The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FittenTrim

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by FittenTrim »

Next episode of my podcast covers pages 66-141 (aka the painful UFO sightings part :) )

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 1165641599

I'm trying to get the timeline correct across this confusing part of the book. Any assistance would be appreciated

1942 - Government seizes the land which they had settled the Nez Perce to build Hanford Engineering Company, moves them to nearby farm
May 26, 1945 - Fred Crisman claims to have meet Lemurians in Burma
December 1946 - Military transport plane goes down near Mt Rainier
June 21, 1947 - Muary Island incident - Harold Dahl & son are on the boat in
Puget Sound. 6 Doughnut-shaped ships drop object on boat; Crisman gets fragments
1947 - Crisman mails fragment to magazine editor Ray Palmer
June 24/25, 1947 - Kenneth Arnold looks for Military Plane that went down, sees flying saucers
July 4/5, 1947 - United Airlines pilot Emil J Smith sees 9 silver discs tween Boise & Seattle
July 5, 1947 - Roswell, NM - alien crash which Dougie spies on
July 12, 1947 - Milford & Nathan interview Arnold
1947 - Doug Milford scares Dahl into shutting up, takes his son
Sept 4, 1947: 7:30pm: Air Force Captain (lieutenant Dan Luhrman) sees/pursues “silvery white” Flying Discs in Twin Peaks. TP retired mill worker Einer Jennings
Sept 8, 1947: 2:30pm: Douglas Milford sees “silver” Flying Discs in Twin Peaks and the 3 children: Carl Rodd, Maggie Coulson & Alan Traherne
Fall 1947 - B-25 carrying Davidson & Brown and fragments crashes
Spring 1948 - Kenneth Arnold written piece for Fate Magazine gets published
Spring 1948 - Milford visits Palmer, steals cigar box with fragments
1949- officials in Hanford release uranium into environment in Hanford; didn't warn Nez Perce
Twin Peaks: The Gifted and the Damned Podcast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 1165641599
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

All these alternate timeline/reality things are too easy. I expect more from Frost, Lynch, and co, and fully expect something at least as great as they have provided in the past.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

The Jumping Man wrote:The postmark on the moon landing stamp on Norma's postcard is a mistake by the book's graphics team. No one caught it. So factor that into your theories about every mistake in the book having some hidden meaning.
Interesting, thanks for the update! Did he happen to mention Lana as miss Twin Peaks '89? I know he seemed to do that almost by rote at the first few signings, but Beano reported a few pages back that Frost referred to Lana as "miss twin peaks 1989, or at least the runner up" in a recent interview...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Cappy wrote:
- If Annie no longer exists or is forgotten by the characters, this is hardly a new phenomenon. I was always a little puzzled by the last episode of Twin Peaks, where Annie has been kidnapped and taken to the Black Lodge, yet Norma is seen smiling and in a general celebratory mood with Ed (well, before Nadine comes to anyway). Very strange behavior for a sister, no? Also, Shelly is seen joking with Bobby at the Double R (where Annie worked), even re-enacting dialogue from the first episode with Heidi. Like time is re-setting itself to before Annie's arrival in Twin Peaks. If anything, these discrepancies (or just curiosities) from the final episode just made me appreciate the obvious continuity issues in Secret History even more.
Very interesting theory
GoodMorningAmerica
Roadhouse Member

Post by GoodMorningAmerica »

The Jumping Man wrote: The postmark on the moon landing stamp on Norma's postcard is a mistake by the book's graphics team. No one caught it. So factor that into your theories about every mistake in the book having some hidden meaning.
I was at the panel too. He did say to the group that the stamp was a mistake. But then there's also this: https://twitter.com/thornewip/status/795391590047084545

So I guess the Q&A is not what it seems.
GoodMorningAmerica
Roadhouse Member

Post by GoodMorningAmerica »

Saturn's child wrote: Interesting, thanks for the update! Did he happen to mention Lana as miss Twin Peaks '89? I know he seemed to do that almost by rote at the first few signings, but Beano reported a few pages back that Frost referred to Lana as "miss twin peaks 1989, or at least the runner up" in a recent interview...

He did not mention Lana at all, at least not during the group Q&A.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

GoodMorningAmerica wrote:
The Jumping Man wrote: The postmark on the moon landing stamp on Norma's postcard is a mistake by the book's graphics team. No one caught it. So factor that into your theories about every mistake in the book having some hidden meaning.
I was at the panel too. He did say to the group that the stamp was a mistake. But then there's also this: https://twitter.com/thornewip/status/795391590047084545

So I guess the Q&A is not what it seems.
Saying that the postcard "could be a forgery" sounds more like Frost being cagey/pragmatic, rather than hinting that it's part of some grandiose plan. I'm much more inclined to give credence to his concrete public admission that his team made an embarrassing mistake than to read meaning into a vague, off-hand comment made when he was "pressed." (We also don't know how leading Thorne's question was -- did he ask Frost if it could be a forgery, and Frost merely answered, "Sure"?).

Since we know that Frost is already planning a sequel, it's possible that the wheels are turning and he's thinking of ways to spin some of these inconsistencies into plot points (after all, the most terrifying villain in the TP saga was born from a shooting gaffe). But based on everything we know, I really think that those holding onto a theory that all the inconsistencies will add up to some carefully-planned deeply satisfying plot revelation are cruising for disappointment.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

I must say, contrary of what I first thought, The Lewis and Clark part, then Lewis story, was really interesting. I now want to find more about him. And poor Chief Joseph being robbed of his land and then hunted down with his people and then imprisoned and put in a reserve. It was sad and again I want to find more about him. I liked how the Nez-percé seems to have received help from a powerful being (the White Lodge?) that dried out the river so Chief Joseph could get trough the mountain and escape their pursuers. All in all for now, and after so many dismissive comments, that book is a pleasant surprise.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

sure everyone knows, but Frost is doing a Reddit AMA right now. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... win_peaks/
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Pinky wrote:sure everyone knows, but Frost is doing a Reddit AMA right now. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... win_peaks/
If he was the one doing the typing, no wonder it took him and Lynch 3 years to write the script. :-)
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
R B T

Post by R B T »

[–]Coops_Coffee
The book is called the SECRET history of twin peaks not the MYSTERIOUS history of twin peaks. Is this a clue? Possibly indicating that the book/dossier itself is meant to cover something up or mislead someone?
permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply
[–]MarkFrostTwinPeaks[S]
It is a clue. You have to decide what it means.
[–]AndreasHalskov
Hello Mark, I am a huge fan. I like the idea of doing the book as a dossier. Would it make sense to see "Fire Walk with Me" and "The Secret History of Twin Peaks" as new layers to the mystery, rather than new pieces of the puzzle? In any case, your book certainly is puzzling, and I cannot help but feel that somebody has tampered with the dossier...
[–]MarkFrostTwinPeaks[S]
It takes many coats, or layers, of paint to finish a portrait. After this last week I'm shocked, shocked I say, at your suggestion that someone in the FBI might have tampered with a dossier... ;-)
I thought these two bits from today's q&a were promising.
R B T

Post by R B T »

This one was good too:
[–]RitaCamilla
The book seems to be loaded with clues for fans to feast on. Is there anything to what appears to be grid lines on the slip cover of The Secret History of Twin Peaks?
[–]MarkFrostTwinPeaks[S]
There is something to it.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I've not heard the grid line things mentioned before. Interesting.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
R B T

Post by R B T »

[–]SnailCooper
Considering his major role in the recent book versus the show, did you have all of this planned from the beginning for Doug Milford or did you have a role to fill and thought he would be a good character for it?

[–]MarkFrostTwinPeaks[S]
Doug's past always struck me as a potential goldmine. Didn't get to start digging into it until I started the book.
Considering that Frost also said he didn't start working on the book until after his work on season 3 was done, it sounds as though Dougie's past will not factor into season 3.
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

Frost is obviously an Arthur Conan Doyle aficionado (List of 7, 6 Messiahs). We already know of one crossover from 6 Messiahs - Denver Bob appears in that book and SHoTP. I would suggest that Frost also somewhat borrowed the structure of SHoTP from The Hound of the Baskerville. That book leads with a curse on a family being explained. In SHoTP, the curse is on the town of TP after the improper actions of the US on Chief Joseph & Co. Then, there are two red herrings as to a murderer and another who appear to be behind murder which prompts the investigation. In SHoTP, the red herrings, I think, are the UFO stories. Although one of those red herrings in The Hound does play into how Holmes eventually solves the murder, so there is a tie-in for plot purposes. Then a series of letters from Dr. Watson, an unreliable narrator. In SHoTP, that could be Cooper's bookhouse boys writings and/or the Archivist's "mistakes" about Martell and checkers, leaving out Annie and Windom Earle, etc. Then, Holmes solves the crime. This is where the analogy gets strained, but in SHoTP, Milford does come to a realization about his life's work and what it all means, and explains it in detail to the Archivist/"Briggs".