing it, then not doing it" stories surrounding Ontkean's involvement. I've always smelled misdirection when it comes to Ontkean's and Graham's involvement, so maybe they can still both come back if the timeline is righted during season 3.

Or, they're really out, because Coop cared enough about them to place them on paths that never cross his own.

Thoughts?
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Am I the only one who thinks that any inconsistencies are just errors (or oversights/retcons?). It's a big ass book, from all accounts he wrote it fairly quickly (as he seemed to indicate that he did the bulk of it while on set), and just generally I've found these really intense fan theories for various shows/movies/video games tend to add up to nothing.
You are not alone. Kind of dreading when the fan theory industry gets revved up during S3, especially given what's going on with Westworld.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

MaiTaiRob wrote:THEORY: Truman has not been re-cast. Forster IS playing Sheriff Truman, but it's Harry's brother Franklin.

Someone has altered the past, which I think is consistent with the stamp, Norma's revised history, and other changes from the original show.

I think it's either Cooper, or someone closely related to him, and I think they did it to protect the people he loves. Norma's changes protect Annie, so what if this person also altered Truman's family history to save his future self from Coop/BOB. Franklin stays sheriff, Truman never picks up the badge.

Originally, Phillip Jeffries was to play a part, and we know he has at least some time travelling abilities. He could have done it, or maybe "Good Dale." Perhaps if you figure out how to exit the Lodge, you can do so at any time. Perhaps Coop left the Lodge in the 70's or 60's (thus the stamp) and set about altering history to shield the people closest to him.

This could also explain allegedly-living characters of Leland and Laura, and would explain the weird "Doing it, then not doing it" stories surrounding Ontkean's involvement. I've always smelled misdirection when it comes to Ontkean's and Graham's involvement, so maybe they can still both come back if the timeline is righted during season 3.

Or, they're really out, because Coop cared enough about them to place them on paths that never cross his own.

Thoughts?
Both crazy and really good. Involving a lot of stuff that I had flying round my head the last weeks... :)

Something is off, that much we can almost be sure.
Just think of that hideous gigantic green jacket of his.

Something weird is going on here.